Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

5 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Would say centre half is more needed atm, would like to see reid get a few games and if he doesn’t look up to it can always try loan a striker in September.

Yip still a centre back for me too. Aidan Wilson has looked ok but I'm keen to see how he performs when the real stuff starts, especially on league match day 2 at Somerset.

5 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

On the surface it all seems very amicable and perhaps its simply the case that Ben Wilson will be numero uno up front and with the glut of midfielders we have there wasn't going to be many opportunities for him to start games.

Of course it might be that we can use the funds better elsewhere so I'm expecting a signing shortly.

Exactly this mate, believe this was the case and he’s already found a new club.

38 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

That’s a bit of a shock tbh , wouldn’t mind him at the rovers, we like an ex airdrie player and need a good forward 😜

You're unbelievable 😳 

12 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

Been chewing on this for the last 45, worried he’s heading to Raith. We’ll see….. 

I doubt Airdrie would be releasing him so he can just walk into another club in the same division.

Edited by TheScarf

Been mulling it a bit, I think the front line looks in a lot better shape than it did last year with McGregor-turned-Mbappe, a proven scorer in Wilson and bright talents of Cooper and Reid, plus we've still got McStravick to come back into the fold, too. It's clear that Todorov was not going to feature and if he was one of our higher earners then fair enough it absolutely makes sense for him to find a new club.

I liked Todorov and he had a cracking song, but he scored six goals in 32 Championship appearances (1744 minutes) for us last season which isn't really good enough as our main striker. And yep, I do take the point that he scored important goals in the cup runs... but league has to be our bread and butter. I guess he'll go down as a bit of a cult hero for us, but yep as he says time to move on and wish him the best of luck wherever he goes.

Bit surprised and definitely felt he still had something to offer us. Maybe he recognises that Wilson will be preferred to him but surely when he first signed he was behind Gallagher in the pecking order? I think we’re possibly less likely to lump the ball up the park this season with our new signings so possibly it’s a case of him not feeling suited to a change of style.

I already felt we needed another forward so absolutely need to sign one now.

At this stage in pre-season it only really makes sense to release him if we have someone else lined up to use his wages on. He'd have been a good option off the bench and although he wouldn't have been happy with that he was under contract so would just have had to get on with it.

No doubt he scored some big goals for us last year, but he is also very limited and our inability to turn possession into goals in lots of games was partly due to his (and all our strikers) poor link up play not allowing us to hold possession higher up the pitch. The big man is chaos and great in the air, which combined means he is a handful, but I can also see why McCabe wants to move on from him and why he's struggled to hold down a regular spot at most of his clubs.

An incredibly Mortony type of signing so wouldn't be surprised to see him end up there.

40 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

On the surface it all seems very amicable and perhaps its simply the case that Ben Wilson will be numero uno up front and with the glut of midfielders we have there wasn't going to be many opportunities for him to start games.

Of course it might be that we can use the funds better elsewhere so I'm expecting a signing shortly.

Hopefully but I see someone’s plastered some potential details on the Facebook group.

11 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

An incredibly Mortony type of signing so wouldn't be surprised to see him end up there.

I'd be shocked if Imrie wasn't already in for him. Happened with Oakley leaving Inverness, was all lined up to come to us before he had even secured his release.

a bit surprised to see toddy go, but i guess he didnt want to play 2nd fiddle to ben wilson, that should hopefully free up a good portion of the wage he may have been on (im guessing at roughly £800-£1000 pw) so theres atleast 2 half decent squad building players we could get in on just his lost wage alone...bare in mind that its also saving us about 40-48k a year on that wage

feel like the style of play were going for now is too fast for toddy, great target man to have in the box especially at the back post, but considering the only wingers we had that could cross a ball to him were both megwa, and hancock and only 1 of them is still here, i can see why we agreed to part ways, gave us some good memories though, the winner against queens park before the new year, his 30yd screamer against morton and obviously the penalty that won us the challenge cup

i can see him going to morton, dunfermline (though i think he may be a polarising character there after the bridges hes burned) or hamilton

Agree with a lot of the above, let's be realistic Toddy wasn't going to be first choice and likely would have ended up in the role CalGal filled for most of last season. He'll be one of the higher earners without a doubt so frees up some substantial wages for a defender. Plus it looks very like our style is going to evolve even more to focus on very fast, dynamic attacks and a strong pressing ground based game. Not one word in that sentence describes how Toddy plays.

Love the big guy, total cult hero. But ok with this.

7 minutes ago, boost said:

a bit surprised to see toddy go, but i guess he didnt want to play 2nd fiddle to ben wilson, that should hopefully free up a good portion of the wage he may have been on (im guessing at roughly £800-£1000 pw) so theres atleast 2 half decent squad building players we could get in on just his lost wage alone...bare in mind that its also saving us about 40-48k a year on that wage

Think your guesstimate is not far away but getting 2 half decent squad players in for £400 per week (roughly the living wage) would prove mighty difficult.

4 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Fordyce? Ballantine ? They have previous

Not when they had another year left of their contract

10 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Fordyce? Ballantine ? They have previous

I’m pretty sure they were out of contract.