League 1 playoff final: Annan vs Clyde/ Clyde vs Annan

The_bully_wee, it's a fair point maybe about Rennie's apparent indifference at times but a player who is actually there to receive and - more importantly - dispatch the sitters is invaluable to a team that really needs their opponent's goal frame to be a yard wider and a yard higher most of the time!

1 hour ago, the_bully_wee said:

I'm sure the general approach to shithousery is vastly different now, with [checks notes] the same manager and half the same players in place.

Not long to wait them.

He was well-positioned to score his two tap-ins

I feel like with this statement you've actually proven my point.  There have been countless times where we've appeared strikerless when Doherty has been on the park. Never under the keeper, never aggressive in the box, never present in the 6-yard box when the ball is fizzed across. He's never where he needs to be. I understand Rennie has been disappointing, but in comparison Doherty has been a terrible replacement for Allan. I know you've attempted snide here, but the mere fact that Rennie was well placed to score is the exact reason he should be playing.

I suppose the bottom line is Rennie has 4 goals and 2 assists in 12 games, including 2 in his last 2. Doherty has 1 goal and 3 assists in 15 and that 1 goal was almost 2 months ago.

21 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

So we meet again.

Play like we did in the first half against East Fife and the tie will be over by the time we get back to NDP.

Hope Duffy picks MacDonald over Doherty from the start. Two big performances needed. Especially down at Galabank. We’ve got enough about us on our day to stay up, won’t be easy though.

Looking forward to it!

I really hope that we don't start McDonald.  From what I can recall Annan are defensively strong/big. I've not seen anything to suggest he could handle that. I reckon he would be more effective as a sub later on. Surely we should be starting two up top. Salkeld and Rennie played well against East Fife in the first leg I thought. I'm not sure what Rennie has to do to get a regular start . Some are saying he doesn't do enough. He's in the right places at the right time. He's scored in both legs of the most important games so far this season. 

If we were a team that controlled games and created plenty of high-quality chances then Rennie would absolutely be my first pick of the two. Unfortunately, we are not, and thus a hardworking, aggressive, physical player who will disrupt opposition backlines offensively and defensively is significantly preferable to someone who's happened to score from a yard out twice (once, completely fortunately).

I suspect this debate is a frivolous one anyway, as I doubt Doherty's hamstring will be in a fit enough state to facilitate his workrate, and we all saw how much of a man down he was without it. Let's just hope we see the Rennie who was bright and hard-working in his first few Clyde appearances and not the meek, languid figure of the past few months. I'm not going to absolutely pan the guy because he could be playing through knocks or whatever himself, but if I was Steven Swinglehurst right about now I know who I'd rather be clogging it up against tomorrow night.

Doherty showed absolute zero qualities or attributes you'd expect to see in a striker on Friday night - injured or not.

Rennie wasn’t great either but as others have covered, he was at least in the right position to be able to score (as he was in the first leg) which is a lot more than can be said for Doherty.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

Doherty was like a man down on Friday night. How any thinks he deserves to be in the match day squad (never mind in the starting XI) fucking amazes me. Rennie scored both goals in our playoffs, everyone else had their chances and didn't take them. Get them on the pitch. 

Into these cheating b*****ds that are Annan. Hopefully can keep them down for good.

2 hours ago, BonnieClyde said:

I really hope that we don't start McDonald.  From what I can recall Annan are defensively strong/big. I've not seen anything to suggest he could handle that. I reckon he would be more effective as a sub later on. Surely we should be starting two up top. Salkeld and Rennie played well against East Fife in the first leg I thought. I'm not sure what Rennie has to do to get a regular start . Some are saying he doesn't do enough. He's in the right places at the right time. He's scored in both legs of the most important games so far this season. 

Agreed, if McDonald starts that Thug Swindlehurst will be playing keepy -uppy with him from minute one. Then again he will try to do that with any CF he comes up against!

a hardworking, aggressive, physical player 

Doherty is quite literally 0/3 of these things but go off king

(I should add, maybe it's because we haven't been able to get him fully fit - I can only go on what I've seen since January)

I certainly can't accept anyone saying that Doherty isn't hardworking. 

Indeed, he might be a bigger threat if he stopped pointlessly chasing defenders all over the pitch.

Perhaps the notion that Martin Rennie is indomitable poacher and hitman could be somewhat weakened by the fact he's averaged about 2 goals a season for the past 5 years. To find a way to demolish a talent of Steven Swinglehurst's b*****dary, Clyde-OKI need a man who can merge both Rennie's predatory instincts in the 6 yard box with McDonald's tenacity. Thankfully, I know just the man - and he's available on an emergency basis:

O'Reilly on a roll | SPFL 

38 minutes ago, David W said:

I certainly can't accept anyone saying that Doherty isn't hardworking. 

Indeed, he might be a bigger threat if he stopped pointlessly chasing defenders all over the pitch.

Mindlessly chasing full backs all over the place does not a hard worker make. It just means you've got no game or positional awareness, and then try and look busy by closing down the man closest to you. The majority of the time he sometimes ends up in an opponents face at the half way line isn't because he's burst it to get in front of him, it's because he's caught out of position.

Again, maybe it's because he's not fully fit. He couldn't get near the Kelty team so came to us with no match fitness and he's struggled to keep up. Hopefully with a preseason and some games under his belt he starts next season well.

1 hour ago, Clyde85 said:

They’re both crap can’t believe their signed for next year too.

Don’t disagree with that at all,  however at least Rennie plays some of the time in the opposition box and  challenges keepers for cross balls. Doherty is one of those so called strikers who play outside the box and spends his time chasing down defenders. 

Rennie has 4 goals since he came in, he is the only striker we have who has been scoring. Bit of a penalty box striker but can put a chance away when it comes. His all round play isn’t excellent but he contributes more than Doherty. 

The only thing I’ve seen Doherty do this season is win and score a penalty for Kelty against us. 

40 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Rennie has 4 goals since he came in, he is the only striker we have who has been scoring. Bit of a penalty box striker but can put a chance away when it comes. His all round play isn’t excellent but he contributes more than Doherty. 

The only thing I’ve seen Doherty do this season is win and score a penalty for Kelty against us. 

Doherty has one goal in 14 matches for Clyde. 

A scoring rate less than half of the infamous Robert Jones.

Like Jones, I just don't see what he brings to the team.

To be honest, Rennie hasn't been much better.

And they're signed for next season 😭

Edited by haufdaft