Clyde Season 23/24

Undoubtedly the correct decision to get rid of McLean despite him being given a rough hand. 

Id imagine in our current state and league position we are looking either at a young manager looking to break in higher up the league or an experienced head who is looking to get back in the job pool.

With that in mind I think McCall and Brown as mentioned previously are a bit out our depth. Wouldn’t bother with Thomson as he wouldn’t be up for the project of it I feel, hes played his hand in that regard before. Maybury I think could be a decent shout alongside McInally. 

Got an inescapable feeling it’s going to be Peter Grant Sr…

Even in the very, very, very, very, very small chance Scott Brown is interested I'd far rather be appointing someone either (or ideally both) more experienced and managed at this level before given the position we're in and the trap door lurking over our shoulder. 

From names mentioned so far Jim McInally seems a stand out.

What about the dream team of Mick Kennedy and Si Ferry. ?
MK spouts continually about how good he is so give him the opportunity.
Some say he has built a reputation by bankrolling the Clubs he is at so that’s a bonus too.
Would be interesting to see if he is all wind and pish or is he actually any good.

8 hours ago, Pyramid Watcher said:

Could do worse than David Proctor from Cumbernauld Colts, done a great job (2nd in league) on a very limited budget.

With Billy Mortimer playing as a striker.

To be honest, I've championed the likes of Gordon Moffat a few times but as I've said, I don't think now is the time for a manager that's never worked in the league system. That was probably the move to pull when we were still in League 1 before Lennon was given that wild new contract.

At this point, the board should be going all out to try and bring in a no-nonsense, experienced manager. There's obviously no guarantee that they'll keep us in the league, but someone that's proven they can navigate the lower leagues is essential.

13 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

What about the dream team of Mick Kennedy and Si Ferry. ?

I think there's more chance of us landing Scott Brown.

MK is also not a very good manager, but he's very good at surrounding himself with bodies who can make up for that. They've just built a very solid coaching team at EK including the likes of Craig Bryson and Blair Munn, and the money ploughed into the squad is more than we could hope to provide them with.

They're also going to skoosh the league and will almost certainly be promoted into League 2 come next season. There's a big chance they'll be waving at us as the paths cross.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

2 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Undoubtedly the correct decision to get rid of McLean despite him being given a rough hand. 

Id imagine in our current state and league position we are looking either at a young manager looking to break in higher up the league or an experienced head who is looking to get back in the job pool.

With that in mind I think McCall and Brown as mentioned previously are a bit out our depth. Wouldn’t bother with Thomson as he wouldn’t be up for the project of it I feel, hes played his hand in that regard before. Maybury I think could be a decent shout alongside McInally. 

Got an inescapable feeling it’s going to be Peter Grant Sr…

A bit like when my bird walked out and I thought, I'll just hang-fire...that Beyoncè might be interested.

29 minutes ago, Highland Bully Wee said:

McInally a reasonably shout, I'd suggested John Hughes previously, might be a good shout to kick their backsides and get them out of this shitshow, did well at ICT and the Staggies under the circumstances........

image.png.f01ecd19478bf23e932b3553aac02c54.png

Hughes is in the same bracket as McCall and Brown and I feel is way out our reach. 

Next manager who comes in should have knowledge and experience of managing part time football or at least a body of work outside the top flight to show that they can work at our level

56 minutes ago, Highland Bully Wee said:

McInally a reasonably shout, I'd suggested John Hughes previously, might be a good shout to kick their backsides and get them out of this shitshow, did well at ICT and the Staggies under the circumstances........

image.png.f01ecd19478bf23e932b3553aac02c54.png

John Hughes is a walking cliche and a complete yesterdays man. He has previous for coming into struggling teams and getting them relegated (see raith and Dunfermline). Players just don’t respond well to old school kicking their arses or giving them the hairdryer treatment these days.

It’s obviously vital we get this appointment correct but some of the same old names being dropped are depressing. If the money man has ambitions to move us forward as a club surely getting a progressive manager in is the first thing to get right.

Whilst Jim McInally probably isn’t the answer long term (he failed to really move Peterhead on from a poor league 1 side despite a healthy budget for most of his tenure) he would bring stability and has experience of getting promotion from this league which has to be the aim next season if we can survive this one.

24 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Whilst Jim McInally probably isn’t the answer long term (he failed to really move Peterhead on from a poor league 1 side despite a healthy budget for most of his tenure) he would bring stability and has experience of getting promotion from this league which has to be the aim next season if we can survive this one.

I'd take a Jim McInally for the remainder of the season, whilst being proactive in securing someone for next season. However, with this board and current chairman, I'm not expecting anything of the sort.

I really think it will be given to Millar, Parry or Peter Grant Jr in the interim.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

25 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I've no idea if he'd be interested. I spoke to him earlier this year (or it might've been last year actually) and he didn't seem in any rush to get back to football, but would Stevie Aitken be a shout?

Do you think he could do a job? I honestly don't know much about him as a manager.

He has quite a low win % from his time at the Sons and didn't do well at EK but of course that won't tell the whole story.

1 hour ago, BWAClyde said:

McInally would be a decent choice but I remember him going off a couple of times about our more vocal supporters that could possibly put him off.

Jim knew how to beat Clyde but not sure if he would be interested in being in charge of them, lives in Gundee so would be a bit of a comute

The interim management situation  has been mentioned.  I have no real issue with Miller, if it’s him, for this weeks game (we need someone to take training and prepare the team best he can for the cup game after all) but as long as it is very short term until a permanent manager is appointed.

BTW absolutely not Yogie Hughes, Peter Grant etc. McInally would be ok I suppose, he certainly had us on his mantle piece for years. Not my first pick though although the pick may be a limited pool.. who knows, as long as there is a process where we cast the net a bit.
I’m pretty sure it’s Maitland who is leading this and if so I’m slightly more confident, I repeat slightly!

As an outsider, I think McInally is probably the best option but I do wonder if he has the desire to go to a club struggling, bit of turmoil in it’s future, lacking in money, whilst travelling from Broughty Ferry, it would he rather just bide his time and keep his fingers crossed that he’s a shout for a job like Forfar IF that was to come up.

Aitken is a cracking shout, and someone I hoped would take the Stirling job when KR was sacked/walked. Although I’m obviously delighted with Young, I didn’t think he was a realistic appointment, however in Aitken I saw someone who had done well with tight budgets, built winning sides and with the exception of maybe a season at Dumbarton, did really well. Since then he has also failed at EK but I do think he is deserving of another chance and this might be a good route back in for him.