Scottish Cup 2023/24

Marten

14 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Considering the Forth Rail bridge wasn't completed until 1890 and the Scottish Cup started in 1873 there must have been one team came across by the Forth ferry I would have thought. But I can't be arsed to do the research! 

The first Scottish Cup game involving teams from across the Forth was St Clement's (of Dundee) v 3rd Edinburgh RV in 1876 played in Kirkcaldy, presumably they'd have got the ferry from Granton to Burntisland then onwards by train.

18 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

East Fife will be as well getting a ferry to Dunbar. Have a Scottish club ever travelled by ferry to a game on the mainland? 

Buckie took a fishing boat to Wick to play them in a Qualifying Cup game back when Wick didn't have a League and would play a sort of Caithness Select. If I can find the article I read about it, I'll try and post it later

19 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Some fans have claimed to get to Stranraer by flying to Belfast and catching the ferry, from Dingwall which makes sense, but also from Montrose, which doesn't. Clubs North of Inverness must have crossed by ferry before the Kessock Bridge was built I'd have thought, unless they just went by road via Beauly..

A bunch of Montrose fans flew to Belfast then got the ferry to Stranraer in January 2020. The game was then postponed due to the weather...

It was as much about having a night out in Belfast as it was about the journey.

The Tay Road Bridge was built in the 1960s. Presumably there would have been teams crossing the Tay by ferry between Dundee and Fife.

6 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Sounds like @HibeeJibee's area of expertise but I'd think Edinburgh and East Lothian to Fife by boat happened several times in the early days. Especially before the Forth Bridge was built, as mentioned

It must certainly have happened regularly before league football began as the (rebuilt) Tay and Forth bridges only opened in 1887 and 1890 respectively. However thereafter clubs would have routinely travelled by train. So if we're talking car ferries then my guess would be a small but increasing number from the 1930s and certainly the 1950s using the ferries at Queensferry and to lesser extent Newport when travelling by bus, as an alternative to going around by the Kincardine Bridge and Perth, until the Forth and Tay road bridges opened in 1964 and 1966 respectively. Up north you'd presumably also have clubs crossing by ferry at Kessock to reach Brora until the bridge opened in 1982.

Presumably some clubs would also have used the Erskine and Renfrew ferries to cross the Clyde.

Aberdeen actually flew to a game at Queen of the South in 1950s!

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Folk from Coatbridge chanting Stirling’s a shitehole, I want to go home. Quality.

I had to do the listening equivalent of a double take.

Imagine hearing that and then going 1-0 down to them 30 secs later.  Brutal.

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm thoroughly enjoying this tbh. I think it's the fact I feel like I'm sat with the Rovers supporters that's making it. Genuinely let out a 'YES' when that goal went in. I feel invested :lol:

If you could shout out "Ruel Street, Bring Year Maw" as loud as you can in the 2nd half, as the audio WILL pick it up,  I'd be forever grateful.

39 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

Was sorry to hear that Rovers have been punted to the juniors after the commentators said they lost their senior status at the end of last season…

Now being told that Berwick would have hoped to at least bring Brora back down the road to a replay...

... which would have been rather difficult given replays got abolished at this stage 2 years ago.

Indeed literally the previous match highlight they discussed was a penalty shootout at Musselburgh!