League Cup 2023-24

3 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Cowdenbeath are in it this season.  No idea why :D

Because there's a space due to 5 teams in Europe which was previously filled by a LL club, then a HL club, having tossed a coin to decide the order.

This season it seems like they can't be bothered continuing the trend back to the 2nd place LL club (Stirling Uni) so have invited some shite from 15th place. Not even the best ex-SPFL club in the LL...

Edited by Ginaro

2 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Because there's a space due to 5 teams in Europe which was previously filled by a LL club, then a HL club, having tossed a coin to decide the order.

This season it seems like they can't be bothered continuing the trend back to the 2nd place LL club (Stirling Uni) so have invited some shite from 15th place. Not even the best ex-SPFL club in the LL...

Must be the team with the biggest support then.

👀

The 15th placed team in the Lowland League being invited ahead of the 23 teams who finished in a higher place in the pyramid and aren't in the tournament is absolutely bizarre.

Is this the bribe they negotiated for their pro B-Team scabbing?

4 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

https://twitter.com/journeyman09/status/1666448158124113922?s=46&t=xx9Ex2zXIRB0fka6YNgXRQ

Stirling Uni manager none too happy it seems about this latest development…

I presume it's because we're the last team to be relegated who weren't already in the draw?  Very unusual way of deciding it.  Really should be based on sporting merit but I'm sure nobody at Cowden will be complaining about this.

1 minute ago, The Minertaur said:

I presume it's because we're the last team to be relegated who weren't already in the draw?  Very unusual way of deciding it.  Really should be based on sporting merit but I'm sure nobody at Cowden will be complaining about this.

Aye, that was my thought too.

Quite happy with that TBH. It'll be nice for all the league clubs to have a final chance to say goodbye.

21 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

That principle didn't apply to Berwick Rangers last season.

Assuming they keep the same H / A formula based on pots as last year, as a pot 2 team we're home to pots 3 and 5 and away to 1 and 4

Pot 1 we are absolutely nailed on to get Ross County, in fact I'll be disappointed if they don't rig the draw to ensure this

Pot 3 meh, home tie, who cares as long as it's not Dunfermline or Airdrie who are in same league

Pot 4, Stirling or Annan we've not played in over 10 years and both are good away trips, Kelty would be a new ground for a competitive fixture, so Dumbarton it is

Pot 5, gutting these are only playable at home for us, guess Bonnyrigg or Spartans would be a new opponent which is at least slightly novel

28 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

It's not a fair play prize or something is it? No idea what your record's like. 

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's not a fair play prize or something is it? No idea what your record's like. 

Surely they'd say if that was the reason?  Also I think we had a few red cards so would be surprised if we were the best in the league.

I'd say it's because we've got the best programme in the Lowland/Highland League.

Edited by The Minertaur

Two years ago: The new, additional slot in the group stage will be taken this year by East Kilbride, who finished as runners-up in the Lowland League this season. This follows the drawing of lots between East Kilbride and Fraserburgh, the Highland League runners-up.

One year ago: The additional slot will be taken by Highland League runners-up Buckie Thistle, following a decision by the SPFL Board, as the Lowland League were given the extra place last season.

Today: Cowdenbeath, who were relegated from cinch League 2 in 2022 and finished 15th in the Lowland League, have accepted an invitation to take the remaining space in this year’s first round group stage.

(I added the bit in bold)

It's clearly a conscious decision and break with previous practice.

Just last year place went to Buckie (2nd in HL) - not Brechin who'd been relegated 12 months before but finished below them.

Nor were Cowdenbeath highest-placed this year among clubs that have previously been relegated from SPFL.