Stags Stay Up🔵⚪️🔴 A Kessock Bridge Too Far For Jags 🔴🟡

6 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

How on earth was the trip on the Thistle player not a penalty? I honestly cannot understand it. Without a doubt, that plus the penalty shootout being at the County fans' end (ostensibly attributed to the police) likely cost Thistle promotion. 

I don't disagree with you points, but the main reason that cost us promotion, is of course our bottling inability to manage the game after the penalty. We were still two goals to the good, mentally we came up short. The penalties were the last throw of the dice and we didn't have a strong enough mentality for those. We were even given three chances in the penalties with county players managing to miss when they had the advantage.

No one to blame, it's just the break of the ball. Play that game another 9 times and we'd win, but life's not like that, and football definitely isn't like that. Was a cracking atmosphere, a great day out, and I'd argue a game that had excitement and pretty much everything. Not saying it was pure football but it was great fun, and it takes two teams to make it so. 

8 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

How on earth was the trip on the Thistle player not a penalty? I honestly cannot understand it. Without a doubt, that plus the penalty shootout being at the County fans' end (ostensibly attributed to the police) likely cost Thistle promotion. 

Not being as good as Ross County on a player-for-player basis is what cost Thistle promotion, along with - dare I say it - some good, game changing use of the bench by Mackay.   

The Sportscene analysts made a pretty good job of explaining why it wasn’t a penalty.  There wasn’t a trip for one thing, and, it could be argued, the Partick player initiated the contact.  It’s certainly contentious, but the referee had two bites of the cherry and stood by his decision.  It’s not like it was a missed foul.  I think Partick have much more of a case for the handball decision, but that’s due to the law being an ass and one we’ve been seeing all season in the top flight.  

The end at which penalties were taken makes hee-haw difference to anything, and the Partick players will be the first to tell you so.

8 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Things like this give me some sympathy with the officials. I don't think that's a penalty but I get that some people genuinely see it as a stone waller. So there will always be decisions that are subjective. Does this make VAR useful or just another thing to muddy the waters?

17 hours ago, jagfox said:

I think its more we are the latest diddy team to make a c@#t of things, on the park.

Fair play, if it was another team I'd be getting stuck in.

Not that many "haters" I think. Aside from teams we used to have a rivalry with and bizarrely Morton fans. I thought St Mirren were their rivals, but there you go...

*lights blue touch player and walks away*

I think Morton and Thistle developed a bit of a rivalry when our traditional derby rivals St Mirren and Clyde were in different divisions. We've also had at least three promotion battles when we were both contenders, which tends to develop a rivarly plus resentment. I'm not sure exactly when (or if) the resentment crossed into hatred though, as I don't think that many fans actually "hate" Thistle.

They do seem to have the media on their side though which can cause some resentment, which is probably not Thistle's doing, but they can milk it a bit and can be a bit unsufferable, therefore difficult to like, when they do come out on top. That's where the gloating comes from when they lose.

I know on here and even social media is only a small % of overall fanbases but based on that, Morton fans do seem to have ramped up their dislike for us of late, obviously what we did during the covid curtailment didn't win many friends (though every other club was also acting for themselves, I have no doubt we'd have voted to end the season and enforce relegation if we were safe etc etc) but it has become far more bitter from their side anyway. Think the absence of St Mirren from their seasons of late has probably contributed as well.

There was also that thread linked to on here from their club forum with folk listing specific reasons why they hated us (one guy went dissertation length) which certainly doesn't exist the other way round.

Ayr fans as well because of the McCall move in 2019 have probably become keener to see us fail as well of late, but don't know if that'll lessen now there's no longer that connection.

When shit like Sunday happens you have to take it on the chin really, it's par for the course on here and I wouldn't expect anything different if it was another club who had chucked a 3 goal lead in a final 

Edited by Fuctifano

2 hours ago, banditjag said:

I don't disagree with you points, but the main reason that cost us promotion, is of course our bottling inability to manage the game after the penalty. We were still two goals to the good, mentally we came up short. The penalties were the last throw of the dice and we didn't have a strong enough mentality for those. We were even given three chances in the penalties with county players managing to miss when they had the advantage.

No one to blame, it's just the break of the ball. Play that game another 9 times and we'd win, but life's not like that, and football definitely isn't like that. Was a cracking atmosphere, a great day out, and I'd argue a game that had excitement and pretty much everything. Not saying it was pure football but it was great fun, and it takes two teams to make it so. 

You're right because you went on to score after the penalty shout. The one that really bothers me is the complete shit show of the pen given to Ross County and the rule has to change because VAR is highlighting how utterly incompetent the officials using it really are. The pen then goes in, County gain momentum and Thistle shit their pants. There is a lot to be said about important decisions like that changing the swing of games and it played a part on Sunday.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Not being as good as Ross County on a player-for-player basis is what cost Thistle promotion, along with - dare I say it - some good, game changing use of the bench by Mackay.   

The Sportscene analysts made a pretty good job of explaining why it wasn’t a penalty.  There wasn’t a trip for one thing, and, it could be argued, the Partick player initiated the contact.  It’s certainly contentious, but the referee had two bites of the cherry and stood by his decision.  It’s not like it was a missed foul.  I think Partick have much more of a case for the handball decision, but that’s due to the law being an ass and one we’ve been seeing all season in the top flight.  

The end at which penalties were taken makes hee-haw difference to anything, and the Partick players will be the first to tell you so.

The thing about the VAR decisions that gets me is that the trip is ruled out because it wasn’t intentional; the sending off is downgraded because there was no intent to harm, but it doesn’t matter about the handball whether it was intentional or not. It was just bad luck it hit Grahams arm first and not the County player. At first look, I thought it had hit the County player first. There is no way the referee should have been asked to review it.

2 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I think Morton and Thistle developed a bit of a rivalry when our traditional derby rivals St Mirren and Clyde were in different divisions. We've also had at least three promotion battles when we were both contenders, which tends to develop a rivarly plus resentment. I'm not sure exactly when (or if) the resentment crossed into hatred though, as I don't think that many fans actually "hate" Thistle.

They do seem to have the media on their side though which can cause some resentment, which is probably not Thistle's doing, but they can milk it a bit and can be a bit unsufferable, therefore difficult to like, when they do come out on top. That's where the gloating comes from when they lose.

They always have, especially the BBC and their 'everyone's favourite second team' pish that just highlights their blinkered weegie outlook.

What is it Partick fans sing in that I'm No a Billy song? Couldn't make it out after that.

Just now, jagsfan57 said:

The thing about the VAR decisions that gets me is that the trip is ruled out because it wasn’t intentional; the sending off is downgraded because there was no intent to harm, but it doesn’t matter about the handball whether it was intentional or not. It was just bad luck it hit Grahams arm first and not the County player. At first look, I thought it had hit the County player first. There is no way the referee should have been asked to review it.

I totally agree.   The handball rule is a complete mess entirely because of VAR, and VAR is a mess because of the handball rule.  It’s a nonsense.  Just be thankful you don’t have a whole season of those decisions.  Think of it as the main benefit of Sunday!

1 minute ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

The attitude of some PT players after winning the first leg 2-0, looked like they believed they're own hype. 

County keeping it to only 2-0, with 10 men was an achievement. RC were always going to be up for the 2nd leg.

I thought the limited bench was an indictment on Mackay’s recruitment, but it had the effect of every County player knowing they had a job to do., even if they weren’t starting. I definitely think that Mackay won the psychological battle.   For all his sins - and there are a billion - he does seem to have generated a good team spirit.  

I don’t think thistle can have many complaints about the handball.

the rule in general is rubbish but in this instance samuel is right beside graham going for a header, you could argue that had it not struck Graham’s outstretched arm samuel may have connected with the header and subsequently scored

16 minutes ago, Rcfc fan said:

I don’t think thistle can have many complaints about the handball.

the rule in general is rubbish but in this instance samuel is right beside graham going for a header, you could argue that had it not struck Graham’s outstretched arm samuel may have connected with the header and subsequently scored

Well they can, in the sense that it wouldn’t have been given in the Championship, and also because the handball rule is lunacy.  

What they probably can’t do is use VAR to criticise the ref’s performance as the three calls were all ultimately correct - with the above caveat. 

Edited by Savage Henry

I've just brought myself to read this thread from before ko on Sunday onwards and have headed into another tailspin.

At the game, when County scored their 2nd goal immediately after their 1st I became convinced that some way or another we were going to throw it away and so it came to pass.

Unquestionably the heaviest boot in the balls I have ever suffered in my football supporting life and I do worry that the hangover for this may well carry on into next season.

As for the question about this being the most exciting Scottish game on telly since when, it has to be the 2016 Rangers - Hibs final for me.

2 hours ago, Charles Stiles said:

What is it Partick fans sing in that I'm No a Billy song? Couldn't make it out after that.

You mean "I'm no a Killie am a jag" 🤣

No idea why thou, probably some kind of rivalry that only exists in Thistle fans heads as nobody down here could care less about them.