Dundee United 23/24

10 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

Dundee United planning for the future goes as far as this season realistically.

Players/manager does well then teams with bigger budgets come sniffing and offer more than we can and off they go.

Team doesn't do well, the manager gets the sack, new manager comes in and wants his own players 

Unfortunately the days of top players staying at United, turning down bigger clubs is gone.

Our plan is build a squad this season capable of 1. Staying in the Premier(a must) 2. Competing for cups 3. Finishing as high as we can.

We go again next season 

Yes, and that money is then reinvested into the club, that is part of planning for the future.  

Signing a 32 year old journeyman, who in all fairness to him has had a good season, does not do that.  All it means is we have to replace him next summer as well but without any reward 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

Yes, and that money is then reinvested into the club, that is part of planning for the future.  

Signing a 32 year old journeyman, who in all fairness to him has had a good season, does not do that.  All it means is we have to replace him next summer as well but without any reward 

United will have a budget for each season, if we sell a player(s) any money made from that sale will unfortunately go into Mr.Ogrens pocket and not reinvested and the budget will remain the same.

Personally, as a fan I'd rather see a winning team and trips to Hampden than a healthy bank balance 

Edited by Glen Scotia
Change of words

14 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

Personally, as a fan I'd rather see a winning team and trips to Hampden than a healthy bank balance 

Should have just stated in the Championship. Win more than you lose, games against Queens Park.

19 hours ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

No.  He is like 32 or something.  Plan for the future for once

Plenty of scope in a premier league squad for the likes of Gogic. We need a solid spine from keeper to striker. We should be planning for a long term future in the top tier which starts with staying up next season.

1 hour ago, Big Shedboy said:

Plenty of scope in a premier league squad for the likes of Gogic. We need a solid spine from keeper to striker. We should be planning for a long term future in the top tier which starts with staying up next season.

I’d definitely sign a 32 year old if he was the right 32 year old.

Worth noting that Gogic turned 30 a couple of weeks ago, so if age is the concern then that can probably be put to one side. I mind he looked decent for Hamilton but wasn't sure whether he could make the step up. Since then he's gone to Hibs and then done well for St Mirren. Probably fair to say that he's at least a useful Premiership player and would do a job.

Whether he'd come to United ahead of playing in Europe for St Mirren must be a question but its plausible.

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Worth noting that Gogic turned 30 a couple of weeks ago, so if age is the concern then that can probably be put to one side. I mind he looked decent for Hamilton but wasn't sure whether he could make the step up. Since then he's gone to Hibs and then done well for St Mirren. Probably fair to say that he's at least a useful Premiership player and would do a job.

Whether he'd come to United ahead of playing in Europe for St Mirren must be a question but its plausible.

He can play St Mirren’s two qualifying matches in early July then come to United before we even start pre-season friendlies. 

5 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

We seem to be linked to him in every transfer window. Is he the new Imrie?

Well we're definitely not paying a fee for him as he's just signed a new contract at St Mirren.

We definitely need another couple of midfielders if Doc is going to be out.

Would be good if the club released a list of whas staying and whas going soon.

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/8393/SQUAD-UPDATE--MAY-2024-.html

With our promotion back to the Scottish Premiership confirmed, preparations for the 2024/25 campaign are already underway, and therefore we can provide an initial squad update on players who will be departing the club upon the expiry of their contracts.

Sadat Anaku, Mark Birighitti, Layton Bisland, Logan Chalmers, Flynn Duffy, Declan Glass, Scott McMann, Archie Meekison, Chris Mochrie, Craig Moore and David Wotherspoon will all leave Dundee United this summer.

Furthermore, Jack Walton, Jordan Tillson, Alex Greive and Sam McClelland have returned to their parent clubs, Luton Town, Ross County, St Mirren and St Johnstone respectively.

We would like to place on record our gratitude to all players moving on to pastures new for their services in tangerine, and extend our best wishes for their future endeavours.

The club will communicate further updates regarding the playing squad in due course.

Shocked at McMann, but I'm wondering if that means he has an offer from somewhere else?

Half shocked at Mochrie and Meekison, but they have had chances that they never took, same with Glass.

The rest is no surprise in the slightest

2 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

McMann is a bit of a surprise, felt he could have done a job next season. Otherwise, not really.

Might be off down south?

2 minutes ago, WhatDayIsIt said:

Shocked at McMann, but I'm wondering if that means he has an offer from somewhere else?

Half shocked at Mochrie and Meekison, but they have had chances that they never took, same with Glass.

The rest is no surprise in the slightest

I wondered about McCann as he played a fee games. I'd guess the guys you mentioned and Chalmers may stay in the Championship?

Very disappointed that McMann is leaving.  Stepped up after Behich left and was definitely one of our best and most consistent players this season.