Germany 2024

invergowrie arab

I'm doing the same that I did for the world cup in 2006. Base myself in a decent size town that is on the rail network but doesn't have a stadium being used for the finals and just use the train network if I can get a hotel for the night of the game where the games are at then fine if not just stay up drinking and jump on the first train back to wherever I'm based 

57 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

I'm doing the same that I did for the world cup in 2006. Base myself in a decent size town that is on the rail network but doesn't have a stadium being used for the finals and just use the train network if I can get a hotel for the night of the game where the games are at then fine if not just stay up drinking and jump on the first train back to wherever I'm based 

Same here most likely. Essen or Duisburg are great examples should something not appear in Cologne or Dusseldorf. Think this is the way to go. 

I’m booked. Flights and hotels sorted with free cancellation. My mate says he knows someone that had their room cancelled last minute by booking. Com / hotel when in Istanbul for ucl final. I’ve used free cancellation on booking. Com for years and never hear of this happening. Anyone got any experience of this?

13 minutes ago, Gdog85 said:

I’m booked. Flights and hotels sorted with free cancellation. My mate says he knows someone that had their room cancelled last minute by booking. Com / hotel when in Istanbul for ucl final. I’ve used free cancellation on booking. Com for years and never hear of this happening. Anyone got any experience of this?

Know a couple of folk that have had accommodation cancelled as a result of the host realising there’s an event on and there’s more money to be made. Think that’s mostly been through Airbnb though. 

22 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Fuckit, I've gone for the hospitality deal. :1eye I'm a zero pointer and doubt I have much chance of getting tickets any other way. Germany is about the perfect country for a summer football tournament and I've no intention of going to the World Cup in North America which would likely cost a lot more, as would have Qatar. Just means I'll be sticking with my 2012 plate rust bucket of a car until it's ready for the wreckers yard. :lol:

P.S. Flights and accommodation sorted for Berlin from the first group games to the Quarter Finals, accommodation fully refundable if the games are too far away.  

Is there such a thing as kids hospitality?

If I spend £4k on hospitality tickets and don’t take the boy, my name will be mud. I can’t see the wife going for me spending £4k on 3 games of football and abandoning the rest of the family so it’s probably a moot point anyway, but I’d still be interested to know. One game is a mere €1,250 + VAT.

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Is there such a thing as kids hospitality?

If I spend £4k on hospitality tickets and don’t take the boy, my name will be mud. I can’t see the wife going for me spending £4k on 3 games of football and abandoning the rest of the family so it’s probably a moot point anyway, but I’d still be interested to know. One game is a mere €1,250 + VAT.

Can't find anything, there's a form for asking questions here: https://www.2024-hospitality.com/en/global/support/contact

And a couple of emails to try if you don't get a response.

image.thumb.png.0d0f5fe4e5fc4305a574915a68c36021.png

24 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Know a couple of folk that have had accommodation cancelled as a result of the host realising there’s an event on and there’s more money to be made. Think that’s mostly been through Airbnb though. 

Ye I have had issues with air b n b also but never booking.com. It would defeat the whole purpose of free cancellation I think. That’s why you pay a bit more for that service. I am tempted to stick with free cancellation so I have flexibility 

On 23/06/2023 at 12:14, welshbairn said:

Fuckit, I've gone for the hospitality deal. :1eye I'm a zero pointer and doubt I have much chance of getting tickets any other way. Germany is about the perfect country for a summer football tournament and I've no intention of going to the World Cup in North America which would likely cost a lot more, as would have Qatar. Just means I'll be sticking with my 2012 plate rust bucket of a car until it's ready for the wreckers yard. :lol:

P.S. Flights and accommodation sorted for Berlin from the first group games to the Quarter Finals, accommodation fully refundable if the games are too far away.  

Aye me and my mates have done the same. 
f**k it, we went to every competitive away game between 2000-2010 (and a good few friendlies besides) and witnessed some abject shite. We stopped going after the 4-6-0 debacle in Prague. That was the final straw. 
We’ve earned this. France 98, which I thought would be my first of many tournaments, is now a sim and distant memory. 

3 hours ago, Gdog85 said:

It's pretty common, especially if you book well in advance. I had quite a few cancel on me for the rugby world cup too and a few for the euro. The key is to just have lots and lots of free cancellation bookings everywhere, for multiple dates and then cancel them once the group stage draw has been done and you finalise your trip

3 hours ago, vince sinclair said:

I booked direct with hotel to hopefully avoid any last min cancellations  

I doubt it makes any difference. I usually try to book direct but if you need to cancel yourself it's sometimes simpler through Booking.com.

Edited by welshbairn

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/other-football/gallery/10-euro-2024-form-teams-27195702.amp

According to Football Scotland we are, if form is extended back 10 games, the form team of Europe, ahead of France, League B England, Holland, Belgium, etc.

Leaving our form as: WWWWDWWWLW - only counting competitive fixtures. The Draw was Ukraine (A) and defeat was Ireland (A). I'm guessing the French defeat alluded to was the WC Final, can't seem to remember them losing any others.

Regardless, wee Scotland is suddenly the big boy of Europe.

Edited by ClydeTon

On 23/06/2023 at 14:27, Pie Of The Month said:

And he still managed to f**k it up. The team assigned as A2, B2 etc aren't necessarily the pot 2 side.

Is this actually true? Woukd seem a bit bizarre if so

37 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Is this actually true? Woukd seem a bit bizarre if so

Yes it's true, it's randomly assigned so it's not a case of every group having the same set of fixtures where the 1st seeded side play the 2nd seeded side in the 1st game and so on.

If you look at the pot 2 sides from euro 2020 this is the positions they were allocated in their groups.

France - F3
Poland - E3
Switzerland - A4
Croatia - D2
Netherlands - C1
Russia - B4

1 minute ago, Elgin Macca said:

Anyone else got the fear with all this 'booking Germany' early talk like we have qualified?....... Nope?....Just me? haha

I'm more getting the fear with the "we're going to win the Euros" talk (although I am guilty of it)

We might jinx ourselves and lose in the final now.

Edited by ClydeTon

On 23/06/2023 at 20:02, doulikefish said:

On 23/06/2023 at 21:04, Juan Mata said:

Same here most likely. Essen or Duisburg are great examples should something not appear in Cologne or Dusseldorf. Think this is the way to go. 

Had thought about this today and decided to go for it too after reading these, cheers. Three nights in hotel next to Essen station was about GBP 250 total (sleeping two) so not too bad. Paid upfront after the comments about cancellations!

10 mins to Gelsenkirchen

25 mins to Dortmund

30 mins to Dusseldorf

60 mins to Koln

Four possible games those three days around there so hopefully get tickets for at least one (not too fussed if Scotland or not)

On 22/06/2023 at 16:47, ClydeTon said:

Jumping onto this, https://www.chronotrains.com/en is a handy site for anyone planning on staying in cities without a host stadium, but still with good rail links. Darker Red = Quicker, as the key shows.

For example, here's KasselScreenshot_20230622_154415.thumb.jpg.c5dd96159da1f3b7cf8bdaceb380985a.jpg

Works for most of Europe, for anyone planning on going a wee adventure after.

Don‘t forget that the times mentioned are based on traveling with the ICE.

Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe is central and on the north-south ICE line. Is also like basing yourself in Pitlochry.

A better suggestion would be Hannover. 2 stops further north.

1) You‘re in a decent sized city with a football culture.

2) As well as being on the north/south ICE line you‘re also on the east/west line. In other words, one stop to Hamburg, 1/2 stops to Berlin, IC direct to Leipzig, ICE to NRW plus direct ICE connections to Frankfurt/Stuttgart & Münich.

And no, I don‘t work for the Hannover tourist board.

3 minutes ago, German Jag said:

Don‘t forget that the times mentioned are based on traveling with the ICE.

Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe is central and on the north-south ICE line. Is also like basing yourself in Pitlochry.

A better suggestion would be Hannover. 2 stops further north.

1) You‘re in a decent sized city with a football culture.

2) As well as being on the north/south ICE line you‘re also on the east/west line. In other words, one stop to Hamburg, 1/2 stops to Berlin, IC direct to Leipzig, ICE to NRW plus direct ICE connections to Frankfurt/Stuttgart & Münich.

And no, I don‘t work for the Hannover tourist board.

I've been looking at Hannover myself. Seems like one of the better options. Either that or Essen or something.

I just stuck Kassel-W for the central location, just to emphasise the site's purpose.