Dundee United 23/24

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Apathy is back in town.

Who am I kidding? I've been numb to this stuff for years.

There may be glimpses of decent here and there but, and I mean this with all due respect to Thistle, if that's all we can take from our first home game vs Partick Thistle in the cup, loads to prove all over the pitch and in the dugout, then we are completely and utterly fucking fucked.

I know its early days and i keep saying Goodwin and the team need time but right now I'm getting a little concerned.

It's just same shit different day.

That could have been Cszaba McKinnon, Jim Lazlo or Ray Goodwin 🤷‍♂️

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to build the play through Kevin Holt. Maybe if he was capable of turning his head to the left it might make a diffierence. Phuq me we are in trouble.

2 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

It's just same shit different day.

That could have been Cszaba McKinnon, Jim Lazlo or Ray Goodwin 🤷‍♂️

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to build the play through Kevin Holt. Maybe if he was capable of turning his head to the left it might make a diffierence. Phuq me we are in trouble.

Yip. Still pedestrian, still toothless, and still a bombscare at the back

1 minute ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I know its early days and i keep saying Goodwin and the team need time but right now I'm getting a little concerned.

I'm still largely blame the post-split fiasco on the shitebags in last season's squad rather than Goodwin. I also didn't want to be chopping and changing manager again, but right now even I'm already beginning to think retaining him was a mistake.

There's next to no good will or patience towards him going by tonight's crowd. When we went down last time at least there was a bit of hope and a willingness to give the team time to gel as McKinnon came in without any baggage from the season before.

The growing apathy amongst the support is a real danger though. I got a free ticket from someone who couldn't make it tonight and still really had to summon the motivation to go along. The past few years, even on the select occasions when we've won, it's just not been fun.

Thought the keeper was a positive as well as obviously Fotheringham who looked excellent. Moult getting 45 also was a plus and Sibbald has to be in the three in the middle.  

Denholm was murder and Graham has to get minutes ahead of him. If theres nothing in it ability wise our youngster has to get the minutes.

Would like to see Chalmers get some game time and would be happy if Middleton was told he could leave. Hasn't worked out for him and will be on decent money compared to a lot of the others that are left. 

Right back is a problem and has been for a while. If Niskanen is staying would give him a go there. 

Even after losing 9/10 guys we still have a pretty big squad with the 16 on show tonight plus Newman, Niskanen, McLeod, Chalmers and Grimshaw. (Plus Behich/Mulgrew/Brig ) there is no doubt others as well that Ive managed to forget.

9 minutes ago, captainkev said:

I'm still largely blame the post-split fiasco on the shitebags in last season's squad rather than Goodwin. I also didn't want to be chopping and changing manager again, but right now even I'm already beginning to think retaining him was a mistake.

There's next to no good will or patience towards him going by tonight's crowd. When we went down last time at least there was a bit of hope and a willingness to give the team time to gel as McKinnon came in without any baggage from the season before.

The growing apathy amongst the support is a real danger though. I got a free ticket from someone who couldn't make it tonight and still really had to summon the motivation to go along. The past few years, even on the select occasions when we've won, it's just not been fun.

I’d say more frustration and anger  than apathy. There’s massive pressure on the manager and the team already.  No real sense that we have a finished product yet and that progress is being made. Can’t see who is going to step up and be a big player for us this season.   

We're not going to sack Goodwin even though if you offered it for free, I think most would take it; that's the nature of us all as football fans.

He talks a good game and it's very difficult to  find fault in anything he says post-match, but it's becoming the same old story, and he's th one who is responsible for changing it.

The one thing I did notice tonight was the subtle change of narrative that this is pre-season and it's all about getting people game time, which is a far cry from "This is a competition I take seriously and want to do well in". Arguably by fielding players who were absolutely nowhere near match fitness (Watt, Moult) suggests that getting those players fitness was the priority and the assumption was that we'd beat Spartans and nobody would be any the wiser.

As far tonight, my main takeaways were that...

1 - We still absolutely need a creative spark in the centre of midfield

2 - Fotheringham was excellent. Took men on and tried to make stuff happened

3 - Cudjoe wasn't excellent in the least. Took men on but without any plan on trying to make stuff happen.

4 - Denham looks like he might be a liability. Not strong enough or wise enough to cope with physical strikers

5 - Kieran Freeman is absolutely ruined. A year ago he was the one player in the squad you'd think would run through a brick wall if it would help. Now he goes half hearted into challenges, stands off his man, never makes a positive pass, never takes his man on and never shouts for the ball. He's a liability. last season's hostile atmosphere I think has destroyed his confidence

It'll be interesting to see the team we field on Saturday, but I'd definitely like to see Cudjoe and Freeman dropped and for us to play two up top.

I wouldn't go overboard on McMann based on that, he was up against Zander MacKenzie, a 17 year old attacking midfielder playing at right back. Craigan was a bit off in giving Mackenzie MOTM, was almost like he was a hype man for Mackenzie. 

Thought United looked really flat apart from when you were 1-0 up, as per most posts i think you'll get it sorted one way or the other but maybe not with Goodwin at this rate. 

6 minutes ago, low-life said:

Thought the keeper was a positive as well as obviously Fotheringham who looked excellent. Moult getting 45 also was a plus and Sibbald has to be in the three in the middle.  

Denholm was murder and Graham has to get minutes ahead of him. If theres nothing in it ability wise our youngster has to get the minutes.

Would like to see Chalmers get some game time and would be happy if Middleton was told he could leave. Hasn't worked out for him and will be on decent money compared to a lot of the others that are left. 

Right back is a problem and has been for a while. If Niskanen is staying would give him a go there. 

Even after losing 9/10 guys we still have a pretty big squad with the 16 on show tonight plus Newman, Niskanen, McLeod, Chalmers and Grimshaw. (Plus Behich/Mulgrew/Brig ) there is no doubt others as well that Ive managed to forget.

Will Smith Thats Funny GIF by MOODMAN

Goodwin 😆

Unbelievable he got the United job in the first place. You guys are gubbed. 

Dundee have a chance here become the dominant force in Tayside. They have long been the joke outfit but if they can’t capitalise on the misfortunes of both United and ourselves now then they might as well give up the beautiful game. 

1 minute ago, jamamafegan said:

Goodwin 😆

Unbelievable he got the United job in the first place. You guys are gubbed. 

Dundee have a chance here become the dominant force in Tayside. They have long been the joke outfit but if they can’t capitalise on the misfortunes of both United and ourselves now then they might as well give up the beautiful game. 

Dont listen tae this fermer fae Perth (he's probably related tae Cosgrove)...... uttercrap.

Just now, TONTROOPER said:

Dont listen tae this fermer fae Perth (he's probably related tae Cosgrove)...... uttercrap.

Aye listen to an absolute weapon from Greenock 🤣🤣. Doc and Holt should be ashamed of the way they played tonight after such a wage hike.

1 minute ago, Thistle4eva said:

Aye listen to an absolute weapon from Greenock 🤣🤣. Doc and Holt should be ashamed of the way they played tonight after such a wage hike.

Weapon you say?

From Greenock you say?

Actually... I'm not from Greenock (but close)...... more to the point I stay closer to your midden than I would prefer.