Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Pretty much concur with the defence & forwards comments but as you allude to I would slightly differ on the midfield. McCabe the player is unquestionably on the way down, and McCabe the manager is probably looking for to replace him but I don't believe it's time for the boots to be hung up as a player of his ability and experience, at the very least is excellent back up. Murray Aiken I would love to see return as he provides a different option with his energy, pace and ability to win the ball back, something we lack and I'll be shocked if he ends up in league 1.

It does no harm for McCabe to stay fit and be an option if needed, no problem with that as he'd be there anyway. If he keeps playing I think that will be his role. He's had 2 pretty bad injuries this season which may be a sign age is catching up with him, and may also make him question whether it's worth it to carry on playing. Really interested to see what he does.

2 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I don't think a year in League 1 would do much for Aiken's development. He's already beyond that level and is good not only to contribute but also to benefit from playing at Championship level, against full time, decent teams.  O' Connor is otherwise. Whether he just ain't got it or he does have it but needs to develop, it'd be better for him to go down a level for a year.  If we want to improve on this season we need better than him as an option. 

It's not so much that I think he's League 1 level, but I think especially after missing most of this year he needs to play every week. He didn't play every week with us when fit and not sure he would have had he not been injured, so may be better for him to go to a team where he'd be virtually assured of regular football. I'm not sure he'll get that at a Championship team. Like I said I don't think he's a bad player by any means but just not convinced he's what we need to help us push on and improve further. I don't know what the realistic alternatives are so it's hard to really say whether I'd want him back or not. Happy to trust McCabe's judgement on that.

11 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It's not so much that I think he's League 1 level, but I think especially after missing most of this year he needs to play every week. He didn't play every week with us when fit and not sure he would have had he not been injured, so may be better for him to go to a team where he'd be virtually assured of regular football. I'm not sure he'll get that at a Championship team. Like I said I don't think he's a bad player by any means but just not convinced he's what we need to help us push on and improve further. I don't know what the realistic alternatives are so it's hard to really say whether I'd want him back or not. Happy to trust McCabe's judgement on that.

With Hibs getting a tanking yesterday and the likelihood they'll change Manager, which could present another issue, who knows what will happen with him. I'm a huge fan of the lad and therefore it's fair to say we're miles apart on this one.

36 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

With Hibs getting a tanking yesterday and the likelihood they'll change Manager, which could present another issue, who knows what will happen with him. I'm a huge fan of the lad and therefore it's fair to say we're miles apart on this one.

Would think Ian Murray would find the Hibs gig hard to turn down if offered,   Hibs are embarrassing enough without appointing a manager ,(McCabe) who is unable to manage in the Premier League due to not having the relevant coaching badges..

11 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

He's had 2 pretty bad injuries this season which may be a sign age is catching up with him.

He’s 32 in July FFS. It’s hardly as if he’s finished. A 36 year old Brian Graham had most of our defence running in circles three times over the last five weeks.

Decided just to switch off from all things football over the weekend but have to say, first time in a long time I’ve come away from playoff with a feeling of yeah it’s a disappointing but how bloody proud everyone should be and what a bloody season. Achieved more than I ever expected, had some great games, performances and had a load of bloody fun in the process. 

Been knackering with it being so close for so long before the brilliant run of midweek fixture pile-ups that paved the way for playoffs. Plan to just switch off from it all now and trust the club has it in hand. 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

He’s 32 in July FFS. It’s hardly as if he’s finished. A 36 year old Brian Graham had most of our defence running in circles three times over the last five weeks.

I never said he was finished, and never said I wanted him to stop (I literally said the opposite in the post you quoted). It was part of a wider point - to summarise, he's clearly going places in management, I don't think he sees himself as a regular if McMaster is playing well, in my opinion he can struggle out of possession a bit anyway, and has now had a couple of bad injuries which by the sounds of it have taken longer to heal than hoped. I think when you throw all that into the mix he'll be weighing up whether it's worth it. But if he wants to keep playing then great, but if not then I think we're in a much better position now than last year with McMaster and hopefully another signing.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 hour ago, She who dares gins said:

Plan to just switch off from it all now and trust the club has it in hand

I wish I could take that approach, instead i'll be hitting the refresh button every half hour all summer waiting for a giant pen to appear

Posted (edited)

Quite excited to see who we bring in this summer.

If we retain Frizzell, Fordyce, Hancock, Telfer, McMaster, McStravick, Todorov and Watson then I’d be pretty happy. 

We need a forward or two as well as a few defenders just to tighten things up.

Oh and a goalie! 

Edited by Diamond1924

I see Lyall is out of contract at Rangers, would be all over that if he doesn’t get a deal there.

Midfield options of McCabe, McMaster, Telfer, Lyall, Frizz and Gallagher would be very solid for a full season.

30 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Interestingly I see the “talent scout” at Consilium talking about how he’s part of the team at Airdrie on Twitter, and how we’re “just getting started” - which bodes well and sounds like McCabe et al are staying in place.

He also posted a picture of him and the club staff out at a karaoke bar with Jackie McNamara but has since deleted it. Can only imagine that McNamara’s maybe requested he took it down to downplay his involvement at the club

55 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Quite excited to see who we bring in this summer.

If we retain Frizzell, Fordyce, Hancock, Telfer, McMaster, McStravick, Todorov and Watson then I’d be pretty happy. 

We need a forward or two as well as a few defenders just to tighten things up.

Oh and a goalie! 

Murray Johnston supposedly returning.

Also heard Mochrie signing.

Heard rumours of Frizzel going. Hopefully not true.

22 minutes ago, AB1974 said:

Murray Johnston supposedly returning.

Also heard Mochrie signing.

Heard rumours of Frizzel going. Hopefully not true.

Be good signings, the fact frizz has started a coaching school with prunts at the stadium makes me think he’ll probably stay, I hope.

58 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Be good signings, the fact frizz has started a coaching school with prunts at the stadium makes me think he’ll probably stay, I hope.

Hope so too

13 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I remember that being announced and I thought at the time that access to those facilities for the coaching work could make good for the relatively lower wage we can pay him as compared to other clubs.

I'm pretty sure Cammy Ballantynes involved in one of the coaching academies as well, and I think Gal done something or other related to that also.