Annan Athletic. League 1. Season 23/24

18 minutes ago, annanbear said:

Anyone at Abbey Vale last night? Was wondering who was all playing?

Well Dom McMahon and Ryan Muir played for Annan as trialists apparently. I wasn't there but have heard they did. Plenty of pictures of the likes of Wullie Gibson, Scott Hooper, Aidan Smith, both your keepers, etc in action.

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well Dom McMahon and Ryan Muir played for Annan as trialists apparently. I wasn't there but have heard they did. Plenty of pictures of the likes of Wullie Gibson, Scott Hooper, Aidan Smith, both your keepers, etc in action.

What are McMahon and Muir like? I see they haven't played many games for Queens. Think they are decent enough for this level?

21 minutes ago, annanbear said:

What are McMahon and Muir like? I see they haven't played many games for Queens. Think they are decent enough for this level?

McMahon's unlucky in that he was trying to break into what was undeniably the strongest part of our team. He had Josh Todd, Harry Cochrane, Iain Wilson and Calvin McGrory in front of him and usually just two places available. I honestly can't tell you how good he might be. He was pretty highly rated in our youth setup coming through but he's had limited first team chances and I didn't often get to see the reserves. Even his one start last season up at Montrose was a game I missed.

Ryan Muir got a start against Hamilton last season in the Trust Trophy semi final and made two or three sub appearances at the end of the season and in the League Cup groups at the start. He never looked out of place and I'd say he's capable of this level. Similar to Scott Hooper but not quite as physical, maybe a little quicker. He's a right back mostly but he filled in as part of a three regularly in the reserves. A lot of our fans would have liked to have seen more of him last season I think but arrival of Cammy Logan on loan from Hearts in January probably put paid to his chances.

Both good lads, hope they get sorted out somewhere and get more regular football.

I'd add that I think McMahon flatters to deceive any time I've seen him. Runs around a lot but it covers for the fact he isn't very productive. I think Muir could do a job at this level but wasn't given much of a chance unfortunately under either manager last season. 

6 hours ago, annanbear said:

Anyone at Abbey Vale last night? Was wondering who was all playing?

Yep.

Mitchell in goals.

Gibson, Douglas, Hooper, R.Muir.

Luissint, Dixon, McMahon

Galloway, Smith, unknown guy called Lewis.

Goss & Swinglehurst came on in the 2nd half, as well as lots of young guys I didn't recognise, and some I did but couldn't identify. Fleming didn't come on, and no sign of Tam Muir, Doherty or Johnston.

Dixon played in the Moxon role, as others had predicted he would. Looked good and confident on the ball, but maybe too much so at times as him losing possession in the box led to Abbey Vale's goal.

1,750 attendance for a friendly pretty good, no , it is brilliant for our level.

Great Carlisle support but good for us too.

Can only but help strengthen relationships between our 2 clubs to both our benefits.

Both in the same boat - at the extremes of centralised media.

Decent way to spend a Friday night even if it felt like Carlisle treated used it a glorified training session fielding two entirely different teams each half.

Annan kept shape pretty well and disappointed to lose those two late goals . Thought Josh Dixon was impressive and up front created a few chances.

Of potential Carlisle loanees would like to see Kai Nugent (no 23) at Galabank,  and Kilsby would be more than welcome back.

Excellent turnout of 1700 plus which shows how much we have missed the fitba!

2 hours ago, marco44 said:

Never heard anything about him signing. 
Not even heard if he’s been training with us. 

We Have only just told him there will be no deal.

But interesting Annan reply to his latest Tik Tok video about not getting a deal...

Screenshot_20230714_111245_TikTok.thumb.jpg.cf2bf1550a6d1bad5a958a7dd357f41b.jpg

Edited by Jamie_M

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/06/2023 at 13:17, Skyline Drifter said:

Dom McMahon signed for Albion Rovers, played well yesterday and gave Annan the run around a bit, 

Annan taking their eye off the ball a bit there

42 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Hi making my first trip to Galabank tomorrow, just wondering if you have any recommendations for parking and food.  Looking forward to ticking another ground off my list, hopefully be an entertaining game. Any advice appreciated. 

There’s a small car park at the North end of the Ground. Or you can park on streets within a couple of minutes from the Ground. 
The Cafe Royal on the high street is good for carry out or sit in. Also on the High Street is Our Place and The Anglers both very good. 
Enjoy your day.