League 1 playoff final: Annan vs Clyde/ Clyde vs Annan

So we meet again.

Play like we did in the first half against East Fife and the tie will be over by the time we get back to NDP.

Hope Duffy picks MacDonald over Doherty from the start. Two big performances needed. Especially down at Galabank. We’ve got enough about us on our day to stay up, won’t be easy though.

Looking forward to it!

If we pick Olly McDonald over Doherty or Rennie then the tie will definitely be over by the time we get up the road. Dug meat.

If we can match up to Annan's physicality then I think we've enough about us to win this if we avoid the garbage fare of Friday's first half, but a lot will depend on who's available and how fit they are. Think we will need a draw down there though, wouldn't fancy this lot much against their extreme gamesmanship.

Put as big, strong and fit an 11 as we can muster on the park Tuesday night. The idea somebody floated of going to 3 cbs to bring in McGeever is a good shout, as our full backs aren’t great.

All about keeping the tie alive going into the second leg IMO, something Dumbarton failed dramatically to do.

Something like this:

mullen

lyon sula McLean McGeever craig

hynes

cuddihy Roberts

salkeld

docherty

Mullen

Lyon McLean McGeever Sula Craig

Cuddihy Roberts

Salkeld

Rennie Doherty

I don't like it, but I'd probably do it seeing as we don't have either a real defensive midfielder or wide midfielders/attackers to go 442 or 433. That hasn't stopped Duffy from doing it however.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

Isn't one of Annan's key threats from wide meant to be Willie Gibson getting forward from rightback? If we swap to a back five, aside from me personally hating throwing the defence into a formation they're not practiced in, it will just mean Craig will end up marking a winger and Gibson will get a tonne of space to work in. 

I'd much rather we stuck to the back 4 that has actually been defending reasonably well recently (by our standards anyway) and played Cuddihy and Scullion on either wing to offer some protection to our fullbacks.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

1 hour ago, Scott-Replay said:

Judging by the Annan fans downstairs, they’ll take about 12 off us at Galabank. Keeping it in single figures should probably be considered a success.

Well no, they wont. But they are a far bigger threat offensively than Clyde are.

If Clyde can stay within one goal then 2nd leg should be good. Anything worse and Annan will see it out.

I'm going to the 1st leg. I'll go to the 2nd if its still close.

Expecting both games to be very tight affiairs

Annan score goals and their home record seems to be where they win the most

Weve only lost one of our last 8 games against potentially better teams

Not worried in the slightest as im sure Annan will be feeling the same

Fitness of certain players over the next two games will be the key to what league were in next season

Yer Mithers Pride🇾🇪

I must be missing something here. Sure, we aren't very good but surely we should respect anyone we meet but not get worked up about playing another p-t side. Do they have players who would have had us challenging for a play-off place to the 2nd tier; and if so why are they at Annan?  So they score goals but must be conceding too, otherwise they would have made a meaningful challenge to win the Div 2 title.

We go down there aiming to beat them and treating match as a one-off must win!  It's about what we CAN do (rather than what we might NOT do).

I don't know where Cunningham is with his fitness but unless it is out of the question I'd like to see him available for at least the closing stages if needed.

Lastly, I hope the coaching team are mindful Annan staff would have seen how Friday's 1st half went so  tactics/team has to change.

End of rant.

16 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

If we pick Olly McDonald over Doherty or Rennie then the tie will definitely be over by the time we get up the road. Dug meat.

If we can match up to Annan's physicality then I think we've enough about us to win this if we avoid the garbage fare of Friday's first half, but a lot will depend on who's available and how fit they are. Think we will need a draw down there though, wouldn't fancy this lot much against their extreme gamesmanship.

Can you explain what you mean about their extreme gamesmanship 

14 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

No I don’t, he’s a passenger outside of the penalty box. 

So he needs to be played up top to keep him in and around the penalty box. He's much more of a goal threat and generally just a much better player than Doherty.

I swear, only a Clyde fan could want the player who literally scored 100% of our goals over both ties to get dropped for the next game. You must have seen the difference Rennie made when he came on. An absolutely unhinged take.

1 hour ago, the_bully_wee said:

Have a re-swatch at the first hour or so of the 2019 final's second leg. The dark arts were out from the first whistle that afternoon.

Once he’s finished that, he can have a look at the league game at Broadwood a few weeks prior. Some of the most disgraceful cheating I have ever seen.

Rennie has been extremely disappointing since his first few games at the club and shouldn't be starting games unless Doherty remains completely unfit. He was well-positioned to score his two tap-ins, but outside of that he did precious little in either leg and we need a lot more from our striker. It's not even remotely unhinged to suggest that we are better off starting someone else, and I'd much sooner have an extra midfielder in there with Roberts given licence to play a touch more advanced.

1 hour ago, the_bully_wee said:

Have a re-swatch at the first hour or so of the 2019 final's second leg. The dark arts were out from the first whistle that afternoon.

You’re going back 4 years ? FFS