Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Posted (edited)

Can we please just keep McCabe for as long as possible and not wish him away with discussions of a replacement?

Cautionary tale: Coyle moved from Burnley to Bolton and has gone down hill ever since. If your face fits.....How many jobs since has he lasted a season?

Edited by Diamonds on the Windshield

20 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Can we please just keep McCabe for as long as possible and not wish him away with discussions of a replacement?

Cautionary tale: Coyle moved from Burnley to Bolton and has gone down hill ever since. If your face fits.....How many jobs since has he lasted a season?

Good post,

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Do you think MacCabe is further up the food chain than Kris Doolan of Thistle.... A lot of similarities between the two,  2 very talented young managers which is great to see in the wastelands of Scottish football..

Great point. I think Doolan’s stock is higher at present. 

I genuinely think there’s a good chance he stays in to next season if we’re still a Championship club (probably) but realistically if there have been rumblings behind closed doors and if it’s likely that Rhys will leave, the board will know it.   I’m sure that gives them LOADS of time to research a good replacement.  So confident we’ll get a good manager if he goes.  But again, I’m actually pretty hopeful that he’ll be here for a bit, even if it’s up to Christmas or there abouts 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Passionate said:

Do you think MacCabe is further up the food chain than Kris Doolan of Thistle.... A lot of similarities between the two,  2 very talented young managers which is great to see in the wastelands of Scottish football..

I’m not an expert on Doolan so could be speaking out of turn but agree that there are similarities between the two. Both have performed well or exceeded expectations very quickly, have their teams challenging for promotion to the Premier League and playing an attractive style of football. I think what might be most impressive about them though is that they both seem adaptable and able to resolve issues and recover from setbacks or losses of form. Which might be the most important abilities of a football manager. Different budgets of course and shopping in different markets (Consillium ‘R’ Us) but both have recruited pretty well. For all I don’t like his team or brand of football I think Imrie will have a good managerial career too. 

Agreed. I think it’s great, and potentially and hopefully, exciting for Scottish football that there’s a crop of exciting young managers working their way up the game. Andy Graham at Alloa is another one. Just need those higher up the food chain to start being brave and giving these guys jobs and time to impose themselves on clubs. Or not come to think of it! 

Edited by airdrieman

20 hours ago, Passionate said:

I think due to McCabe’s varied history he will have more contacts in the game which will make him more attractive.

Doolan has absolutely done a great a job at Thistle but he went in there knowing the club from back to front & top to bottom after years as a player. Both of them have done stellar jobs this term so will be interesting to see what kind of paths they take. 

Is the Imrie train as strong this year? They had a 14 game unbeaten run bookended by relegation form, which seems to coincide with two players coming into the team. I think Imrie’s stock is certainly a good bit lower than this time last year, and of the three or four managers that would be looked at to take a step up, I think he’s probably at the back of the queue now… plus he shat himself in high school.

41 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Has Josh Rae played his last game for us? He stated on the 1924 draw that he has a scan in 2 weeks time and was hoping to get the all clear.

Hope not but he would be one of the players I think most likely to get a move in the summer along with Hanncock and maybe Ballantyne, Friz. Hopefully i'm wrong but they must have attracted intrest this season and our wages probably the lowest in the Championship next season, unless we go up of course...

On 29/10/2023 at 22:45, scottbamby said:

IMG_0892.thumb.jpeg.a3271c2303e1e5e98369530d38ff90b4.jpegThanks for the three points. We’ll be seeing you soon on our way past you up the league table. 

No league table with you today, Scott?

On 30/04/2024 at 21:56, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

This is what worries me. We appointed Murray which progressed the club to a point where Rhys took over and ultimately got the material success. Could argue that this regime has a “100% hit rate” manager wise, but can lightning really strike thrice?

Tbf we had 5 managers in a row who were successful and achieved more than the previous one, so it's not unheard of.

We're probably paying the cost of that now though, mind you.

Posted (edited)

Nice to see the meltdown on the Facebook page by some last night. Genuinely furious because a few players were rested. 😅 

Absolutely did the right thing last night. We could be looking at 6 games in 2 and half weeks (something like that). A rest and avoiding unnecessary injuries or suspensions was the obvious way to go. Instead there’s talk of losing momentum (when we might not have won anyway (given we had nothing to play for and both eyes in Tuesday)) and complaints around fairness for ICT and not having been told up front. Some folk never happy. 

Edited by Airdrie76

3 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Nice to see the meltdown on the Facebook page by some last night. Genuinely furious because a few players were rested. 😅 

Absolutely did the right thing last night. We could be looking at 6 games in 2 and half weeks (something like that). A rest and avoiding unnecessary injuries or suspensions was the obvious way to go. Instead there’s talk of losing momentum (when we might not have won anyway (given we had nothing to play for and both eyes in Tuesday)) and complaints around fairness for ICT and not having been told up front. Some folk never happy. 

I shouldn't be surprised but I couldn't believe some of the comments about it. Anyone who went along not realising it was going to be a combination of bench warmers and starters trying to avoid injury must be living on Mars. As was pointed out countless times McCabe did exactly the same last year, and Murray the same (but more extreme) the year before.

And anyone who thinks we should have been going all out for the win last night with our best team and risk injuries/suspensions for a meaningless game doesn't deserve to have nice things.

10 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I shouldn't be surprised but I couldn't believe some of the comments about it. Anyone who went along not realising it was going to be a combination of bench warmers and starters trying to avoid injury must be living on Mars. As was pointed out countless times McCabe did exactly the same last year, and Murray the same (but more extreme) the year before.

And anyone who thinks we should have been going all out for the win last night with our best team and risk injuries/suspensions for a meaningless game doesn't deserve to have nice things.

100% this.

I genuinely couldn't even get upset with Paton last night, actually found it quite funny, celebrating safety by running over to the fans of the makeshift squad that will be competing in the premiership playoffs a few days later to give the v's. 🤣.

Wonder if he'll be there supporting 😉😂

11 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

100% this.

I genuinely couldn't even get upset with Paton last night, actually found it quite funny, celebrating safety by running over to the fans of the makeshift squad that will be competing in the premiership playoffs a few days later to give the v's. 🤣.

Wonder if he'll be there supporting 😉😂

What’s his beef with airdrie ? Have asked this before but no one answered 😂

2 hours ago, KD1711 said:

What’s his beef with airdrie ? Have asked this before but no one answered 😂

He had a trial with Airdrie a few years back and Ian Murray told him he wasn't good enough.

3 hours ago, Skeletar Spider said:

He had a trial with Airdrie a few years back and Ian Murray told him he wasn't good enough.

Aye maybe his attitude his playing was ok.