League Cup 2023-24

Evening all. Bit keen in asking, I know, but wondering when the league cup draw takes place?

I'm thinking May at some stage?

Just trying to get my (almost) annual pilgrimage with the kids sorted.

Trying to add another 3/4 grounds again this time round.

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/05/2023 at 16:35, Artemis said:

Draw on Thursday 8 June at 1pm.

SPFL News

Thanks, that's great. ๐Ÿ™‚

Do they produce the fixture rounds at the same time, or does that tend to be a bit later? Hoping to make two rounds of fixtures i.e. midweek and then he following weekend. Fingers crossed for a Friday night match and maybe even a Europa League or Conference League fixture (not sure who that would be?!)

On 18/05/2023 at 12:10, barnseytheclaret said:

Thanks, that's great. ๐Ÿ™‚

Do they produce the fixture rounds at the same time, or does that tend to be a bit later? Hoping to make two rounds of fixtures i.e. midweek and then he following weekend. Fingers crossed for a Friday night match and maybe even a Europa League or Conference League fixture (not sure who that would be?!)

Canโ€™t see a Friday game. More Saturday/Sunday for tv but guess with the broadcaster they can do what they wantย 

• 2 weeks later...

Scottish League cup Draw will take place on Thursday at 1pm. The livestream for the event can be found here.

ย 

ย 

I haven't seen anyone post the seeding/groupings and I know it's in the new format started last year. Hopefully they will post them soon.

27 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

I haven't seen anyone post the seeding/groupings and I know it's in the new format started last year. Hopefully they will post them soon.

1st seeds - St Mirren, Motherwell, Livingston, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Ross County,ย 
Dundee Utd, Dundee.

2nd seeds - Ayr, Queens Park, Partick Thistle, Morton, Inverness CT, Raith Rovers, Arbroath, Hamilton.

Unseeded - Cove Rangers, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Airdrieonians, Alloa, QOS, Edinburgh, Montrose, Kelty Hearts, Clyde, Peterhead, Stirling, Dumbarton, Annan, East Fife, Forfar, Stenhousemuir, Stranraer, Bonnyrigg Rose, Elgin, Albion Rovers, Brechin, Spartans, Buckie Thistle/Stirling Uni.

I'd imagine it would be that based on last seasons standings.

3 minutes ago, CM. said:

1st seeds - St Mirren, Motherwell, Livingston, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Ross County,ย 
Dundee Utd, Dundee.

2nd seeds - Ayr, Queens Park, Partick Thistle, Morton, Inverness CT, Raith Rovers, Arbroath, Hamilton.

Unseeded - Cove Rangers, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Airdrieonians, Alloa, QOS, Edinburgh, Montrose, Kelty Hearts, Clyde, Peterhead, Stirling, Dumbarton, Annan, East Fife, Forfar, Stenhousemuir, Stranraer, Bonnyrigg Rose, Elgin, Albion Rovers, Brechin, Spartans, Buckie Thistle/Stirling Uni.

But isn't it 5 different pots now? That's what last seasons draw was based on and it was the first non regional groups stage draw.

ย 

The only difference I believe it would make is for the "Unseeded" to be split into 3 seperate pots but who knows.

47 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Is this due to be on Viaplay? Might be persuaded to part with my 59 quid if they are going to show some ofnthe group games as Premier did.

I would imagine that there will be group games on tv again this year as it is the same contract that Premier Sports had for showing league cup games that Viaplay have I am sure.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Is this due to be on Viaplay? Might be persuaded to part with my 59 quid if they are going to show some ofnthe group games as Premier did.

I'd say there's a good chance theย Viaplay cup will feature onย Viaplay.ย ย 

17 hours ago, CM. said:

Dundee Utd, Dundee.

If those are the groups, I'd like to see QP again, as well as some places I've never been, or seen us play against - Annan, East Fife & Kelty would do nicely.

Cowdenbeath are in it this season.ย  No idea why :D

ย 

2023/24 VIAPLAY CUP DRAW SEEDINGS

THE SPFL HAS CONFIRMED THE SEEDING POTS FOR THE VIAPLAY CUP GROUP STAGE DRAW, WHICH TAKES PLACE TOMORROW, THURSDAY JUNE 8, AT 1.00PM

The draw will be shown live by Viaplay Sports on Viaplay Xtra. Viaplay Xtra is available on Sky HD channel 420, Virgin HD 553, Samsung TV Player and on theย Viaplay streaming service. The draw will be made available on theย Viaplay YouTube channelย andย Viaplay Twitter page. You can also watch it on theย SPFL YouTube channel.

With five SPFL clubs again taking part in UEFA competitions next season, the group stage draw will involve the remaining 37 SPFL clubs from 2022/23, plus Highland League champions Brechin City and Lowland League champions The Spartans, who won promotion to the SPFL last month.

Cowdenbeath, who were relegated from cinch League 2 in 2022, have accepted an invitation to take the remaining space in this yearโ€™s first round group stage.

As was the case last season, there is no regionalised aspect to the group stage draw. The 40 participating clubs will be split into five seeding pots based on final league placings in season 2022/23. One club from each pot will be drawn into the eight Groups A-H.

The 2023/24 Viaplay Cup begins on the weekend of July 15/16, with further matchdays on July 18/19, July 22/23, July 25/26 and July 29/30.

The eight group winners and three best runners-up will join European entrants Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian in the last 16 of the competition on the weekend of August 19/20.

Seeding pots and club numbers

Pot 1
1ย St Mirren
2ย Motherwell
3ย Livingston
4ย St Johnstone
5ย Kilmarnock
6ย Ross County
7ย Dundee United
8ย Dundee

Pot 2
9 Ayr United
10 Queenโ€™s Park
11 Partick Thistle
12 Greenock Morton
13 Inverness Caledonian Thistle
14 Raith Rovers
15 Arbroath
16 Hamilton Academical

Pot 3
17 Cove Rangers
18 Dunfermline Athletic
19 Falkirk
20 Airdrieonians
21 Alloa Athletic
22 Queen of the South
23 FC Edinburgh
24 Montrose

Pot 4
25 Kelty Hearts
26 Clyde
27 Peterhead
28 Stirling Albion
29 Dumbarton
30 Annan Athletic
31 East Fife
32 Forfar Athletic

Pot 5
33 Stenhousemuir
34 Stranraer
35 Bonnyrigg Rose
36 Elgin City
37 Albion Rovers
38 Brechin City
39 The Spartans
40 Cowdenbeath

Just now, Ignoramus said:

https://spfl.co.uk/news/202324-viaplay-cup-draw-seedingsย 

The five pots for the draw tomorrow are confirmed in here. Iโ€™m a bit confused, why are Brechin and Cowden included here?

Presume itโ€™s some form of legacy thing from their time in the SPFL, but it seems pretty unfair to the sides who finished ahead of them in the HL and LL?

Brechin won the Highland league so are in.ย  Cowden were invited in as we're big time....

22 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

But isn't it 5 different pots now? That's what last seasons draw was based on and it was the first non regional groups stage draw.

ย 

The only difference I believe it would make is for the "Unseeded" to be split into 3 seperate pots but who knows.

Confirmed as 5 different pots. I never actually realised that was the case last year.