Who will be the next Celtic manager?

The next Celtic manager  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Objectively Brendan is a good appointment for Celtic, but I don’t really get what’s in it for him. 

He evidently got a bit bored last time round, and his stock is high enough in England that you’d think a decent gig will be available for him in a few months. 

I know there’s champions league but the situation won’t have changed, boredom domestically and not the investment to be competitive in the CL. 

maybe he really is just an absolute Celtic fanboy. 

51 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

his stock is high enough in England that you’d think a decent gig will be available for him in a few months. 

I dunno. He spent a fortune at Leicester, over £200m, and going by their fans most were shite who he overpaid for. His spending led to them having to cut back and has eventually led to them having a shite unbalanced squad. Hes taken them from a promising young squad going for Europe to battling relegation with a muddle of a squad. Effectively an EPL version of Callum Davidson.

I dont think he'll be appealing, at all, to any team above a relegation battle now. A Leeds type club who yo-yo, and never stick by a manager long, might be the best he gets.

Celtic giving him the chance to win titles and manage in the Champions League again is a total no-brainer for him and you can see why hes desperate for it.

7 hours ago, Renfrewblue said:

I'm loving watching the Celtic fans twist and turn to try and pretend they didn't say they'd never have Rodgers back. 

Why accept a manager they called a "traitor" back now? 

Smacks of desperation. 

It’s the logical choice considering who was in the frame. We appoint a city group manager with under 20 games as a first team manager which was a car crash or Rodgers who won everything in front of him up here domestically and has also had success in the Premier League? 

He’s probably the one you were desperate for us not to get.

6 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Rodgers was absolutely up there as one of the comedy options. Just goes to show John Hughes is never far away either :D Some of the old tweets and comments about Rodgers leaving the first time around will be absolute gold if this does happen.

Brendan Rodgers and John Hughes in the same post. Comedy indeed.

Hopefully you are still laughing if history repeats itself 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Objectively Brendan is a good appointment for Celtic, but I don’t really get what’s in it for him. 

He evidently got a bit bored last time round, and his stock is high enough in England that you’d think a decent gig will be available for him in a few months. 

I know there’s champions league but the situation won’t have changed, boredom domestically and not the investment to be competitive in the CL. 

Disagree with this. He’s had 2 jobs in the EPL and has ultimately been sacked for both due to underperformance. I’d argue his stock has never been lower down south.

He’s going to get well paid up here for a job that he knows he can do very well and he’ll likely win a lot of domestically trophies. He also won’t be under the same pressure as he knows he’ll win 90%+ of his domestic games.

He’s also a very wealthy man and the pressure for him to chase higher paid jobs would won’t be as intense.

Maybe he’s just a guy that’s realised the level he can be successful at and is happy to operate at that level ?

I’m going to enjoy seeing Brendan Rodgers hold up the scarf and kiss the badge for his photoshoot. I’m checking Bet365 for odds on the phrase ‘unfinished business’ being used at his presser’. Has to be the easiest money all season. Might look at an acca’ with ‘unfinished business’, ‘a move I felt was right for me at the time’, and ‘can’t wait to get started’. Was swithering over ‘greatest fans in the world’ and ‘this club means everything to me’… but will decide later.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I dunno. He spent a fortune at Leicester, over £200m, and going by their fans most were shite who he overpaid for. His spending led to them having to cut back and has eventually led to them having a shite unbalanced squad. Hes taken them from a promising young squad going for Europe to battling relegation with a muddle of a squad. Effectively an EPL version of Callum Davidson.

I dont think he'll be appealing, at all, to any team above a relegation battle now. A Leeds type club who yo-yo, and never stick by a manager long, might be the best he gets.

Celtic giving him the chance to win titles and manage in the Champions League again is a total no-brainer for him and you can see why hes desperate for it.

7 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Disagree with this. He’s had 2 jobs in the EPL and has ultimately been sacked for both due to underperformance. I’d argue his stock has never been lower down south.

He’s going to get well paid up here for a job that he knows he can do very well and he’ll likely win a lot of domestically trophies. He also won’t be under the same pressure as he knows he’ll win 90%+ of his domestic games.

He’s also a very wealthy man and the pressure for him to chase higher paid jobs would won’t be as intense.

Maybe he’s just a guy that’s realised the level he can be successful at and is happy to operate at that level ?

He’s tainted a bit but he still took Liverpool to the brink of the title (albeit yes blew it), won an FA cup and had Leicester on course for the top 4 (yes I know blew that too) and had a good record with Swansea. 

He’s not on a trajectory to pick up an elite job but there are many worse coaches out there who seem to be given PL gigs without much fuss. His track record is by no means Terrible. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

In fairness, if the amount of money spent on players under Ange continues under Rodgers then they should absolutely be doing better in Europe. 

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

In fairness, if the amount of money spent on players under Ange continues under Rodgers then they should absolutely be doing better in Europe. 

They won’t though because they refuse to adapt their style. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Then when he's sacked after 3 months he can go back to Paradise. Trebles all round! 🥃

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

I think that has to be the measure, it has to improve. 

What is certain is if he does come back he will have wanted cast iron guarantees that he will be backed due to it being such a bone of contention last time.

22 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I’m going to enjoy seeing Brendan Rodgers hold up the scarf and kiss the badge for his photoshoot. I’m checking Bet365 for odds on the phrase ‘unfinished business’ being used at his presser’. Has to be the easiest money all season. Might look at an acca’ with ‘unfinished business’, ‘a move I felt was right for me at the time’, and ‘can’t wait to get started’. Was swithering over ‘greatest fans in the world’ and ‘this club means everything to me’… but will decide later.

Except if a big club comes calling...

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

They won’t though because they refuse to adapt their style. 

I’m not sure you will see that continuity in playing style. Rodgers is generally more pragmatic than Ange and plays with a double pivot and a 10 where Ange is more orthodox 433 with a single pivot and inverted fullbacks.

5 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I’m not sure you will see that continuity in playing style. Rodgers is generally more pragmatic than Ange and plays with a double pivot and a 10 where Ange is more orthodox 433 with a single pivot and inverted fullbacks.

I think he meant that Celtic won't adapt their style for European matches vs domestic matches - a criticism of Rodgers in his first stint.

“He was shite and got sacked in the end” is rubbish and ignores that he was the one who elevated them in the first place. Almost every manager down there gets sacked eventually. Two fifth placed finishes and an FA Cup is objectively a very good job even if it went stale after a few years.

Edited by eez-eh

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

“He was shite and got sacked in the end” is rubbish and ignores that he was the one who elevated them in the first place.

They won the league 2 seasons before he was hired.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They won the league 2 seasons before he was hired.

3 seasons. In what everyone knows was a freak event for a mid-table/bottom-half side.

They finished 12th and 9th in the 2 seasons before he joined and were in 12th place when he joined them.

Ranieri got sacked the season after winning them the league. Does that mean he actually did a shite job as well?

Edited by eez-eh

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

3 seasons. In what everyone knows was a freak event for a mid-table/bottom-half side.

They finished 12th and 9th in the 2 seasons before he joined and were in 12th place when he joined them.

Ranieri got sacked the season after winning them the league. Does that mean he actually did a shite job as well?

No it doesnt

He WON the league with Leicester ...