League 1 playoff final: Annan vs Clyde/ Clyde vs Annan

5 hours ago, MrDust said:

After last season I said from day one play offs minimum, should be the absolute minimum for a full time team in league one don't you think ?

The possibility of one up one down does make Scottish football a joke though as far as I'm concerned. I don't think you'll find a league in the world where this can happen and it's for a reason.

For a spell until recently, 1 up, 1 down is all it could possibly be in the top flight.  What exists now is better than that.

I'm torn.  I don't think there was much wrong with the old 2 up: 2 down.  Mid-table getting a shot at promotion does seem a bit daft, but there's no doubt that it extends the season.

What would you advocate?

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

For a spell until recently, 1 up, 1 down is all it could possibly be in the top flight.  What exists now is better than that.

I'm torn.  I don't think there was much wrong with the old 2 up: 2 down.  Mid-table getting a shot at promotion does seem a bit daft, but there's no doubt that it extends the season.

What would you advocate?

This basically. People either want playoffs or they don't. Purists who will go watch their club anyway don't really like them and yearn for the old two up, two down days (and possibly bigger divisions), but I don't see it changing any time soon. Commercially playoffs are a success. They keep clubs and floating fans engaged for longer, are commercially successful and income generating. They're going nowhere.

If you're going to have playoffs and 10 team leagues then what we have in the lower divisions is as good as its getting. There's an argument for 20 team divisions and 2 (or 3) down automatically with playoffs for 2nd to 5th (or 3rd to 6th) for final promotion spot but a 20 team division will inevitably lead to about half the league having little to play for towards the back end of the season.

Ideally I'd like the Premiership playoff to also operate as a semi final and final as the others do but we're not going to get that both because they won't vote for it and because they play more games already than we do.

There's also an argument that the respective playoff finals should be one off neutral games as down South rather than two legged?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I've no issue with games being on Alba to be honest. Welcome to them and any help broadcasting the lower league product is welcome.

The only thing that bothers me is the co-commentary in English thing. It's just plain daft. It's a Gaelic channel and that's fine. I don't even think they should provide an English language red button alternative. I don't understand why S4C does. Surely that defeats the purpose? But if Alba is in Gaelic why can't they find a Gaelic speaking 'expert' to talk alongside the commentator? It's pretty shambolic switching language mid commentary just because they've wheeled Cammy Bell or Gus MacPherson along. Presumably there's someone somewhere amongst the Highland leagues that can provide some meaningful match analysis and speaks Gaelic?

I think the Gaelic broadcast would benefit from no English speaking pundits - I don’t see the point in this either, and even although these are the only parts I understand I find the switch between languages distracting to say the least. 

I still think it would be of benefit if they had an English version for sporting events - the majority of viewers of these games don’t speak the language (myself included), you could offer a 10 minute segment at HT doing an Intro to Gaelic and try and teach non speakers words or phrases. Try and use your biggest viewing figures and increase interest/knowledge of the language - I get this won’t have a huge impact but with how low the numbers of Gaelic speakers are, it can’t do any harm?

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What would you advocate?

For me it requires bigger leagues for play offs to work, see England bar the non league promotion which matches Scotland. I'd be hell of a scunnered being a Notts county fan getting a 100+ PTS and no promotion.

The play offs equal excitement but I preferred when you got 4 new teams every season, we played Alloa 6 times last season, could've possibly been 8.

Six is enough to bore but we will have 4 again next season, cups play offs again may see us reach those heady heights again or more. It's a borefest and that is Scottish football

9 hours ago, MrDust said:

After last season I said from day one play offs minimum, should be the absolute minimum for a full time team in league one don't you think ?

The possibility of one up one down does make Scottish football a joke though as far as I'm concerned. I don't think you'll find a league in the world where this can happen and it's for a reason.

All this "waahhh everyone is laughing at us" pish is embarrassing and just wrong.

In your clearly in depth study of world football, what's your take on the Argentinian top flight? Where only the clubs with the lowest 3 year average get relegated? Now THAT'S done for a reason.

How about the MLS, with, err, zero promotion places available?

10 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Not to get too far OT but does BBC licence money help fund Alba if its independently owned? 

Yes, it does. Off top of my head BBC Alba is owned and funded one third BBC and 2 thirds MG Alba but my figures might not be totally accurate.

18 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

All this "waahhh everyone is laughing at us" pish is embarrassing and just wrong.

In your clearly in depth study of world football, what's your take on the Argentinian top flight? Where only the clubs with the lowest 3 year average get relegated? Now THAT'S done for a reason.

How about the MLS, with, err, zero promotion places available?

A league in Australia has no relegation, either and only 12 teams in the league.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

Totally expect a repeat performance of the previous play off final, from the Annan b*****ds, on Friday.. Shithousery from the first whistle.. be lucky to see 10 minutes of actual football, out of the 90 minutes..

Id have accepted relegation at the hands of absolutely anyone but that set of cnuts! 
Still, that’s football..

1 hour ago, FrankReynolds said:

Don’t steal from someone who gives you a job…

100% correct Scotlands finest were asked to deal with the situation ( didn’t) before this happened.

11 minutes ago, BullyTheBull said:

Totally expect a repeat performance of the previous play off final, from the Annan b*****ds, on Friday.. Shithousery from the first whistle.. be lucky to see 10 minutes of actual football, out of the 90 minutes..

Id have accepted relegation at the hands of absolutely anyone but that set of cnuts! 
Still, that’s football..

You’re funny,of all the teams to dislike Annan FFS ?

2 hours ago, FrankReynolds said:

Don’t steal from someone who gives you a job…

39 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

100% correct Scotlands finest were asked to deal with the situation ( didn’t) before this happened.

Interesting wee tasters there guys ... anyone care to elaborate for us readers who aren't itk?