🔵⚪️St Johnstone v Motherwell🟢🟤 13/05/23 3pm

17 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Good to see big Mandron get on the score sheet, he looked fair delighted. Still far from convinced that he's very good, but he fairly puts himself about and plays with a smile on his face. Guid c**t imo.

If we can hold onto 7th place now,considering where we were will be some achievement. 

He was honking last week, couldn't chase a stroller.

5 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Connor McLennan can get in the fucking bin and then put that bin in the sea. Speedboat with no driver is probably giving him too much credit. 

Felt sorry for him at the end. We all know, and he knows, hes too shit to hit a cross field pass. Yet all his team mates force that to be the only option then moan like f**k when it goes wrong.

Same with MacPherson tbh, he gets the ball under pressure and team mates vanish.

Drey Wrights more central position is beginning to grate a bit already too, ends up deep and never runs at a full back. Genuinely think i preferred him as a wing back.

That second half was as bad as anything we’ve seen.

First half we passed it about a bit but didn’t have a single shot, second half was attrocious.  Motherwell started that match like they were on the beach and we didn’t even come close to taking advantage.

May didn’t do a single thing right today, dreadful service but why are we playing three across the front when he needs a partner?!

Worryingly it showed a familiar pattern of every change we made we looked worse, with us just randomly throwing on forwards.

Its been a while seen I’ve seen a more ‘couldn’t give a f**k’ performance than Maclennan gave at the end.  Fair play to him.

County and killie winning and we play them both away in our next two. A draw today would have been fine.

Looks fairly likely we’re playing Livi at home last game needing a win to stay up.

4 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

I queried last week if he's the slowest (fit - ignoring Tony Thomas et al) player we've ever had. 

If KVV is going we certainly need to do better. If KVV is staying...I'd still like us to do better tbh but I could understand keeping him if he's a cheap option.

Mandron, in fairness, actually has the cliched 'good touch for a big man' but essentially his only job is to keep the defence busy and let KVV do his stuff.

No matter how shit the target man is, one CB has to mark him and 99% of the time another CB will cover the unlikely, but not impossible, event a flick on is won to release a runner. When you then have KVV drifting wherever, the rest of your team then has tricky decisions to make over who picks him up, who moves out of position, do you still try to double up on him etc. With Spittal then getting up there and two (usually) fast WBs also bombing up, we're suddenly a dangerous prospect - not through huge amounts we do, simply that it asks questions most teams in Scotland will struggle to answer the 10 times out of 10 needed to avoid conceding.

7 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Aye, on the whole I'd say 'limited' would be the kindest way to label him . Highly unlikely he'll be here beyond the summer but he seems a  likeable big guy and always good to see your players enjoying their work.

Love the bit in his player profile on the 'fishal site that states although he was born in France, he is eligible for Scotland through his granny. Not sure we'll see him in Stevie Clark's squad any time soon. 

Our movement was terrible most of the game other than a couple of decent first half spells. Loads of times a player had the ball wide looking for a teammate and they all just stood watching.

We look far too narrow in attack in this set up. The only times we nearly got in in the first half were wide right through Drey being positive, in a very quiet match by him otherwise.

4-4-2 just seems such an obvious option for us, even starting Rudden who is limited to win flick ons for May. Hopefully Kane can get more time and make an impact.

Not that I'm making a massive case for MM (or Obika, for that matter), but would the switch have been flicked in KVV if he didn't have a big man leading the line for him?

Mibbes aye, mibbes naw but I think most of us would concede probably not.

At times football managers spout an awful lot of bollocks about it being a team game and the dirty work that it needs to be done...occasionally though it's spot on.

The two guys we have obviously don't look amazing but more than contribute to the overall form we have imho. Mandron btw has three goals, was involved in the build up to two v Livi and the combined distance of a metre of offside cost him two assists for KVV - both he and Kettlewell will rightly feel he's pulling his weight, substantial though that may be!

I like Mandron, I can’t define what he does, and he certainly does it in his own time but he lounges about getting the odd flick on, tracking back and making the odd tackle, but he takes the attention of the defence creating space for KVV.  
He got the initial flick on for KVV’s goal against United.

Need to get ahead in games when you have the control we did in the first half. With van Veen being offside when he had the ball in the net, Motherwell's xG was 0.00 but despite playing some neat stuff we, as the manager said, lacked quality and a killer ball in and around the box. I enjoyed the football but where we are currently, that matters not one bit if we lose the game.

The goal comes and then you look for a reaction, both from the players and the bench, and I'm not sure which was worse. Players looked the same group that were beaten when goals were conceded in the final few weeks of Davidson but whatever MacLean was doing, it wasn't management. It was like a kid playing Championship Manager (ironic) and really worries me for the games ahead. If we fall behind, that can't be the response.

Fed up of moaning about time-wasting. Every team is as bad as each other so no issue with Motherwell today but it won't stop until referees start adding on a proper amount of injury time. We are all getting short-changed.

43 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Not that I'm making a massive case for MM (or Obika, for that matter), but would the switch have been flicked in KVV if he didn't have a big man leading the line for him?

Mibbes aye, mibbes naw but I think most of us would concede probably not.

I don't think there's any doubt at all that a big man beside him has been instrumental in his rise.

He was more than adequate under Hammell, but we just didn't get the best out of him.

It's no coincidence for me now that he's not trying to win flick-ons, occupy centre halves or track full-backs (when put out left).

I look at his goal return this season against the rest of his career and I do wonder if his career has been victim to an era obsessed with playing some variation on 4-3-3. There will be plenty of players who are good in a two, but not a #9, a #10 or a winger in that shape.

I don't think who the striker beside Van Veen is matters that much, as long as he's physically able and willing to do the dirty work.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Felt sorry for him at the end. We all know, and he knows, hes too shit to hit a cross field pass. Yet all his team mates force that to be the only option then moan like f**k when it goes wrong.

Same with MacPherson tbh, he gets the ball under pressure and team mates vanish.

Drey Wrights more central position is beginning to grate a bit already too, ends up deep and never runs at a full back. Genuinely think i preferred him as a wing back.

His only real strength is getting the ball and running at folk.

From the little I've seen of him in a Saints shirt, he doesn't appear to be used this way.

7 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

His only real strength is getting the ball and running at folk.

From the little I've seen of him in a Saints shirt, he doesn't appear to be used this way.

Hes hopeless at that too, tbf. 

He literally has no value to us at all apart from being quick, which he never actually uses effectively, so its all kind of pointless tbh.

I am glad we got the second, the penalty may well have been a foul but it was innocuous, a St J fan would be frustrated at losing that 1-0 when they were probably on top in the first half.

2-0 makes us look good and allows the Saints fans to have a good moan.

52 minutes ago, ropy said:

I like Mandron, I can’t define what he does, and he certainly does it in his own time but he lounges about getting the odd flick on, tracking back and making the odd tackle, but he takes the attention of the defence creating space for KVV.  
He got the initial flick on for KVV’s goal against United.

His turn in midfield led to the penalty today as well...

I dunno, I'm much the same. Yes the goal at the end was a consequence of Saints more than anything else, but his big weird frame looks a fucking nightmare to deal with at times. A weird player.