Queen's Parks Next Permanent Manager

Who will be QP's next permanent manager?  

231 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I mean just since you turned professional.

I hear what you're saying but I'm not too sure the above is fair.  

Waffle, piffle or not, as MB states the target area for recruitment is 10-11 year olds and the scheme is a 10 year plan; we can hypothesise as much as we want, chances are we won't see whether the tree bears fruit for a while yet.

I'd also take with a large dose of salt anything that Dempster or her boss says.  Nobody with non-padded walls thinks we're breaking the OF monopoly, (or indeed, in reality the SPL) so why would MB come to QP in the first place, save cash - maybe it's a bit of a vanity project or a blank canvass where he can test his assumptions regarding data-driven player development in an environment where instant/continued success is not a pre-requisite, (i.e the OF).  Maybe the fact that he's not just a small cog in a bigger machine is why he came?  Either way, the increase in expenditure for the youth teams, (both boys and girls), the Women's team and coaching/support staff at all levels has certainly seemed professional even when the administrative side of the club has seemed less so.

Either way, it's been a great deal of fun so far.

21 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

Think that's just a tongue in cheek comment as he was a Queen's supporter growing up.

I still don't believe the club would be mental enough to consider him given his past; we're trying to grow our fan base in one of the most diverse areas of the whole country, it would be bonkers.

22 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Think that's just a tongue in cheek comment as he was a Queen's supporter growing up.

I still don't believe the club would be mental enough to consider him given his past; we're trying to grow our fan base in one of the most diverse areas of the whole country, it would be bonkers.

Sorry "bonkers" with our leaders? That's a done deal then.

1 hour ago, Zanetti said:

I honestly think they would. They’ll look at County and see that it died down fairly quickly. How anything looks or what people who care about the club think is of little consequence to them. 

31 minutes ago, an86 said:

I honestly think they would. They’ll look at County and see that it died down fairly quickly. How anything looks or what people who care about the club think is of little consequence to them. 

...and worryingly, it would explain why nothing appears to have happened about appointing a new manager if we are waiting for Manky to finish his current gig.

On 30/05/2023 at 14:25, Forfinn said:

He played for QP, his first club, for 3 seasons before moving to Celtic. His Dad was also a legend at QP back in the late sixties and sat on our committee for many years. So the two seconds he devoted to Queen’s Park in that clip are commensurate. 

2 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

He played for QP, his first club, for 3 seasons before moving to Celtic. His Dad was also a legend at QP back in the late sixties and sat on our committee for many years. So the two seconds he devoted to Queen’s Park in that clip are commensurate. 

All the more reason for him to take the step down/sideways to Queen's Park (this weekend's result pending) IMO.

10 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

All the more reason for him to take the step down/sideways to Queen's Park (this weekend's result pending) IMO.

I’ve actually never seen the texts he sent until just now when I checked online. If it had been an odd one there’s grounds to say it was stupid and move on. But even an old crust like me is shocked at the range of offences after reading them. Given the effort, time and money that’s been put into building up our support in Glasgow as the team in the southside even our Committee can’t get this one wrong. And especially as the money man behind the scenes has made it clear he wants his cast to go to the various development initiatives that are ongoing.

The new manager will come via Leeann Dempster and/or Marijn Beuker. Mackay doesn’t fit their profile. The fumbling committee will be doing the rubber stamp. Mackay’s last two jobs have had win rates of 20/25% and he hasn’t enjoyed success in a decade. That’s reason enough for not employing him. 

54 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

The new manager will come via Leeann Dempster and/or Marijn Beuker. Mackay doesn’t fit their profile.

Owen Coyle was also a former Premier League manager living off long-faded glory. Coincidentally, his previous job in Scottish football was at Ross County where he was an unmitigated disaster. I'd suggest he fits the profile perfectly...

I'm speculating, but the rumour is Mackay is leaving at the end of the season and Queen's Park have been mentioned specifically. For the reasons I set out a couple of pages back, it's a move that would tick a lot of boxes. And since then, the fact you haven't announced a new man, and that our season is still ongoing, it starts to feel quite possible.

We didn't think our board/chairman would be daft enough to appoint him either, but here we are.

33 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

Owen Coyle was also a former Premier League manager living off long-faded glory. Coincidentally, his previous job in Scottish football was at Ross County where he was an unmitigated disaster. I'd suggest he fits the profile perfectly...

I'm speculating, but the rumour is Mackay is leaving at the end of the season and Queen's Park have been mentioned specifically. For the reasons I set out a couple of pages back, it's a move that would tick a lot of boxes. And since then, the fact you haven't announced a new man, and that our season is still ongoing, it starts to feel quite possible.

We didn't think our board/chairman would be daft enough to appoint him either, but here we are.

The only people I've seen linking Mackay with us are County fans who are (understandably) desperate to get rid of him.

I accept that your supporters didn't want him either given his past, but as I stated previously in this thread we're looking to extend our reach and grow the club's fanbase in possibly the most ethnically diverse part of Scotland.

I accept that the club has proven to be quite incompetent in a lot of ways recently, but appointing him would be an utterly negligent, bordering on malicious decision.

Edited by Zanetti

24 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

Being the SFA Performance Director ticks a worrying number of boxes as well. From a football perspective, he’s qualified, plus a connection with the club. However, everything else *should* make it a non starter.

I’m not saying there’s no way back for people who do and say terrible things. I believe in rehabilitation and people changing their ways. However, I don’t think that necessarily means an apology qualifies you to move on to any job you want in the future. Nobody with a history of racism, misogyny, antisemitism and homophobia should be considered for a leadership role within any football club, particularly one on the doorstep of the most diverse area of Scotland. 

If you’re a local school or company, who might not be aware of the past, and you read those texts, do you want to be involved with Queen’s Park? Nothing about it would make sense, but my huge worry is that very little of our decision making seems to make sense. 

25 minutes ago, QPEast said:

Malky Mackay will not be the new QP manager and anyone who takes even a second thinking that it is a possibility - should simply grow up. 

What makes you so sure? Another club has already employed him and our club has a recent history of spectacularly stupid decisions and incompetence.

Edited by an86

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Being the SFA Performance Director ticks a worrying number of boxes as well. From a football perspective, he’s qualified, plus a connection with the club. However, everything else *should* make it a non starter.

I’m not saying there’s no way back for people who do and say terrible things. I believe in rehabilitation and people changing their ways. However, I don’t think that necessarily means an apology qualifies you to move on to any job you want in the future. Nobody with a history of racism, misogyny, antisemitism and homophobia should be considered for a leadership role within any football club, particularly one on the doorstep of the most diverse area of Scotland. 

If you’re a local school or company, who might not be aware of the past, and you read those texts, do you want to be involved with Queen’s Park? Nothing about it would make sense, but my huge worry is that very little of our decision making seems to make sense. 

This was my thoughts exactly. The elite youth set up combined with a manager who previously was a performance director seems like a feasibly good fit and one that QP would be interested in. 

It is no excuse or justification at all - but there are literally no morals in football and people outside of football, myself included, struggle to come to terms with this. If results are good on the pitch everything else is generally forgotten about - again not insinuating that would be the case for fans etc.

32 minutes ago, an86 said:

What makes you so sure? Another club has already employed him and our club has a recent history of spectacularly stupid decisions and incompetence.

MB is making the decision and a dinosaur like MM doesn’t fit the bill. The new manager will be a young guy who fits into the ideology that MB is trying to build(A better Laurie Ellis). Also, MM was never considered for the role before when OC got it.

11 minutes ago, QPEast said:

MB is making the decision and a dinosaur like MM doesn’t fit the bill. The new manager will be a young guy who fits into the ideology that MB is trying to build(A better Laurie Ellis). Also, MM was never considered for the role before when OC got it.

I so SO want you to be right!!

20 minutes ago, QPEast said:

MB is making the decision and a dinosaur like MM doesn’t fit the bill. The new manager will be a young guy who fits into the ideology that MB is trying to build

Would tend to agree with this. Established (older) managers who initially convince MB they believe in his vision will inevitably revert to type, want to spend. 

24 minutes ago, mcjameos said:

Would tend to agree with this. Established (older) managers who initially convince MB they believe in his vision will inevitably revert to type, want to spend. 

Indeed. But that inevitably leads us back to the conundrum about what do we expect to achieve in the leagues. If they want more folks to empty their wallet on a Saturday afternoon that needs a winning team, or at least a team nice to watch. For most football fans, it’s all about the Saturday.

All of the above is why I think this is a lot more trickier than any of us thought it would be. But maybe the clue is Coyle being let go with gasps of fake surprise from Dempster. Beuker is either a stubborn fool or he’s already got someone lined up. I still have my shilling on someone from a faraway place. Even further than Dingwall.