Germany 2024

invergowrie arab

On 28/06/2023 at 19:44, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

The UEFA website claims to make it more sustainable and reduce the need for fan travel they've clustetered stadiums into geographic zones so all games in a group should be in a similar part of the country. Looking at the actual fixtures and this does not seem to be the case.

The schedule guarantees that a team would play two out of their three group games in one of the three clusters, and one in another cluster. And that one group is contained to two clusters. But agreed that especially with regard to the "North / North East" cluster that the distances are still a little longer but they did the best they could. 

4 hours ago, COM_Shepard said:

I booked my flights after the Norway game, and my plan over this weekend is to sit down and start looking/booking up accommodation.

I was considering booking two weeks in a hotel in Hanover. It looks like its on the main trainline to the South as well as trains to the east and west for any games there. Then once the draw is made, potentially book one night stays in the host cities depending on kick off times. Or just getting trains back after the game. 

Anyone been to Handover before or stayed there and recommend it or not? Also kind of tempted to do a bit of camping but that all depends on how much everything is.

I‘ve lived just outside of Hannover for umpteen years. Have a season ticket so in the city every 2nd weekend. Quite often stay over if it‘s a Friday or Saturday night game and go for a night out with a couple mates, also been to plenty of concerts.

Would be a good choice to base  yourself. As you mention (as did I, further up the thread), it’s one of the main crossings NESW on the German rail system. On top of the ICEs going everywhere where the games are on, NRW, Hamburg, Berlin and Leipzig are also doable by regional trains.

The exhibition grounds in Hannover hold some of the largest trade fairs/exhibitions in the world, so there is a fair bit of hotel infrastructure in place.

Plenty of decent bars & restaurants (I’m a bit old for clubbing, so can’t help there). Outwith the old city centre, the Maschsee next to the stadium is an enjoyable day out as are the Herrenhäuser Gärten. 

On 29/06/2023 at 16:32, ScottMc77 said:

OK, cheers.

I suppose it's just if there's a Scotland game on in that city it would be good to be based there, but I guess 2 or 3 of the other options are only a half hour train ride away, so all should be fine (we have places in Cologne, Gelsenkirchen and Bochum booked in that area).

When at the away game in Dortmund a few years back we got the train from Düsseldorf to and from the game and it was incredibly easy. Definitely wouldn’t recommend staying in Dortmund itself.

18 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

When at the away game in Dortmund a few years back we got the train from Düsseldorf to and from the game and it was incredibly easy. Definitely wouldn’t recommend staying in Dortmund itself.

This.

Dortmund is good for the Westfalen Stadium & the DFB Football Museum (outside the Hbf.).

There's been a few comments like this about certain cities in the last few pages.  Namely that places like Dortmund, Bochum, Duisburg, Essen, etc. the list goes on are "a dump" and you shouldn't stay there.  

Ultimately, it depends what you want out of a city when traveling or basing yourself there.  Indeed they do not have anywhere near what you'll find in a big world city like Berlin, or the interesting diverse sights of Hamburg or Munich, but they do have pubs and are well connected on the train line.  In the West the trains predominantly run through Duisburg and Essen too so they should be considered but only for that reason.  Exclusively on matchdays for Dortmund and Gelsenkirchen you can also consider Bochum (it has a cheap hotel bookable on accor).  It also depends if you are wanting to go to other matches in between seeing us play, or you need to be entertained in that base city where you are staying - and if that's the case then don't stay in one of these smaller places. 

Obviously, if you find somewhere adequate to stay in a big city then take it.  But to a certain type of person, cities like Cologne/Dusseldorf/Stuttgart (and maybe Frankfurt even) will find them as shit or as enjoyable as the places listed above.  It will definitely be nice to strike gold if your booking ends up being the place where we play.  I do agree that Monchengladbach is maybe a little too far out of the way to be a decent alternative.  Hannover is a good recommendation too.  

I write this only to help people as maybe someone might completely rule a city out when it could have been suitable for them. 

I like to look at it from the perspective of a tournament taking place in England and Danish or Serbian fans booking two weeks in Crewe or Peterborough because of the train links. 

Tbf, with a group of pals, beer available, cheap digs and under 2hr access to stadiums then you can’t really go wrong.

16 hours ago, German Jag said:

I‘ve lived just outside of Hannover for umpteen years. Have a season ticket so in the city every 2nd weekend. Quite often stay over if it‘s a Friday or Saturday night game and go for a night out with a couple mates, also been to plenty of concerts.

Would be a good choice to base  yourself. As you mention (as did I, further up the thread), it’s one of the main crossings NESW on the German rail system. On top of the ICEs going everywhere where the games are on, NRW, Hamburg, Berlin and Leipzig are also doable by regional trains.

The exhibition grounds in Hannover hold some of the largest trade fairs/exhibitions in the world, so there is a fair bit of hotel infrastructure in place.

Plenty of decent bars & restaurants (I’m a bit old for clubbing, so can’t help there). Outwith the old city centre, the Maschsee next to the stadium is an enjoyable day out as are the Herrenhäuser Gärten. 

I just booked the Ibis in Hannover. Cheers for the recommendation 👍

Never seen Scotland at a tournament before so this is the one. Taking the wifey with me and having a mix of Football, Pubs and restaurants. Booked up for 7nights in Cologne via booking.com (hope they don't cancel) Friday 14th to 21st.

Kilt, Sambas polished, passport, wallet and maybe a toothbrush 🥳

5 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

Just saw that Scotland are up to 30th in the World Rankings.

With 6 games left this year, if we can continue to climb them, would it help our seeding for the Euros draw?

As mentioned above it doesn't help at all for the Euros draw which is purely down to position and points earned in the Euro qualifiers but unless they change it the rankings will be used for the World Cup qualifiers draw in December 2024.

So we have 6 fixtures left this year, 2 friendlies in March (or playoff games if we don't finish top 2 in the group), possibly 1 or 2 warm up friendlies in early June if we qualify for the Euros, 3+ games at the Euros if we qualify and 6 Nations League A games (September-November 2024) to improve our ranking before the qualifier draw. There's some posts in the last few days in the A Reality Check thread about the rankings and who we'd be aiming to get above in them.

10 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Got a couple of rooms provisionally booked in Wuppertal. Less than an hour to four host cities.

No idea what the city is like, although it does have a monorail.

Not just any monorail, the Schwebebahn. I went to see Wuppertaler play a few years back just to go on it.

schwebebahn-wuppertal.jpg

Pre Germany, has anyone any tips on best way to take in Cyprus game in September and be back for England game and also the game in Seville. Limited research suggests flying to Larnaca and staying there and making own way to Nicosia. Any input from experienced tartan army members much appreciated as I plan my boys first trip away.

4 minutes ago, Jobby1 said:

Pre Germany, has anyone any tips on best way to take in Cyprus game in September and be back for England game and also the game in Seville. Limited research suggests flying to Larnaca and staying there and making own way to Nicosia. Any input from experienced tartan army members much appreciated as I plan my boys first trip away.

For the Cyprus game there's someone running buses from pretty much everywhere including Larnaca to the game so if you find any way to and from Cyprus you'll get to Nicosia for the game no bother. Can find him on facebook under Davy Buses or contact him via either the Tartan Army Group on facebook or the tamb.net forum. Here's his post.

image.png.73cf15b80b91bcea84823f4c5089f382.png

Seville we're going to Madrid and getting the train down. Others seem to be doing Malaga and heading up from there and I've seen a few booking Faro but public transport options from there don't seem the best so I'd give it a miss. The day of the game is a public holiday in Spain so try to factor that in as trains and buses might not run or be as regular.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

Got a couple of rooms provisionally booked in Wuppertal. Less than an hour to four host cities.

No idea what the city is like, although it does have a monorail.

I too have a couple of bookings across various dates in Wuppertal as it is half the price of the bigger cities places nearby on the popular dates around matchdays.  The big negative is that for any 21:00 kickoffs in the nearby cities the connectivity back to the city slows down a lot near midnight and into the early hours.  But in Scotland's case depending on opponents and other teams playing on that day, they'd probably assign us at least one 15:00 or 18:00 kickoff out of the first two group games, then the third group game is a coin flip whether it is 18:00 or 21:00 so fortune could be on our side.  The monorail looks awesome too.  

16 minutes ago, Juan Mata said:

I too have a couple of bookings across various dates in Wuppertal as it is half the price of the bigger cities places nearby on the popular dates around matchdays.  The big negative is that for any 21:00 kickoffs in the nearby cities the connectivity back to the city slows down a lot near midnight and into the early hours.  But in Scotland's case depending on opponents and other teams playing on that day, they'd probably assign us at least one 15:00 or 18:00 kickoff out of the first two group games, then the third group game is a coin flip whether it is 18:00 or 21:00 so fortune could be on our side.  The monorail looks awesome too.  

Not ideal, although hopefully it would only affect one or two days. Could look at getting digs in the host city for a night or shelling €100 on a taxi for a one off.

23 hours ago, Jobby1 said:

Edinburgh-Gatwick-Larnaca on the 5th then Larnaca-Venice on the 9th, then fly from Venice to Edinburgh the following day is what we’re doing. We’ve accommodation booked in Larnaca and will travel to Nicosia on match day.