Cove relegated

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Hopefully, I don't understand what's in it for people to continually chuck money at something which is unsustainable. I can see the attraction early on because you get a lot of success, quickly getting into the league, and getting out of League 2 and even League 1 generally doesn't take too long or too much money. But the investment to continue to compete at Championship level, never mind get promoted, is off the scale. What's in it for them to throw money to slog it out going nowhere? If you don't have a fan base that allows some level of sustainability in the future then it all seems rather pointless.

Queens Park the same 

58 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Did the excitement not take a bit longer to evaporate?

I recall a pre-season friendly with Aberdeen, I think, which cranked up the optimism further.  Was the league form rotten from the outset?

There was a degree of raving, yes, but perhaps the not-entirely-serious-ness of it has slipped opposing fans by. Especially when half of it was about their looks FFS!

He had signed exceptionally well in the January, so we had no reason to doubt that this would continue into the summer.

I wasn't at the pre season games, but I was at the Montrose LC game where we (unthinkably at the time) lost. We genuinely looked like 11 fans had been chosen at random out the crowd to play, it was that bad. Much, much worse than just new players needing to gel - these guys clearly could not play football to anything like an appropriate level. The fact it turned out to be an entire squad and not just a few duds is still staggering to me.

Of course McKinnon almost saved us, and really should have, but shat the bed near the end.

5 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

There was a degree of raving, yes, but perhaps the not-entirely-serious-ness of it has slipped opposing fans by. Especially when half of it was about their looks FFS!

Plenty of it was perfectly serious and had nothing to do with anyone's looks.

I should know, remember.  I trawled through loads of such posts when you got relegated.

14 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

He had signed exceptionally well in the January, so we had no reason to doubt that this would continue into the summer.

I wasn't at the pre season games, but I was at the Montrose LC game where we (unthinkably at the time) lost. We genuinely looked like 11 fans had been chosen at random out the crowd to play, it was that bad. Much, much worse than just new players needing to gel - these guys clearly could not play football to anything like an appropriate level. The fact it turned out to be an entire squad and not just a few duds is still staggering to me.

Of course McKinnon almost saved us, and really should have, but shat the bed near the end.

That day where the Twitter administrator was teasing signings left and right was a great laugh, and exactly like you say, most of it was folk having a bit of fun. But there's even Falkirk fans who still rattle on about it like folk actually believed looks matter so it's not surprising that other fans didn't maybe catch the less serious side of it

31 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I should know, remember.  I trawled through loads of such posts when you got relegated.

You did, but you have missed the tongue in cheek-ness of a good proportion of it, and that's a shame. No further correspondence will be entered into on this matter.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

To be fair who expected the Chelsea U23 captain to be an awful footballer.

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Hopefully, I don't understand what's in it for people to continually chuck money at something which is unsustainable. I can see the attraction early on because you get a lot of success, quickly getting into the league, and getting out of League 2 and even League 1 generally doesn't take too long or too much money. But the investment to continue to compete at Championship level, never mind get promoted, is off the scale. What's in it for them to throw money to slog it out going nowhere? If you don't have a fan base that allows some level of sustainability in the future then it all seems rather pointless.

You can see how some folk might want to spend some of their fortune on boosting the profile of the town/area, try to bring in more investment, create jobs for local people, etc. Y'know, philanthropy. If they're thinking ahead far enough, they might even aim to increase the club's support on a generational basis. Sounds like a pretty satisfying and noble aim.

Then you get the folk who aren't interested in any of that, and just want to spend some of their silly money on creating a monument to their own ego. I'm surprised we haven't seen more of it in Scotland, as someone like Ryan Reynolds could spend their beer money establishing, say, Stirling Albion in third place in the Premiership and cackle "I DID THIS! ME! ALL ON MY OWN! MWAHAHA!" in their bedroom mirror.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

You did, but you have missed the tongue in cheek-ness of a good proportion of it, and that's a shame. No further correspondence will be entered into on this matter.

I didn't miss it.

I ignored it because the serious ones are funnier.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Did the excitement not take a bit longer to evaporate?

I recall a pre-season friendly with Aberdeen, I think, which cranked up the optimism further.  Was the league form rotten from the outset?

It must have evaporated really quickly tbh. I can mind the Falkirk fans saying it would be a comfortable win for us when we went up there. I actually apologised post match for not believing how shite they truly were as I obviously thought their pre-match pessimism was a lie. I looked back and it was the 25th of August the day Dobbie destroyed them. 

Edited by 19QOS19

I think any optimism ended at the ICT game at the start of the season.

Let’s be honest. The majority of the support feel less aggrieved by Sheerin than Hartley.

Sheerin came across as a decent human being. Hartley came across as a vile little piece of work.

Most of those who continued to attend did so out of a sense of morbid curiosity rather than team support.

Edited by Duncan Freemason

While I have zero sympathy for the relegation of a club who got promoted purely by chucking money at it (see Gretna and hopefully Queens Park and  Kelty in the not too distant future) it's a shame for @CoveRangers1922 who is an eminently nice guy and one of the best posters on the site.

Edited by cb_diamond

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

It must have evaporated really quickly tbh. I can mind the Falkirk fans saying it would be a comfortable win for us when we went up there. I actually apologised post match for not believing how shite they truly were as I obviously thought their pre-match pessimism was a lie. I looked back and it was the 25th of August the day Dobbie destroyed them. 

As I said, in the first League Cup game v Montrose it was all hideously apparent.

12 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

While I have zero sympathy for the relegation of a club who got promoted purely by chucking money at it (see Gretna and hopefully Queens Park and  Kelty in the not too distant future) it's a shame for @CoveRangers1922 who is an eminently nice guy and one of the best posters on the site.

Cheers. One of you, Bairns or Alloa in with a real shot of promotion. Whoever goes up give it more of a go than we did please.

Looking forward to watching the playoffs

Cove are a funny bunch. They’re the first club to really breakthrough into the SPFL and have a good go at it and by all means they did it well.

I’m all for competition and progression but it’s teams like Cove and QP who only reinforce the tinpot narrative of Scottish football. Two teams that would offer absolutely nothing to the top league. 

Perhaps I’m just jealous but there’s a level of bitterness that comes from seeing teams fling cash and have success. 

Cove down *chefs kiss* 

7 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Perhaps I’m just jealous but there’s a level of bitterness that comes from seeing teams fling cash and have success. 

I think it depends on how they do it. I seem to remember Gretna having some whoppers in their support, so between them and Mileson whinging about not being parachuted straight into the SPL because he had money[citation needed], nobody was too sad when the wheels fell off. Fulham fans - after following a tinpot shithole wee club for decades - liked to chant "we'll never play you again" against the diddies when Al Fayed bought them.

B'Jesus, it always makes me smile when Brora remain in the Highland League, considering how they were going to be wiping the floor with us all a few seasons back.

Ross County will slip down the leagues once McGregor tires of his toy / dies ( though they are very well supported throughout the Highlands ).

The loathsome West Lothian money launderers are the one club I would happily see disappear altogether.