Clyde Season 23/24

49 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

The only real reassurance I’m getting about our current predicament is how bad supporters of other clubs are saying Forfar currently are - their own support included!

From the outside looking in Forfars biggest problem seems to be putting the ball in the net. They have signed Russell McLean to fix this issue but I’m not sure he’s the answer for them. 

Defensively they have the 5th best record in the league and far superior to ourselves, Elgin and Stranraer ( 15 goals better off than ourselves!)and only a couple goals worse off than Peterhead and Dumbarton who occupy the top 4.Due to the fact that they have such a good defensive record I’d be inclined to say they will pick up more points than us, especially when we have a keeper basically conceding every shot they face at the moment, no matter how good the players in front of them you simply need your keepers to make saves when needed. If their defensive record collapses and worsens then I can see them getting dragged into it. In my opinion I think it’s more likely to come down to us and Stranraer considering Elgin seem to have sorted themselves out a bit and have a good home record 

Just now, SLClyde said:

The fact we’ve got rid of 10 players in January and Euan Cameron isn’t one of them deserves a public inquiry. 

If that’s not a damning indictment of our summer recruitment I don’t know what is… 

I don't think Clyde are doomed just yet. Looking back at Montrose's near-exit from league football in 2015, we only began to really become detached in mid-late March after a brief upturn when Hegarty and Holt came in. Results were patchy in February and then we beat Arbroath 3-0 at home in early March. However unfortunately things just fell away after that and by the end of the month we were preparing for the play-off already. Indeed, we collected only four points from our last nine games before the play-offs.

Two things: McCall will not have gone there to finish last. His signings have 2-3 weeks to come good yet and perhaps put a run of form together. But it needs to be before the end of February for things to turn around meaningfully. Forfar are also eye-bleedingly bad and run very complacently. Most other clubs would have emptied Ray McKinnon before Christmas.

Secondly, even if you finish last, it's really good to have such an expereinced manager in charge. I am convinced that a mixture of Hegarty and Holt's accumulated know-how in very big games, and their player's sheer terror of their collective 10,000-degrees centigrade Jim McLean hairdryer, got them through those two legs. McCall similarly knows how to win big games.

Well, good luck. A few weeks yet before you bow to the inevitable I think. I know it is extremely tedious watching underfunded pish season after season after season, run by a succession of clownshoes managers putting out farragos of lower league jobbers who couldn't give a f**k either way. Somehow I think it can turn yet though.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

Sounds like after Tuesday's "heroics" we tried to scramble around and find a keeper to sign before the window shut, only to fail miserably. If only we had identified that Leighfield was garbage oh, I don't know, 6 months ago! Hopefully the loan window can throw something up.

I see Scott Mercer has signed for Bonnyrigg. Given most of his clubs have been towards the East, it maybe makes sense for him to stay playing out that way but that’d have been a definite improvement at right-back for us.

Let’s hope we use that one remaining loan slot wisely!

9 hours ago, Replays said:

Let’s hope we use that one remaining loan slot wisely!

It absolutely must be used to sign a goalkeeper, and preferably today. You can tell now that Leighfield's form is having an effect on even the new defenders.

I know Parry wasn't showing up well before he was dropped, but I'd bring him in. Saying that, McCall persisting with Leighfield despite his performances probably says Parry is looking shaky in training too.

Either way, we need a change in there or else we're fucked.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

6 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

It absolutely must be used to sign a goalkeeper, and preferably today. You can tell now that Leighfield's form is having an effect on even the new defenders.

I know Parry wasn't showing up well before he was dropped, but I'd bring him in. Saying that, McCall persisting with Leighfield despite his performances probably says Parry is looking shaky in training too.

Either way, we need a change in there or else we're fucked.

I agree with the general idea that Parry is past it; crosses, kicking etc. He was a strange re-signing but probably okay as a back up. However, he was also MotM in 2 of his first 3 games this season (Hamilton and Spartans), primarily by saving shots.

Leighfield has flapped at crosses, sliced kicks, not saved anything and also panics everyone around him with wild shouts.

34 minutes ago, clyde_r_us said:

if the worst happens and we end up in the lowland league, will anyone stay a supporter

Don’t think anyone would stop supporting, but crowds would go down dramatically. The thought of going to watch Gala Fairydean and Civil Service Strollers etc is bad enough. 

13 minutes ago, SLClyde said:

Don’t think anyone would stop supporting, but crowds would go down dramatically. The thought of going to watch Gala Fairydean and Civil Service Strollers etc is bad enough. 

Won’t stay away completely will buy season ticket but absolutely no way I’ll attend the B team matches!

1 hour ago, clyde_r_us said:

if the worst happens and we end up in the lowland league, will anyone stay a supporter

Paying to watch players who could conceivably be worse than what was there pre xmas in a stadium with no atmosphere and little/no hope of progress.

🤔

Sometimes in life you just need to accept the inevitable and make the necessary changes...