Group B: Dundee United, Partick Thistle, Falkirk, Peterhead, Spartans

41 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

Utd have been awful under different managers and with different huddies in the team.

Every time I see Middleton, he seems to be diving for a free kick. Does little else.

Watt is the vice-captain and presumably being held up as a role model by Goodwin.   Coincidence?

A few really top performers overall tonight, Graham gave the United backline a torrid time and his (and Williamson's) play for the goal was excellent. MacKenzie grew into the game and showed up well, as did Stanway. Bannigan was typically solid in midfield and Muirhead in defence. Got to credit Wasiri Williams because despite having a nervy first half he was much better in the second, and possibly is just taking time to gel with the players, probably worth remembering he's only played about 20 odd matches at professional level. 

United looked fairly decent for about a 15 minute spell, but were probably second best overall. Their goalkeeper put in a decent shift and Fotheringham on the wing was a real threat, and perhaps Sibbald in midfield was steady enough but not much apart from that, certainly none of the subs made any impact. I still can't see past them for the league, because they'll probably add players and sack Goodwin at some stage. 

Edited by JagsCG

Just watched the highlights of the winning goal. Great cross by Lawless but did Milne actually get his head to the ball?

First time I have seen our grey/pink away strip in action. Didn't really fancy it when I saw the first images but changed my mind after tonight.

Thought it made the Jsgs look sleek and quick. Very jazzy outfit!

13 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Are Falkirk fans really giving the "get it up you" for a last minute winner against statically the worst team in the SPLF?

Nae bother lads 😂

And yet here you all are creaming yourselves over beating a team by 1 goal that has also just been beaten by the worst team in the "SPLF" by 1 goal. At least they managed a clean sheet against UTD, shame on you. 

Nae bother lads 😂

3 minutes ago, Believe The Hype said:

And yet here you all are creaming yourselves over beating a team by 1 goal that has also just been beaten by the worst team in the "SPLF" by 1 goal. At least they managed a clean sheet against UTD, shame on you. 

Nae bother lads 😂

Shhhh, the wee lamb will get upset if you give a wee bit back after a ribbing, which is all that @Bairnardoand myself did.

Enjoyed that game last night as a neutral. I thought the first half as a contest was reflective of this time of the season, not great but not necessarily shite either. Lovely Thistle goal.

Second half was more like an in-season cup tie to me; Thistle still look like they have players who will take control and lead by example while I thought Utd looked like a bunch of guys who were waiting for someone else in their team to do that. Fotheringham looked at least like he'll cause problems in the Championship and on paper Moult and Watt should sword the division.

13 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Radio Scotland have their fingers on the pulse, repeatedly saying that Dundee United might struggle to qualify for the next round. 

if ive worked this out right they can still win the group but its the longest of long shots

Firstly United need to win both remaining games which takes them to 6 points and if they win well a good goal difference

Partick Thistle would need to lose to The Spartans and draw with Falkirk but lose the shoot out so finish on 6 points

Falkirk win the shoot out with Thistle but having lost to United would also lose a shoot out to Peterhead and finish on 6 points

The Spartans have beat Thistle in this set up but lose to Peterhead so finish on 6 points

Peterhead lose to United beat Spartans and win the shoot out with Falkirk so also end on 6 points

if any one of these matches goes another way thats it as far as i can see for United.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

if ive worked this out right they can still win the group but its the longest of long shots

Firstly United need to win both remaining games which takes them to 6 points and if they win well a good goal difference

Partick Thistle would need to lose to The Spartans and draw with Falkirk but lose the shoot out so finish on 6 points

Falkirk win the shoot out with Thistle but having lost to United would also lose a shoot out to Peterhead and finish on 6 points

The Spartans have beat Thistle in this set up but lose to Peterhead so finish on 6 points

Peterhead lose to United beat Spartans and win the shoot out with Falkirk so also end on 6 points

if any one of these matches goes another way thats it as far as i can see for United.

I thought this was one of those competitions where if points were equal at the end, the result between the two decided it ? In which case, in your scenarios Utd couldn’t qualify.

4 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I thought this was one of those competitions where if points were equal at the end, the result between the two decided it ? In which case, in your scenarios Utd couldn’t qualify.

League cup rules - 

If clubs are level on points at the end of the group stage, the criteria for separating them is 1) goal difference, 2) goals scored, 3) away goals scored, 4) matches won, 5) away matches won, 6) head-to-head record, 7) drawing of lots.

2 hours ago, bluetoonscotty said:

Anyone know if Dundee United will be streaming the Peterhead game?

Scotty travel down the 2 hour journey & see your team winning at Tannadice..... you just never know as they are under a lot of pressure?

3 hours ago, colliedug said:

Scotty travel down the 2 hour journey & see your team winning at Tannadice..... you just never know as they are under a lot of pressure?

Will be sitting in Charles de Gaulle airport unfortunately. Just hoped I’d get some pre-flight entertainment watchin us skelp Utd