Who will be the next Celtic manager?

The next Celtic manager  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

3 seasons. In what everyone knows was a freak event for a mid-table/bottom-half side.

They finished 12th and 9th in the 2 seasons before he joined and were in 12th place when he joined them.

Ranieri got sacked the season after winning them the league. Does that mean he actually a shite job as well?

And it felt apart the more he built his own side and the stalwarts declined.

Same as Liverpool. 

Hes neither a manager who can build a long term success, nor one who has proven himself in a relegation battle, so the window of EPL clubs who want his (seemingly) set of skills (take a good side, make it better for 1/2 seasons, massive decline afterwards) feels pretty narrow. A Leeds/Watford/Fulham side, who rattle through managers, is the most likely. 

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Same as Liverpool. 

Hes neither a manager who can build a long term success, nor one who has proven himself in a relegation battle, so the window of EPL clubs who want his (seemingly) set of skills (take a good side, make it better for 1/2 seasons, massive decline afterwards) feels pretty narrow. A Leeds/Watford/Fulham side, who rattle through managers, is the most likely. 

He also needs financial backing which wasn’t happening at Leicester in the last couple of seasons. They were loosing too many players for free and the ones they did recoup huge fees for such as Fofana that money wasn’t then being made available for reinvestment to bring in similar quality hence why they were bringing in the likes of Harry Souttar. 

Rodgers abilities as a coach wasn’t the single point of failure, the board at Leicester are pretty culpable for the position they now find themselves in

Edited by Jinky67

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Disagree with this. He’s had 2 jobs in the EPL and has ultimately been sacked for both due to underperformance. 

This is nonesense really Mourinho is Chelsea's greatest ever manager and has been sacked twice by them.   Because of managerial merry go rounds these days you have to look at their record overall which on the face of it Rodgers did decent at both Leicester and Liverpool.

33 minutes ago, gannonball said:

This is nonesense really Mourinho is Chelsea's greatest ever manager and has been sacked twice by them.   Because of managerial merry go rounds these days you have to look at their record overall which on the face of it Rodgers did decent at both Leicester and Liverpool.

Comparing him with Mourinho isn’t probably the best choice Tbf. Mourinho has had lots of success in numerous countries including several ‘top 5’ leagues although granted you are correct about him being sacked by Chelsea twice.

I’ve already said I think he’ll do a very good job in Scotland. Of all the places he’s managed, that’s where the majority of success has been and he’s very good at operating at that level.

Would be very surprised if he doesn’t add another domestic treble.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Same as Liverpool. 

When did John Hughes manage Leicester and Liverpool?

2 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

He also needs financial backing which wasn’t happening at Leicester in the last couple of seasons. They were loosing too many players for free and the ones they did recoup huge fees for such as Fofana that money wasn’t then being made available for reinvestment to bring in similar quality hence why they were bringing in the likes of Harry Souttar. 

Rodgers abilities as a coach wasn’t the single point of failure, the board at Leicester are pretty culpable for the position they now find themselves in

Screenshot_20230614_125821_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c208383a7900f9b3dfdd0bc31c7c891f.jpg

He got to spend a fortune in 21/22, and the plan was that side was see them through the next season while the club invested money in other areas, like the stadium and training ground.

Rodgers then mewling in 22/23 that he needed more money to spend, because he'd built an overinflated, overpaid, shit squad, was met with the response he'd have to sell players to buy as the squad was too big and expensive. That he couldnt convince anyone to sign the absolute dross floating about and had to sell a key player on deadline day, followed by a frantic attempt at signing folk that led to nothing, sums it all up.

It was entirely his fault, and the idea big money wouldnt be spent without big sales that Summer was seemingly part of a long term plan Rodgers was aware of (according to Sky Sports).

Brendan Rodgers is a good coach, there is no denying that.  His big weakness is in recruitment so any team hiring him should bring in a good DoF to join him.

That being said, I'm not convinced that Rodgers' ego would see him take a job with a DoF

4 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

It’s the logical choice considering who was in the frame. We appoint a city group manager with under 20 games as a first team manager which was a car crash or Rodgers who won everything in front of him up here domestically and has also had success in the Premier League? 

He’s probably the one you were desperate for us not to get.

I totally agree he's a good manager. 

It's just hilarious watching all the folk who called him a Judas, traitor etc now explaining how they are prostituting themselves on the altar of success. 

So much for the greatly espoused Celtic fans values. 😂

45 minutes ago, Renfrewblue said:

It's just hilarious watching all the folk who called him a Judas, traitor etc now explaining how they are prostituting themselves on the altar of success. 

Simmer down. Your mob is celebrating a man that walked away from your club for hee-haw soon.

Do most Celtic fans dislike how Rodgers left, yes, yes they do.

Rat this, Judas this…

End of the if he’s appointed he’ll be backed by the fans.

3 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

The reasons behind that are both unique and not so. There were always murmurings after the helicopter crash in 2018 that the owners son wouldn't be quite as benevolent as his late dad had been. Then the pandemic hit, and King Power's business model (duty free travel outlets) took an absolute caning. EDITED TO ADD - I see RandomGuy has posted irt the end of Rodgers reign at Leicester. I hadn't appreciated he'd had that much to spend near the end... 

Leicester and Rodgers achieving two consecutive fifth place finishes and an FA cup is a remarkable achievement and, in context and in my opinion, a far greater one than his close run thing at Liverpool in 13-14.     

Edited by mozam76
subsequent post

3 hours ago, Renfrewblue said:

Time is a great healer. 

On 13/06/2023 at 15:37, Urban Spaceman said:

Anyone who watched that documentary filmed during his time at Anfield realised he was a narcissist and story teller then.. 

Self portraits and empty envelopes as motivational tools. Better at self promotion than coaching, but good enough for up here.

Looks like you've made a fool of yourself on the Wosfl forum talking about bigots.

Only bigot is you, Brother.

3 hours ago, stressball said:

Simmer down. Your mob is celebrating a man that walked away from your club for hee-haw soon.

What an absolutely bizarre take. 

3 hours ago, stressball said:

Your fans sung about hoping he dies in his sleep from a bullet from the IRA.

That's considerably different to saying "pure shite that he left n that but".

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Same as Liverpool. 

Sounds exactly what Chelsea needs to be honest

5 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Comparing him with Mourinho isn’t probably the best choice Tbf. Mourinho has had lots of success in numerous countries including several ‘top 5’ leagues although granted you are correct about him being sacked by Chelsea twice.

I’ve already said I think he’ll do a very good job in Scotland. Of all the places he’s managed, that’s where the majority of success has been and he’s very good at operating at that level.

Would be very surprised if he doesn’t add another domestic treble.

I clearly wasn't saying they are on the same level. My point was using your merit as to if they have been sacked or not no longer really apply to the modern game and used a far more successful manager to prove my point. 

Edited by gannonball

Great news today, hopefully it is all confirmed in good time. Rodgers is the strongest candidate by every measure I can think of. The noise around the appointment that he has been promised funds to improve the side is very encouraging. We signed some dross under him last time but I'm not convinced that all falls on him. The big signings we made - Sinclair, Edouard, Dembele and even Ntcham (for a time) all paid off. The famous targets we didn't push the boat out for Castagne and McGinn would have improved us too. 

On 11/06/2023 at 21:53, AJF said:

The last thing any manager should be concerned with is the opinion of a fan when considering which approach gives them the best opportunity to achieve a good result. It’s literally their job and they’ll be judged more harshly if they fail to adapt to the situations requirements.

At times it isn’t pretty but in general, how many times will a Celtic fan need to go through it a season? Not very many.

Arguably one of Celtic’s most famous results of recent times, the win against Barcelona, was the result of parking the bus and being clinical with the few chances you might create.

Yeah the Barca game is probably our biggest European win for a while and it's a good example of parking the bus working, but to be honest we've Fraser Forster as much as any tactical decision to thank for the result as anything else. He was unbelievable that night. If we had played them 100 times I don't think it's ending with a Celtic win more than once. I'd sooner we have a go than try to replicate that night again. 

4 hours ago, stressball said:

Do most Celtic fans dislike how Rodgers left, yes, yes they do.

Rat this, Judas this…

"You traded immortality for mediocrity. Never a Celt, always a fraud" 

Not my words. 

😂

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

What an absolutely bizarre take. 

Your fans sung about hoping he dies in his sleep from a bullet from the IRA.

That's considerably different to saying "pure shite that he left n that but".

That’s a bizarre take in itself of my post.

It’s not a song I know or can confess to have heard, that’s not denying it ever happened.

Whats the relevancy though? I said someone was being hypocritical talking about the climb down from hating him to “prostituting at the altar of success.”

16 minutes ago, Renfrewblue said:

"You traded immortality for mediocrity. Never a Celt, always a fraud" 

Not my words. 

😂

Well done, you remembered a banner.

If appointed, he’ll be backed by the fans. 

Edited by stressball

10 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

Brendan Rodgers and John Hughes in the same post. Comedy indeed.

Hopefully you are still laughing if history repeats itself 

It could be John Hughes or Brendan Rodgers, the outcome for Livi will still be the same until we reform the way the league works