US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

If Trump loses he’ll be dead before 2028.

He does not need to be dead - just in no fit state to President.

He is already there but hopefully it would then be far more obvious to everyone.

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Hopefully.

If he loses in 2024 at least some of the court cases against him will proceed and even with the ‘protection’ of SCOTUS I think he’ll be screwed.  It will have an impact on his physical and mental health.

15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He's backing Harris now.

I hope she's electable in that mad place.

Surely he'd have to, after all, she was his running mate.

I suppose they more or less have to go with Harris, or else it comes across that they selected a total incompetent to be VP. She does not appear to be popular, however. 

Little doubt that this has been a very damaging state of affairs, albeit that the damage would only have multiplied if Biden had continued to try and tough it out. I wouldn't be surprised to see him formally diagnosed as suffering from dementia or similar now that there is no need to pretend that he is mentally/physically fit to be President in 2029. They've managed to stage manage him the last four years but when he's out on his own, it's apparent that he simply doesn't possess the required capabilities. 

31 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Surely he'd have to, after all, she was his running mate.

A big plus for Harris is Obama the first coloured President and he and Michelle will back her full tilt.

The race will be close as Trump did pick up floating voters after the shooting, or should I have said Floaters?

6 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I don't think Trump's base would care. I wouldn't be that surprised to see a defeated Trump run again in 2028. Could be trickier to get through the primaries I suppose, but it's his party now.

As for Harris (assuming it is her) I agree with you that she can beat Trump. The reason Biden was likely to lose is that people weren't enthused by him, not that voters had turned to Trump. Harris would surely enthuse more women, African Americans, Asian Americans to get out and vote. Whether it's enough I don't know, but I wouldn't write her off.

Weirdly, throughout the past four years Harris has had lower approval figures among Black voters than Biden.

This is a big problem for the Democrats because their share among Black voters was relatively low last time. 

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Now with Biden out I wonder if Democrat adverts will show their candidate running, jumping and swimming while Trump is just an old guy in a golf cart.

Her campaign is going to be like a Bodyform advert. 

2 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

A big plus for Harris is Obama the first coloured President and he and Michelle will back her full tilt.

The race will be close as Trump did pick up floating voters after the shooting, or should I have said Floaters?

The above post was brought to you by the ghost of Bernard Manning.

12 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Apologies, you are quite correct.  Would he really pardon his son though?  Would that not present US politics in a bad light?  I thought Biden has previously stated he was keen to improve the optics of US politics?

:lol:

25 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Weirdly, throughout the past four years Harris has had lower approval figures among Black voters than Biden.

This is a big problem for the Democrats because their share among Black voters was relatively low last time.  

I don't know how much weight I put on these polls. Harris would've been (and probably still is) pretty unknown among huge swathes of voters. A woman of colour, front and centre, campaigning to be President and - barring a total car crash - her poll numbers will rise among lots of groups. 

Her campaign is going to be like a Bodyform advert.

Actually snorted a bit at this.

6 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

If Trump loses this now, will he have a legitimate claim to fight the decision in courts for months due to Biden withdrawing this late?

No, because Biden has never officially been the democratic nominee. The nominee only gets officially confirmed at the Democratic National Convention, which is next month.

3 minutes ago, Marten said:

No, because Biden has never officially been the democratic nominee. The nominee only gets officially confirmed at the Democratic National Convention, which is next month.

Good news, but we know he will still drag it through the courts if he can. Soreliest loser ever.

Just now, houston_bud said:

I don't know how much weight I put on these polls. Harris would've been (and probably still is) pretty unknown among huge swathes of voters. A woman of colour, front and centre, campaigning to be President and - barring a total car crash - her poll numbers will rise among lots of groups. 

I'm talking about favourability polling, not the hypothetical Presidential polling. Biden has consistently had higher favourability figures than Harris among black voters. Given that she's VP this is a good comparative measure, especially as it's those giving a favourable view minus those giving a negative view, so don't knows aren't included.

I think her poll numbers will rise too, but we'll see.

Screenshot 2024-07-22 at 11.33.35.png

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Hopefully.

Indeed, but there is such a thing as legacy and for all that Trump is an odious individual it would be wishful thinking to assume that when he books into Hell his influence will travel with him.

It's going to take a lot of time and effort to remove the collective vitriol and hatred which now infects the American body politic, and has seen millions lose their intellectual and moral bearings in the process. But a good start would be the Democrats holding the White House in November.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

4 minutes ago, Marten said:

Exactly. The Speaker was talking about challenging things in courts etc but since he's not been officially nominated yet (Biden was only officially the presumptive nominee) then ordinarily they'd have no case to answer. However, with the lunatics that are in the Supreme Court these days...