Clyde Season 23/24

19 hours ago, same_ol_g35 said:

Just watched Chris Millar's pre match Interview for the Scottish Cup tie. Good to see everyone (except Cuddihy) is available for selection. Also he is so much better at interviews than McLean was. Hopefully that also applies to organising the players on the park. 

I hope Morton and Killie are letting us play King and Leslie. I don’t think the latter is likely to feature for Killie in the cup when he goes back to them in January, but the former may well be in Morton’s plans. 

Really hope I'm wrong here, but our board's indecision regarding our manager might prove to be an expensive blunder...had we emptied McLean before the break, we could have got the new manager bounce for the cup; instead we have Miller, who I don't think wants the job, babysitting a team who have little confidence.  

A favourable draw could double our annual revenue.

Don’t think it’s indecision, they were criticised for no real process in appointing Duffy initially then Duffy and McLean.
So now they are apparently speaking to people (or hopefully Allan Maitland is). Taking some time and with luck an interview process with a number of candidates. 
Takes time especially when those involved have other day jobs, probably including candidates. The joys of a part time football club. 

11 hours ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

We're never going to have a better chance to progress through these first two rounds than we have now.

Absolutely false. Musselburgh will be fired up more than ever for this evening knowing that they have a home tie against Jeanfield if they progress. If we do manage to get past Musselburgh this evening, we've just seen what Jeanfield are capable of against a team that we're basically neck and neck with in the league. I'd personally take playing against a team higher up the food chain in a malaise rather than some fired up 'underdogs' with a taste for League 2 blood.

The next couple of cup ties are incredibly dangerous.

57 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Absolutely false. Musselburgh will be fired up more than ever for this evening knowing that they have a home tie against Jeanfield if they progress. If we do manage to get past Musselburgh this evening, we've just seen what Jeanfield are capable of against a team that we're basically neck and neck with in the league. I'd personally take playing against a team higher up the food chain in a malaise rather than some fired up 'underdogs' with a taste for League 2 blood.

No one is saying tonight's tie will be easy, or the next round if we make it. I doubt many, if any, Clyde fans would be surprised if we lose tonight but, the point remains that playing clubs from two tiers below us is a massive opportunity to progress in the cup.

I'd be jealous of another League 2 club getting these draws, even having seen the results ("upsets") over the weekend.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

54 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

What a complete state we're in if we can't be confident that we can beat Chippy Sauce FC and Arse End of Angus United. No excuses, no false narrative. Must wins, should wins.

2 hours ago, Wee man the jackass said:

Chippy Sauce FC and Arse End of Angus United.

Probably unwise to reduce teams like Jeanfield and Musselburgh to Dog and Duck level. The junior rabbles of old are disappearing and the expectation has flipped in cup ties involving League 2 teams to the point where you almost expect the non-league team to get the win or at least run it very close.

You could probably argue that, after what we've seen happen to Clyde over the past few seasons, a lot of teams at that level are much more professionally run units than us.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

2 hours ago, Wee man the jackass said:

What a complete state we're in if we can't be confident that we can beat Chippy Sauce FC and Arse End of Angus United. No excuses, no false narrative. Must wins, should wins.

Agree - if we are in a position of worrying about those clubs (and we might be), then that tells it's own story around the decline. 

Just now, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

(and we might be)

I don't think there's any 'might' about it. A Monday night game, Musselburgh at home, sold out and full of their fans, potentially winnable tie to come, with us having just sacked our manager in the midst of some of the worst form in living memory?

If you're not shitting yourself, you're mental.

6 hours ago, macclyde+ said:

Were Jeanfield really that good, Elgin horrible, or a mixture of both ?

A mixture of both. Jeanfield have some rapid tricky players up front who carved up the defence. I thought Elgin might have tested the Swifts defence more but they had about one clear cut shot in the first half and a header that went over by which time is was too late. Given the ball skills Jeanfield have displayed I think they would enjoy playing on the NDP artificial surface.  

The difference in fitness and speed that there might have been between the lower Scottish League teams and non-league sides even 20 years ago has also disappeared. 

3 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

No one is saying tonight's tie will be easy, or the next round if we make it. I doubt many, if any, Clyde fans would be surprised if we lose tonight but, the point remains that playing clubs from two tiers below us is a massive opportunity to progress in the cup.

I'd be jealous of another League 2 club getting these draws, even having seen the results ("upsets") over the weekend.

Exactly my point. We can’t do better than draw teams from two tiers below us for two consecutive rounds.