Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Big fan of the strip, only thing is maybe red ‘cuffs’ would have went with the red collar and red flash on the sides. Going on holiday on Friday so won’t be one of the first but glad to get a home strip for the collection instead of boycotting and going with a change strip like I did last season.

39 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

That genuinely looks like they've been paying since 10am..... its now 5pm and everyones f*cked and half of them have gone home.

And btw, before this is perceived as a moan or a groan.  It was essentially a kick about in a public park, 8-0 or 6-5, couldn't give a f*ck if we never won a pre-season game again, as long as there's a bit more effort when the real stuff starts.

Edited by ++Ammo - Airdrie++
their / there / they're

3 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

And btw, before this is perceived as a moan or a groan.  It was essentially a kick about in a public park, 8-0 or 6-5, couldn't give a f*ck if we never won a pre-season game again, as long as there's a bit more effort when the real stuff starts.

Yeah losing 8-0 is never great but ultimately it doesn’t matter and it’s all forgotten about if we get a result on Saturday. 

My main thought watching that video was how much bigger the Mansfield players were. I know English lower league teams generally are and we’re not exactly physical even for up here but it looks like they bullied us a bit. 

13 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

2 defenders and a backup keeper are a must.

We can't play Hutton first game of the season.

I keep forgetting about Rae’s suspension but yeah, another keeper is needed for that game and for if Rae gets injured/suspended again. I know he came on against Falkirk but let’s have the penalty save as Hutton’s last proper moment in an Airdrie top please.

Josh Kerr supposedly going to sign a 2 year contract with us today (according to Daily Sport). Remember him being solid for you lads alongside Big Baws Dycey.

Think he was on trial at Thistle last week.

Thoughts on him?

I'm thinking an option for us but not expecting anything special. L1 likely his ceiling.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

21 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Josh Kerr supposedly going to sign a 2 year contract with us today (according to Daily Sport). Remember him being solid for you lads alongside Big Baws Dycey.

Thoughts on him?

I'm thinking an option for us but not expecting anything special. L1 likely his ceiling.

I posted this in the Thistle thread when he was on trial there. He was best when played in the middle of a back three, a bit shakier in a back four. Covid didn't help but he was very stop/start at Airdrie.

On 02/07/2023 at 23:11, Mr November said:

I think Airdrie fans are a bit mixed on him but I’d be more inclined to agree with @airdrieman’s summary of him a few pages ago. When he joined Airdrie I thought he’d leave us to go to a much bigger club or be a disaster and drop down a few levels but he actually just left pretty much the same player.  He had some decent spells in his first two seasons but was generally in and out the team due to form and mostly injuries. He never really got going in his final season and it’s telling that 5ft 9 Rhys McCabe was a better option at centre back. Tall, not too slow and good on the ball, though is prone to being overconfident with it. His main issue is being incredibly injury prone.

1 minute ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Thoughts on him?

I like Josh as I've said elsewhere and to be honest if we were still in L1 I'd have been happy to have him back. Defo a player in there and for a central defender at this level is very good on the ball. However, as mentioned above his injury record is diabolical. He has only managed more than 20 games in a season once in his entire senior career because of it.

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Thoughts on him?

Agree with others, I think if Josh had stayed injury free in his career then there's no doubt he would have been playing at least in the championship. Brighton must have seen something once upon a time,  to sign him, albeit for the development squad.

Denied a few absolute rasping free kicks by the woodwork or good goalkeeping and seems like just a nice guy to have around the place.

17 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Agree with others, I think if Josh had stayed injury free in his career then there's no doubt he would have been playing at least in the championship. Brighton must have seen something once upon a time,  to sign him, albeit for the development squad.

Denied a few absolute rasping free kicks by the woodwork or good goalkeeping and seems like just a nice guy to have around the place.

Agree with most,  Kerr has class when he is on his game and happy,  under pressure he can lose concentration pretty easily,  wish the lad well,   interestingly if he signs it's another player moving on a 2 year deal,   a number of clubs are doing this,  we don't it seems,   is this another reason for the lack of recruitment are players holding out for a little more security on 2 year deals, it is a risk,  but so is a 1 year deal with vultures like Murray waiting to hoover up our best players, will no doubt happen again....

Looking forward to the Dundee game premier League side,  No preseason training game like last week please Rhys...

16 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Agree with most,  Kerr has class when he is on his game and happy,  under pressure he can lose concentration pretty easily,  wish the lad well,   interestingly if he signs it's another player moving on a 2 year deal,   a number of clubs are doing this,  we don't it seems,   is this another reason for the lack of recruitment are players holding out for a little more security on 2 year deals, it is a risk,  but so is a 1 year deal with vultures like Murray waiting to hoover up our best players, will no doubt happen again....

Looking forward to the Dundee game premier League side,  No preseason training game like last week please Rhys...

Only one a know who’s signed a two year deal is Watson