US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

4 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Grant Hanley would have fired his shot straight at Trump.

I’m still waiting on your thread… have any P&Bers attempted to assassinate a US Presidential candidate.

😛

3 hours ago, Cheese said:

A real sliding doors moment anyway.

True. I fkn hated Gwyneth Paltrow as well. 

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

There’s a channel 4 doc on the twin towers attack and the stupidity of the folk employed in Homeland Security is astonishing. The sequence of events as air traffic control tried to get hold of someone in charge at the air force was like something straight out of Dr Strangelove.

I've listened to those calls in full, they're all on YouTube. The ATC staff are efficient, communicate well and quickly and understand the situation very quickly. The military staff they talked to were halfwits.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

If there was ever any doubt about Trump winning

Why do people keep saying this? Trump's poll lead was tiny, despite the massive crisis in the Democrat camp.

surely this puts it to bed.

Why? Who's getting up this morning thinking "I wasn't going to vote for Trump because of all I know about him over the past 10 years, but now that someone's shot at him, I think I will"?

I remember people saying the election was over after Trump's "grab 'em by the pussy" comments, and the the EU referendum was over after Jo Cox was murdered. Those things don't appear to move votes much, if at all. 

5 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

The assault rifle aisle is in between the bakery and fresh fruit aisles at his local supermarket.

Silly boy. They’re in hardware, next to the vacuum bags and light bulbs.

5 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Questions must be asked how this young lad got his hands on a gun at all.

Father’s weapon, purchased several months ago. May well result in serious charges, although he might skate since the “child” in this case is an adult.

5 hours ago, mozam76 said:

How many shots did the fella manage to fire off? I find it unfathomable that he was able to hit his ear and then miss with every other one. It’s not as if the target moved any distance between being hit and the next shot. 

He’s either bought a rifle from the fairground and been incredibly lucky once, or the intent was never to kill. 

As other noted, there a obstructions all around that podium…teleprompter screens, poles, etc.

5 hours ago, SomersetBairn said:

Gutted. I (and a good few others) have got him in the Deadpool. I thought some nut-job might off him or Biden, so I put them both in as there may be a tit-for-tat effort to follow on from any initial shooting. 

5 hours ago, Michael W said:

The main worry is that we end up with a radicalised individual taking a shot at Biden, having watched his hero be the subject of an assassination attempt. A big risk in a society that has free availability of firearms. 

Hopefully this can be de-escalated. 

This is where it could get really dicey. Either way, I predict new gun control (finally), and the NRA being very disappointed after the election.

5 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

eh?

Looked like he narrowly missed with the first shot then started firing wildly in the hope of hitting something in the general area. 

4 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Strikes me as an inexperienced gunman. Surely if the plan was assassination you'd be taking a higher calibre gun than what is being reported as a .22

Fair assessment. As for caliber, it was an AR-15 in .223, which is vastly different than .22. Around .223 is the current standard military rifle caliber worldwide.

3 hours ago, Doc Holiday said:

If it had been a proper sniper Trump would be toast,

Depends on the items around the stage. If it was an organized attempt, it would have been at least 2 snipers, with the second firing immediately AFTER the first to take advantage of any obstructions like a teleprompter being destroyed by the first shot. A qualified U.S. Army “marksman” can hit a human torso-sized target at the range in question…with a properly sighted rifle. Two variables we don’t know yet.

5 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Maybe they aren't sending Trump their "best people"

Questions must be asked how this young lad got his hands on a gun at all.

It's America. 

Middle aisle in Aldi?

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Why do people keep saying this? Trump's poll lead was tiny, despite the massive crisis in the Democrat camp.

Nationally, sure, but in the swing states that matter Trump is well ahead, and even in solid Blue states like New York he's close enough that the Democrats will have to spend money and/or hold rallies there to make sure they don't lose. It's like our election just gone - Labour had what, a 6 point lead over the SNP? And won 30 odd more seats in Scotland. Even if Trump was behind Nationally, he'd have still been the most likely winner given Biden (or whoever) would win their safe seats by millions but could lose the likes of Arizona, Georgia, Pennsylvania etc by only a few thousand.

Just now, Salvo Montalbano said:

Nationally, sure, but in the swing states that matter Trump is well ahead, and even in solid Blue states like New York he's close enough that the Democrats will have to spend money and/or hold rallies there to make sure they don't lose. It's like our election just gone - Labour had what, a 6 point lead over the SNP? And won 30 odd more seats in Scotland. Even if Trump was behind Nationally, he'd have still been the most likely winner given Biden (or whoever) would win their safe seats by millions but could lose the likes of Arizona, Georgia, Pennsylvania etc by only a few thousand.

No he isn't. This is a thing people say without evidence. In none of the four Midwest states he needs to take from Biden is he ahead by more than 3, and he's still behind in one of them. In Pennsylvania, which you mention, Trump is up by 3. 

In New York the Democrats lead by about 10 points and there's is no chance it's in play.

Biden doesn't need Arizona or Georgia to win. If the Democrats keep the Midwest, they win. Trump has a slight lead in those states but this narrative that "Trump is well ahead" is completely untrue.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/2024/ 

11 minutes ago, GordonS said:

No he isn't. This is a thing people say without evidence. In none of the four Midwest states he needs to take from Biden is he ahead by more than 3, and he's still behind in one of them. In Pennsylvania, which you mention, Trump is up by 3. 

In New York the Democrats lead by about 10 points and there's is no chance it's in play.

Biden doesn't need Arizona or Georgia to win. If the Democrats keep the Midwest, they win. Trump has a slight lead in those states but this narrative that "Trump is well ahead" is completely untrue.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/2024/ 

Trump is ahead in Georgia, Arizona, Nevada, Pennsylvania... and the last poll I saw had Trump only down by 8 in New York and trending upwards. We'll see.

4 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Trump is ahead in Georgia, Arizona, Nevada, Pennsylvania... and the last poll I saw had Trump only down by 8 in New York and trending upwards. We'll see.

You said Trump is well ahead. I've shown you he's no more than 3 points ahead in Pennsylvania or any of the Midwest states. Would you say 3 points is "well ahead" in a poll?

Trump starts so far behind that Georgia, Arizona and Nevada aren't enough, he needs more than that. If the Democrats have a candidate that can be competitive in the rustbelt, they win again.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Nate Silver is wrong a lot. 

Unless you predict something is 100% or 0% going to happen then it's kinda impossible to be proven right or wrong.

I was just putting the info out there. Whether he's wrong a lot or not, he is probably better placed to be making predictions about how polls will play out into actual results than anyone here, including you or I.

33 minutes ago, TxRover said:

A qualified U.S. Army “marksman” can hit a human torso-sized target at the range in question…with a properly sighted rifle. 

Shirley most 'Muricans could hit a can of beans after 8 pints at only 150 yards?

For many Americans, the only thing that could have improved the scene of Trump getting shot in the lughole, standing up and giving a defiant salute is if he’d been waving the stars & stripes in the other hand while Journey’s ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ was being played at volume in the background.

Could be a Trump landslide. 😛

Just now, DiegoDiego said:

Unless you predict something is 100% or 0% going to happen then it's kinda impossible to be proven right or wrong.

I was just putting the info out there. Whether he's wrong a lot or not, he is probably better placed to be making predictions about how polls will play out into actual results than anyone here, including you or I.

Four months before an election, expressing the chances of a given outcome in percentage terms is spurious accuracy. That's just one of the issues I have with Silver's predictions. 

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Four months before an election, expressing the chances of a given outcome in percentage terms is spurious accuracy. That's just one of the issues I have with Silver's predictions. 

I mean, that's standard in forecasting, no?