Cove relegated

20 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

The loathsome West Lothian money launderers are the one club I would happily see disappear altogether.

Like cockroaches, they never die and will inherit Scottish football millions of years from now, once sectarianism dies out and Celtgers fold.

5 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

While I have zero sympathy for the relegation of a club who got promoted purely by chucking money at it (see Gretna and hopefully Queens Park and  Kelty in the not too distant future) it's a shame for @CoveRangers1922 who is an eminently nice guy and one of the best posters on the site.

Yeah, decent point. You feel for the long term genuine supporters of clubs when some over-rich, over-entitled egomaniac takes over their club for an unsustainable short term fun ride. The SPFL or the SFA or both should have some kind of veto or approval for the financial fitness/sustainability of such takeovers to protect our game.

27 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Yeah, decent point. You feel for the long term genuine supporters of clubs when some over-rich, over-entitled egomaniac takes over their club for an unsustainable short term fun ride. The SPFL or the SFA or both should have some kind of veto or approval for the financial fitness/sustainability of such takeovers to protect our game.

100% you'd have thought they would have learned their lesson from Gretna. But nope, same shit different day with them.

3 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

People used to say that about Hamilton, who now look like a club in free fall.

Comparing Hamilton to Livingston? That's fightin' talk, surely!  :o

9 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

Cove are a funny bunch. They’re the first club to really breakthrough into the SPFL and have a good go at it and by all means they did it well.

I’m all for competition and progression but it’s teams like Cove and QP who only reinforce the tinpot narrative of Scottish football. Two teams that would offer absolutely nothing to the top league. 

Perhaps I’m just jealous but there’s a level of bitterness that comes from seeing teams fling cash and have success. 

Cove down *chefs kiss* 

I remember back when I watched Meadowbank that after seasons of mid table mediocrity Airdriedonians spent a good deal of cash by Division 1 standards and got promoted to the Premier Division as was. Where they did quite well for a couple of seasons granted 

7 hours ago, badgerthewitness said:

People used to say that about Hamilton, who now look like a club in free fall.

Ah but questionable ownership aside, Hamilton don’t have the alternate revenue stream to augment their public utterances of “shoestring budget”.

4 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

100% you'd have thought they would have learned their lesson from Gretna. But nope, same shit different day with them.

……and sometimes, the same people. Clearly, Willie Haughey is divesting himself of a chunk of his wealth via QP. I think the same man was part of the “every provincial club should look to Livingston as the shining example as to how things should be done” story too.

As way of punishment, every club bar one that has indulged in the game of “run up debts but never pay them” is now in the top flight……..Sevco, Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee (twice) and Livingston (twice).

Edited by Duncan Freemason

6 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

……and sometimes, the same people. Clearly, Willie Haughey is divesting himself of a chunk of his wealth via QP. I think the same man was part of the “every provincial club should look to Livingston as the shining example as to how things should be done” story too.

As way of punishment, every club bar one that has indulged in the game of “run up debts but never pay them” is now in the top flight……..Sevco, Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee (twice) and Livingston (twice).

Only one missing is Dunfermline

18 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

While I have zero sympathy for the relegation of a club who got promoted purely by chucking money at it (see Gretna and hopefully Queens Park and  Kelty in the not too distant future) it's a shame for @CoveRangers1922 who is an eminently nice guy and one of the best posters on the site.

Agreed, I remember last season he was an excellent poster when Cove were running away with the league.

I still think they'll be a decent side next season, but I think/hope a season like last year will be well beyond them now.

10 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I make it at least 3 times for everybody's favourite West Lothian failed franchise

Blobby, Keane & Co, the mad Italian...

9 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I make it at least 3 times for everybody's favourite West Lothian failed franchise

Blobby, Keane & Co, the mad Italian...

They have had two formal administrations. I know there was stuff when the franchise started but it wasn’t an administration.

8 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Agreed, I remember last season he was an excellent poster when Cove were running away with the league.

I still think they'll be a decent side next season, but I think/hope a season like last year will be well beyond them now.

Pretty much starting from scratch with the playing squad. Maybe 6/7 will remaining who are still under contract I think. 
Going to have to get it right straight off but think it’s proven harder to get players to join especially part time and dropping down a league. 
Agree I don’t think will be the same animal they were last time in league 1. 

1 hour ago, Moorie said:

Pretty much starting from scratch with the playing squad. Maybe 6/7 will remaining who are still under contract I think. 
Going to have to get it right straight off but think it’s proven harder to get players to join especially part time and dropping down a league. 
Agree I don’t think will be the same animal they were last time in league 1. 

The post match interview on Friday night was more positive than I expected given the outcome.

Fully focussed on returning to the Championship, described all our deficiencies, mentioned he would recruit younger, more energetic, stronger leaders. Sounded promising, easy to say and harder to do. I think he will get a very competitive budget BUT can Hartley build a brand new squad. Hasn't exactly excelled at that previously and therefore I'm very interested/nervous to see his first few signings. 

No more journeymen looking for their last gig and I think he will be brutal with the clear out. At least 12 out, maybe more. Just hope he hasn't pissed off some that we need to stay. We undoubtedly let a couple go too earlier this season (McKenzie and Rory). Neither would have lit up the league but better options than what we were left with. 

There will be big changes ahead. Gets it right we can mount a challenge. We definitely dipped our toes in the Championship conservatively this season and it failed. Hopefully the brief taste will give us a greater impetus to get back. Not an easy task.

Looking forward to it all the same.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

18 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Dundee, Livingston, Gretna, Celtic Nation... all clubs who could have, should have or did go bust.  Queen of the South teetered on the brink and had to pass the donations bucket around.

The moral of the story is, never let Colin McMenamin anywhere near your football club.  Be afraid, Annan, be very afraid...