Dundee's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Dundee's next permanent manager?  

328 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The least surprising thing to hear this morning that Neilson is not interested. Would demand a budget that Nelms just wouldn't give - you only get one from him if you're a dreadful manager it transpires.

Just hurry up and get Martindale ffs. Disillusioned by the team performances, the budget being cut considerably at Livingston and losing his players year on year. He needs a change as much as we need a manager like him.

10 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

The least surprising thing to hear this morning that Neilson is not interested. Would demand a budget that Nelms just wouldn't give - you only get one from him if you're a dreadful manager it transpires.

Just hurry up and get Martindale ffs. Disillusioned by the team performances, the budget being cut considerably at Livingston and losing his players year on year. He needs a change as much as we need a manager like him.

I'd reckon it would be a coup for us to get Martindale.  I doubt he'd be interested in taking a chance on us. 

7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'd reckon it would be a coup for us to get Martindale.  I doubt he'd be interested in taking a chance on us. 

I would doubt our chances as well, it is probably a backwards/side step for him but I think the potential with Dundee can be higher. 

Martindale has always been pretty transparent in saying that he basically has an agreement with Livingston that they wouldn't stand in his way if a decent opportunity arose. I'm not saying that decent opportunity is Dundee but I would hazard a guess that we could give him more of a budget to work with and he may get more recognition if, for instance, he could get us challenging for top 6.

4 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

I would doubt our chances as well, it is probably a backwards/side step for him but I think the potential with Dundee can be higher. 

Martindale has always been pretty transparent in saying that he basically has an agreement with Livingston that they wouldn't stand in his way if a decent opportunity arose. I'm not saying that decent opportunity is Dundee but I would hazard a guess that we could give him more of a budget to work with and he may get more recognition if, for instance, he could get us challenging for top 6.

I agree that we should, on the face of it, offer more potential than Livvi but our reputation goes before us which may negate any potential we have. When I say reputation I mean the one we have as a yo-yo club.  Budget - given we have 4 signed players  we're probably going to need a bigger budget than a club who is in maintenance mode, I don't know if such a thing is a plus or a minus for Martindale.  

Ultimately, it's the same old risk v reward question for any manager in a decent enough job now.  

7 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Have Dundee specified that they would only be offering out rolling contracts? 

Well, it's all we've handed out since at least McCann. Think Hartley was the last manager to have a different contract and that was probably because it was Bill Colvin that initially appointed him.

3 minutes ago, TapothehullDee said:

Anyone have a clue what our budget would be, quarter millio, half million ?

If that's for a year's salaries for playing squad that would amount to about 10 grand a week - we won't get much of a squad for 10k a week.

1 hour ago, DodgyKnee73 said:

Most clubs after winning the Championship: 

• Back the manager by re-signing the better players within the squad
  • Provide some funding/budget to obtain a couple of key players for the standard in the Prem
  • General positive PR aimed at getting the fans in, STs etc sold in anticipation of the new season
  • Look to establish themselves with said improved squad and backed manager in the Prem with a view to eventually being able to get into the top 6 etc

Dundee after winning the Championship:

• Fall out with manager who then leaves (and who Nelms has probably wanted gone for a while)
  • Have your Plan A refuse the job
  • Have no Plan B
  • Not have enough signed players for a game of fives
  • Piss off the fans with a complete failure to tell them what's going on, and interview an ever more desperate series of absolute fucking duds for the job
  • Ask the fans to shell out more for STs
  • Get off to a terrible start due to the above
  • Rock bottom by December, bin the manager and appoint another dud the day after the January window ends
  • Relegation in late March

** REPEAT CYCLE **

No!!!

NOT AGAIN!!!

Can't you just enjoy winning for a while.

Charlie Adam as manger would set us back years. Probably drop two divisions.

Turned down by Clum and RN suggests it's not a good offer and we will end up more towards the Mark McGhee type of candidiate end of things.

Could have had a bit of continuity/safe pair of hands and kept on Gorgeous Gaz but no...can't have that...not at Dundee.

Edited by Peadar BigDinnerO'Driscoll

3 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not a chance Martindale would accept a rolling contract from us when he has huge security from Livi.

Livingston players have downed tools a bit this season now but it seemed to me on Saturday that Martindale had too. He was a lot quieter than he normally is. They only had 96 away fans at the game and I was thinking that maybe he is starting to think he can’t go any further with them.

5 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Livingston players have downed tools a bit this season now but it seemed to me on Saturday that Martindale had too. He was a lot quieter than he normally is. They only had 96 away fans at the game and I was thinking that maybe he is starting to think he can’t go any further with them.

I saw his post match interview and he is coming across as a manager who thinks he has taken the club as far as he possibly could. Every opportunity for him to speak right now he is coming up with a new issue/grumble. 

8 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I'll admit to not having been particularly attentive to goings on down Livvy way (I will be on Saturday though!) but it may be the case that Martindale wants to move on but possibly he has enough credit in the bank to think he can do better than Dundee - that said, it's been said time and again that he might just be the right man in the right place at Livvy so that might put teams off.

In short, f*** knows!

I’d be surprised if we couldn’t tempt Martindale financially, but I reckon the biggest obstacle is actually his record.  Livi have a fan base that would suggest they should be sitting around the bottom of the championship and overachieving with them would be having them being a consistent yo-yo club between the top 2 tiers.

Dundee by that logic should be sitting low Premiership, with top 6 being the target and potentially Europe being overachievement.  Our problem is that he has already being doing exactly this with Livi which is remarkable.  Unfortunately it means I can’t see him joining a Scottish club that isn’t Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen as if his problem is that he’s taken Livi as far as he can, he’s not going to get any further with us.

He might fancy the project of getting us to that place, but I can’t imagine it would excite him as much as a bigger club or down south.

Edited by stu2910

Martindale wasn't interested in Hibs (personally I don't think he was a candidate in the first place, but told the press he didn't want it when they asked), and turned down Fleetwood. He has a job at Livi for as long as he wants one whereas everyone else sack their managers after a few bad results. He's got a good base of a squad for next season, most likely money from a Nouble sale (plus a bit extra if QPR sell Dykes for a good amount), and the small chance Hartlepool pay us to keep Jack Hamilton (striker, not the keeper).

His interview about having to leave would have been more about telling players they can leave if they're not going to perform.

Obviously every chance I'm wrong, but I couldn't see him going to Dundee unless the board actively said they'd like him to go - which is unlikely considering he does about 10 peoples' jobs. I can only see him leaving Livi if it's for a decent job down south or Rangers.