Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Got excited there thinking it was other Consilium client Ben Wilson who really would’ve been a class signing.

We need centre halves and Aidan Wilson is one. Kinda get Joe Gorman vibes which is the scary part. Hope he does well for us.

Aidan Wilson was on loan to us as a kid on 2017/18, and my God did he look miles out of his depth in the Championship at the time. It was one of the most disasterous loan signings I can ever remember us making.

He made his debut at right-back against Morton at Cappielow and got absolutely rinsed by Frankie Ross. It was a massacre that he didn't ever recover from. 

His second appearance also came against Morton 10 days later where he was booked and looked really shaky. Then he dropped out of the side for six weeks. When he returned he picked up two clumsy yellow cards from RB against Livingston, and wasn't seen again until the final day of the season against Dunfermline in a dead rubber. He made a howler inside the first five minutes, miscontrolling a pass that put Craig Barr in trouble, Barr brought down a Dunfermline player as he went in on goal and was sent off. And that was it for Aidan Wilson in a Sons shirt.

When he went to Forfar the following season I assumed it would be the start of his fall through the leagues. But fair play to him, he's a local boy (Helensburgh) so I always kept an eye on him to see where he ended up. And he's looked like he's made a good career for himself in Northern Ireland. I didn't realise until I looked him up there, but he's still very young for a central defender and should have his best years in front of him. I'll be really interested to know how he's developed.

Fwiw Liam Dick was part of the same defence that season and was also rubbish. And he's gone on to do well for Raith. Whilst our other January loan signing that also didn't work out was some Partick Thistle striker called Kevin Nisbet. No idea what happened to him.

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Aidan Wilson was on loan to us as a kid on 2017/18, and my God did he look miles out of his depth in the Championship at the time. It was one of the most disasterous loan signings I can ever remember us making.

He made his debut at right-back against Morton at Cappielow and got absolutely rinsed by Frankie Ross. It was a massacre that he didn't ever recover from. 

His second appearance also came against Morton 10 days later where he was booked and looked really shaky. Then he dropped out of the side for six weeks. When he returned he picked up two clumsy yellow cards from RB against Livingston, and wasn't seen again until the final day of the season against Dunfermline in a dead rubber. He made a howler inside the first five minutes, miscontrolling a pass that put Craig Barr in trouble, Barr brought down a Dunfermline player as he went in on goal and was sent off. And that was it for Aidan Wilson in a Sons shirt.

When he went to Forfar the following season I assumed it would be the start of his fall through the leagues. But fair play to him, he's a local boy (Helensburgh) so I always kept an eye on him to see where he ended up. And he's looked like he's made a good career for himself in Northern Ireland. I didn't realise until I looked him up there, but he's still very young for a central defender and should have his best years in front of him. I'll be really interested to know how he's developed.

Fwiw Liam Dick was part of the same defence that season and was also rubbish. And he's gone on to do well for Raith. Whilst our other January loan signing that also didn't work out was some Partick Thistle striker called Kevin Nisbet. No idea what happened to him.

Was actually going to pop into the Dumbarton thread to see how he got on as he had a brief spell there, sounds as if the loan from Rangers was a complete disaster, hoping he's drastically improved since 2017/2018.

I think he's played over 100 games in Northern Ireland so he's got some good experience and is only 25, with Fordyce signing for Raith it's big shoes to fill.

Our scout from consilium Andy Young described him as 'the best ball playing defender in NI' on twitter which sounds promising.

If Aidan Wilson turns out as good a signing as Adam Frizzell and Calum Gallagher were I'll be more than delighted.

Looking forward to visiting the rock again when the new season starts again.

3 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Was actually going to pop into the Dumbarton thread to see how he got on as he had a brief spell there, sounds as if the loan from Rangers was a complete disaster, hoping he's drastically improved since 2017/2018.

I think he's played over 100 games in Northern Ireland so he's got some good experience and is only 25, with Fordyce signing for Raith it's big shoes to fill.

Our scout from consilium Andy Young described him as 'the best ball playing defender in NI' on twitter which sounds promising.

If Aidan Wilson turns out as good a signing as Adam Frizzell and Calum Gallagher were I'll be more than delighted.

Looking forward to visiting the rock again when the new season starts again.

Your hit rate for signing ex Sons players is usually pretty decent. Sam Wardrop's sudden retirement and the Rico Quitongo situation are the only real blots on the copybook given the success of guys like Gallagher, Frizzell, Ballantyne, Easton, Aggy and, going a bit further back, Lister, Beany (and Bryan Prunty second time around...although you obviously had him first!)

17 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Of course, he's head of recruitment for Consilium and as Aidan's flesh peddler it's his job to big him up. I hope he's proven correct though.

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

The island in Fiji where Castaway was filmed.

Can we moan about this signing ...

On paper looks an ideal replacement for Fordyce,   experienced left sided centre half who is out of his teens,   Irish football where does it rate compared to Championship,  

Hopefully more to come,  noticed on a Hibs tweet Aiken is coming back,  hopefully the lad Armstrong from Spartans is still on the cards he is a good player so I hear..

Fraser

Thanks for the comment. Hopefully a reflection on the raw player.

Fingers crossed and perhaps eyes closed for a game or two. We need to trust Rhys' judgement here. 

Just now, diamondman said:

Fraser

Thanks for the comment. Hopefully a reflection on the raw player.

Fingers crossed and perhaps eyes closed for a game or two. We need to trust Rhys' judgement here. 

It's certainly all about the way Rhys get them to play as a team ,

Obviously no idea what he's like, but I like the profile of player. Our best signings in recent years have had a similar career path - start at a higher level, have to drop a few levels to get regular games and then in mid-twenties try and work their way back up the leagues with more experience. Frizzell, Gal, Ballantyne and others all fell into this bracket. Always much more confident when they've played a good number of senior games already.

28 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Obviously no idea what he's like, but I like the profile of player. Our best signings in recent years have had a similar career path - start at a higher level, have to drop a few levels to get regular games and then in mid-twenties try and work their way back up the leagues with more experience. Frizzell, Gal, Ballantyne and others all fell into this bracket. Always much more confident when they've played a good number of senior games already.

Yes, that's a good point.  Telfer, Easton and probably ATS would be in that category as well.

Decent enough experience, size and profile and, going by Ross’s Tweets, he’ll suit McCabeBall which is essential. Replacing Fordyce’s ability to play out from the back was always going to be difficult but if Wilson can go someway to doing that then he’ll be a crucial bit of business. I was at the cinema when the signing was announced. As I was when we signed McCabe, Easton McGregor and… eh… Jay Cantley. And who can argue with that distinguished record? Presumably convincing his pal David Fisher to sign now as well. 

This spreadsheet from SPFL mediawatch on X shows just how important it is that we get it right, a massive increase in prize money for the season just past and I believe there’s even more up for grabs this coming season. It’s been mentioned previously that we have a pay structure etc which is fair enough but that must evolve as we evolve as a club if we want to continue our upwards trajectory.

IMG_0424.png

1 hour ago, Diamond8 said:

This spreadsheet from SPFL mediawatch on X shows just how important it is that we get it right, a massive increase in prize money for the season just past and I believe there’s even more up for grabs this coming season. It’s been mentioned previously that we have a pay structure etc which is fair enough but that must evolve as we evolve as a club if we want to continue our upwards trajectory.

IMG_0424.png

This is the league we have been crying out to be in for years,  The money is decent, the football is real,  we must stay there,  I still get the impression of a 'safety first' mentality ,  

I believe we still have a very strict (limited) wage structure,  which is understandable to an extent,   last season we spunked wages on Cassidy, Gillespie, Fellows, Kavanagh, Spalding all young players probably on a low wage that contributed nothing, that's probably the guts of 1.5k combined a week,    Hopefully that will be put back into the increased budget and get our playmakers signed up Frizzell and Telfer are pivotal to our side are they replaceable they shouldn't need to be, given a competitive championship wages or increased security.

Airdrie aways seem to be slow in the close season, plenty going on behind the scenes of course,  Pre season starts in a fortnight,  12 signed already probably start with a squad of 20 with the possibility of increasing it by end of sept..

What is a competitive championship wage this season 800 a week..

45 minutes ago, Passionate said:

This is the league we have been crying out to be in for years,  The money is decent, the football is real,  we must stay there,  I still get the impression of a 'safety first' mentality ,

Concur.

46 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I believe we still have a very strict (limited) wage structure,  which is understandable to an extent,   last season we spunked wages on Cassidy, Gillespie, Fellows, Kavanagh, Spalding all young players probably on a low wage that contributed nothing, that's probably the guts of 1.5k combined a week,    Hopefully that will be put back into the increased budget and get our playmakers signed up Frizzell and Telfer are pivotal to our side are they replaceable they shouldn't need to be, given a competitive championship wages or increased security.

Again, don't disagree but with the current model of signing mostly young players to develop them, over a period of time,  there will always be more that don't make it than do. 

49 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Airdrie aways seem to be slow in the close season, plenty going on behind the scenes of course,  Pre season starts in a fortnight,  12 signed already probably start with a squad of 20 with the possibility of increasing it by end of sept..

12 signed but of that 12 we have Rowley, Gallagher, Dunlop, MacDonald & Reid who have all yet to prove they can be competitive championship players.

54 minutes ago, Passionate said:

What is a competitive championship wage this season 800 a week..

Not far away for Telfer, Frizzell & Ballantyne types methinks.

Shame to see Ballantyne leave. He had a pretty poor start to his time at Airdrie (three red cards in nine games!) but since the last quarter of that season he’s been very good since then. I wonder if he’s off to Partick Thistle? They need a right back with McMillan likely away and would be a step up. 

Another position to replace for us but we managed to sign a better right back on loan last season, albeit getting another Megwa is unlikely!

1 minute ago, AJ77 said:

Ballantyne away, huge blow.

Yip huge loss. Going to be hard to replace him. I’ll be pretty disappointed if he ends up at hamilton

5 hours ago, Passionate said:

Hopefully that will be put back into the increased budget and get our playmakers signed up Frizzell and Telfer are pivotal to our side are they replaceable they shouldn't need to be, given a competitive championship wages or increased security.

Increased budget obviously not enough for Ballantyne!

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

Shame to see Ballantyne leave. He had a pretty poor start to his time at Airdrie (three red cards in nine games!) but since the last quarter of that season he’s been very good since then. I wonder if he’s off to Partick Thistle? They need a right back with McMillan likely away and would be a step up. 

Another position to replace for us but we managed to sign a better right back on loan last season, albeit getting another Megwa is unlikely!

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

See my post a couple back regarding finances,  which is likely to be the cause of him not resigning,  remember the reason we made the money this year was due to having good players thus winning games  which leads to increased crowds etc..  

Vice Captain as well so would be one of the higher earners you would think,   that's us lost Fordyce, Ballantyne,  Gallagher and McGill with still no word on Rae, Telfer and Frizzell. .....

That certainly breaks up the back three from last season, and competition when a back four is needed, and should Ballantyne join another Championship club, it will improve them. 

He gave us many good performances a bit once they leave I declare them a non player.

It does put our unknown wage policy under debate again but that's the market we're trying to compete and hopefully stabilise in.