Dundee United 23/24

32 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Just watched them back. First is a good jump and header from Oakley, second Holt gets in front of Oakley but then misses his header. Nothing to do with Holt losing a physical battle in either of those. United certainly struggled to cope with Oakley that day, partly because Oakley is just a big strong laddie and partly because the referee was being a bit lax in pulling him up on the dirty side of the game, but I don't think Holt stood out as struggling any more than anyone else.

Opinions vary, but that is what makes this such a good discussion forum

28 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yeah, the standard of refereeing in the Premiership is also gash, no argument there, but I think you're less likely to get away with all the fly, dirty stuff that goes on in the lower divisions because it'll be caught by VAR. 

Do I detect someone pining for VAR… ;)

I don’t disagree things get picked up but tbh - I just don’t see that as a positive. Every minor infringement is becoming a penalty as we drift listlessly towards a no contact sport imo. 

1 hour ago, Der Panzer said:

Do I detect someone pining for VAR… ;)

I don’t disagree things get picked up but tbh - I just don’t see that as a positive. Every minor infringement is becoming a penalty as we drift listlessly towards a no contact sport imo. 

Jesus Christ, no.

And I agree entirely, just an observation that tactical brutality is less of an issue when there's some dweeb watching on the telly and looking to pick fault with every second challenge. If folk are getting sent off for relatively innocuous mistimed tackles, there's less scope to deliberately elbow a guy in the head or stamp on someone on the ground.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yeah, the standard of refereeing in the Premiership is also gash, no argument there, but I think you're less likely to get away with all the fly, dirty stuff that goes on in the lower divisions because it'll be caught by VAR. 

See Jack Baird and Kirk Broadfoot last Friday for examples of such dark arts going unpunished.

Edited by CaspianChris

17 hours ago, CYBERSHED said:

But given that Goodwin knows the squad better than anyone else out there, I'm inclined to stick with him and see if he can build us a squad to compete in the prem. 

jack-nicholson-yes.gif.f8c19183a7a3c490fb41ef0c35eb4f1a.gif

7 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

He's been excellent this season and very reliable. It's a step up but I think he'd do okay for another year. I'd have Holt and Graham as the two competing for the left sided centre half slot and would expect Graham to cement that position eventually. He's a calm, solid presence.

Kevin Holt. 😂

Thank you.

Feel a little deflated after that. Raith incredibly fortunate to get anything out that game, never mind three points.

Seen Raith four times in the flesh and few more on TV and never been impressed. And yet, somehow, they continue to hang in there.

11 hours ago, Steven W said:

Feel a little deflated after that.

What?!? 😂 There's no way Utd are not winning the league mate, you're home and hosed. 

2 hours ago, Arab_R_us said:

f**k of you troll

Spot on. The wee man loves to give it out - but can't take it. That's poor, isn't it? Worst kind of trolling IMO.

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

What?!? 😂 There's no way Utd are not winning the league mate, you're home and hosed. 

Of course not. But was looking forward to having it all officially wrapped up this weekend.