US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

9 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I saw it put a lot better than I can put it earlier, so I'll just repeat it.

This won't convince anyone who was going to vote for Biden to vote for Trump. But it will cause millions of soft republicans, who were previously undecided about Trump because of his age and apparent health, to see this and think he's some kind of titan.

If there's an effect like that I don't think it will last, but we'll see.

18 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Unless you predict something is 100% or 0% going to happen then it's kinda impossible to be proven right or wrong.

I was just putting the info out there. Whether he's wrong a lot or not, he is probably better placed to be making predictions about how polls will play out into actual results than anyone here, including you or I.

Silver himself actually explains in his book how you can test probabilistic prediction models like this. What you do is you take a ton of the predictions and then see whether the percentages match. You can count up the number of days a weather forecaster predicts rain 10% of the time and see whether it really does rain on 10% of those days, and likewise for the 90% predictions and so forth.

"Having established Crooks's identity, police and agencies are investigating his motive.

"We do not currently have an identified motive," said Kevin Rojek, FBI Pittsburgh special agent in charge, at a briefing on Saturday night."

You wot, mate? Have you never heard of Donald Trump? Surely it would be more difficult to find a motive not to do it?

Edited by Alert Mongoose

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If think about the assassination of MPs in this country, Jo Cox and David Amess, it made little of mo difference to voting intentions.

Not sure the same would be true in the US.

No matter what party you support, both Jo Cox & David Amess were genuinely decent MPs. Couldn't say that about Kennedy, Reegan or Trump. Not that I wish Trump harm.

Just now, Sonam said:

No matter what party you support, both Jo Cox & David Amess were genuinely decent MPs. Couldn't say that about Kennedy, Reegan or Trump. Not that I wish Trump harm.

David Amess was not a good MP. 

4 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

David Amess was not a good MP. 

Disagree, but everyone has their own opinions. Didn't deserve to be murdered though.

Whether a nationalist or not, this happen in the U.K. People keep pointing to the USA and saying how messed up it is. After David Cameron & George Osbourne, Boris Johnson, Teresa May, Lizz Tuss & Kwasi Kwarteng crashing the economy & perhaps profiting at the same time. 

Things are bad here, also in Scotland too hence SNP collapse.

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

My grandfathers were members of a radical violent antifa organisation. It was called the British Army.

The last ex or serving president who was hit in an assassination attempt was Reagan, who was shot by a guy who thought it would impress Jodie Foster. That's a good example of why it's best to hold off on assuming motive.

I have vague recollections of the Reagan shooting. The joke at the time was the assassin made a mistake and shot Reagan in the head where it didn't matter. 

22 minutes ago, Sonam said:

What about Ford?

47 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I have vague recollections of the Reagan shooting. The joke at the time was the assassin made a mistake and shot Reagan in the head where it didn't matter. 

Secret Service were harder back then. No body armour, just boys in suits with uzis.

20240714_185413.thumb.jpg.45f39422687108ed456bc4c8f988e935.jpg20240714_185406.jpg.6d4058f530474a0a274fc05adf5aedea.jpg

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

My grandfathers were members of a radical violent antifa organisation. It was called the British Army.

Lol wut

As shown by our boys' proud radical stand (to one side) against the spread of fascism to Spain from 1936. 

The Army of the British Empire served the interests of that state and its ruling class. There was nothing radical about either: Britain's opposition to fascism was primarily on geopolitical grounds that would have been familiar to its early 18th century statesmen.

Which is why of course the British (and France) were actually cosying up to Mussolini - the original fascist dictator - as a potential check against Nazi Germany until 1935. And still harboured enough delusions about Mussolini being an honest broker that he was invited to the Munich Conference in 1938. 

I'm wondering if behind Trump's knee-jerk bravado and bombast as he was huckled away from the podium now lives a very fearful man.  Apart from the thought that most aggressive bullies are actually shitebags, he could become paranoid about future public appearances.  It will be interesting to see how the situation develops.

2 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Shirley most 'Muricans could hit a can of beans after 8 pints at only 150 yards?

The results of the “average American drive-by” argue otherwise.