What will you be doing on Saturday?

4 hours ago, deegee said:

I watched it all yesterday as I am quite interested in history and find these pageants fascinating. It’s incredible to think a lot of the formalities and ceremonies date back many hundreds of years.

Having said that, I think I preferred the funeral last Autumn. Better music and not as drawn out. 

I found it rather gross. Maybe it's my somewhat puritanical upbringing,  I don't know.

As for history, some product designer hasn't studied much....

https://woodbridgekitchencompany.co.uk/product/best-of-british-cardboard-cakestand/

Edited by beefybake

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Heard this woman on the radio saying attending the royal panto pish was a “once in a lifetime” opportunity. The new boy is a 75 year old sausage-fingered ruddy-faced pickled jaikey. We’ll have all this to go through again in the next decade.

A woman I knew moaned about how it was costing her thousands of pounds to take her family down to see the Millennium Dome, but that it was worthwhile because it was a once in a lifetime thing and her kids would remember it for the rest of their lives. In case anyone's forgotten, the Millennium Dome was a notoriously ill-thought out waste of time, and became a national joke long before it even opened for the public to visit.

When she came back, she was moaning about how it'd been utter shite and her kids had been bored stupid. You can't buy memories like that.

9 minutes ago, BTFD said:

A woman I knew moaned about how it was costing her thousands of pounds to take her family down to see the Millennium Dome, but that it was worthwhile because it was a once in a lifetime thing and her kids would remember it for the rest of their lives. In case anyone's forgotten, the Millennium Dome was a notoriously ill-thought out waste of time, and became a national joke long before it even opened for the public to visit.

When she came back, she was moaning about how it'd been utter shite and her kids had been bored stupid. You can't buy memories like that.

I suppose that woman can still say they’ve been to the O2, now it’s been rebranded. I got on a boat out to it. Must have been pretty unremarkable as I can’t remember a thing about it.

What’s this thread about again?

17 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I suppose that woman can still say they’ve been to the O2, now it’s been rebranded. I got on a boat out to it. Must have been pretty unremarkable as I can’t remember a thing about it.

What’s this thread about again?

What you're doing on Saturday.

It's going to be a bit anticlimactic after the summer. Hundreds of "thought I might go watch the football" posts.

21 minutes ago, BTFD said:

What you're doing on Saturday.

It's going to be a bit anticlimactic after the summer. Hundreds of "thought I might go watch the football" posts.

The Saturday thread. Fair enough. Charlie has had his day.

This place is usually lost during the close season, but there’s the play-offs, then the Scottish Cup Final, then I suppose there’s a couple of Scotland games in June to focus on. And then 💥 it’s next season.

I was in Tokyo blissfully unaware about all the crap leading up to it. 

Got back to the apartment and found a link to St Johnstone  the Saintees  v United game.  With benefit of hindsight I would have been watching ole jug ears (Charlie. Not Billy Dodds) as we turned in yet another insipid performance and deservedly  got pumped.

20230506_112527.jpg

I had planned to climb a couple of Munro’s by the Drumochtar pass on Saturday, but when we stopped in the lay-by on the A9 it was absolutely pouring down.  We ended up going back down to Blair Atholl and walked Glen Tilt instead, it stayed dry and the sun even came out.

we managed the Drumochtar hills yesterday and chatted with a couple of fellow hill walkers on the summit. They almost seemed to congratulated us for managing to avoid Saturdays circus down in The Smoke. 

I have to admit that I caught a bit of it on the evening news, but am glad I didn’t watch anymore during the day.

No one should have to bow down or pledge allegiance to anyone for no other reason than who they were born to! 

On 07/05/2023 at 08:38, deegee said:

I watched it all yesterday as I am quite interested in history and find these pageants fascinating. It’s incredible to think a lot of the formalities and ceremonies date back many hundreds of years.

Having said that, I think I preferred the funeral last Autumn. Better music and not as drawn out. 

Don't kid yourself.  Read "The Invention of Tradition".  A lot of traditions have less history that you might think.

They had a fancy ceremony when Charles became Prince of Wales.  A long tradition maybe?  No.  The first and only time it  was done.

Do you think anyone checked how the coronation was done last time?  I doubt it.  No need to look at the cookbook, the ingredients are always the same.  Lots of people wearing silly costumes, boring speechs and hymns, maybe a bit of Latin and everybody looking very serious.

Either it is the same as before ("how lovely") or it had been "modernised" (also "how lovely").

For me, it looks totally out of place in the 21st century and totally detached from the lives of most people.

Thankfully I managed to avoid it.

On 07/05/2023 at 21:56, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

I spent yesterday visiting friends in Thurso. As far away from all the shite as possible. Tremendous 

I'm surprised there was no nonsense up that way,I was watching highland amateur cup games up there on jubilee weekend last year&there were real pain in the arse road diversions due to a street party in castletown,not far from thurso

1 hour ago, highlandmac said:

I'm surprised there was no nonsense up that way,I was watching highland amateur cup games up there on jubilee weekend last year&there were real pain in the arse road diversions due to a street party in castletown,not far from thurso

The odd bit of bunting or garish shop display but nothing too horrendous 

1 hour ago, highlandmac said:

I went to see Ness v Portree in Lewis last year on the Jubilee weekend and they were holding a party at the social club so they had bunting and big pictures of the Queen everywhere. Was chatting with the manager before the game and he was a bit embarrassed about it all, hoping that Portree, predominantly Catholic apparently, wouldn't think it was directed at them, half joking..