Titanic II

6 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Someone could've put a bit more effort into naming the big red jelly fish. The terrible claw crab was a highlight.

11 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Nobody is suggesting that news stories involving people from places like Thailand or Chile get zero media attention.

But rather they would get comparatively less than an identical story in a rich western country (even a far away one like New Zealand).

The excellent sitcom Drop the Dead Donkey was originally going to be called Dead Belgians Don't Count.

11 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Nobody is suggesting that news stories involving people from places like Thailand or Chile get zero media attention.

But rather they would get comparatively less than an identical story in a rich western country (even a far away one like New Zealand).

By far the most serious terrorist attack of the year was in Peshawar Pakistan killing 85 people in a suicide bombing. How many people have heard of it?

What about the Christchurch shooting from 4 years ago that killed 51 people?

People are clearly not comfortable with these obvious disparities being pointed out which is why it's important to do so. Even if you disagree with it at least you have started thinking about it which is the first step.

There is abundant academic literature on the phenomenon. Only way it will get better is to keep calling it out.

A bomb went off killing 85 people in a country where sectarian bombings regularly happen, and it actually had considerable media coverage in the UK when it happened 10 years ago. A difference in New Zealand is that terrorist attacks are very rare, and the murderer live streamed himself shooting 51 people one by one on Facebook. Of course the fact than New Zealand has a more similar culture to ours makes a higher impact and makes it more memorable, I doubt many Pakistanis recall the Omagh bombing.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

A bomb went off killing 85 people in a country where sectarian bombings regularly happen, and it actually had considerable media coverage in the UK when it happened 10 years ago. A difference in New Zealand is that terrorist attacks are very rare, and the murderer live streamed himself shooting 51 people one by one on Facebook. Of course the fact than New Zealand has a more similar culture to ours makes a higher impact and makes it more memorable, I doubt many Pakistanis recall the Omagh bombing.

The ones that live there probably do.

46 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

10 years ago? It happened in January. And it wasn't a sectarian attack, it was a Taliban attack aimed at police and counter terrorism officers - 90% of the casualties were police officers.

That would be a massive news story were it in a rich, white country with a similar culture. It wasn't, so it isn't. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be, these are still human beings after all.

And you're right, Pakistanis won't know about the Omagh bombing - I expect they have had worse attacks in their country every year since then. At the time, many Pakistanis were illiterate and many of those who could read would have limited access to international news. Why would they know about? Not sure how relevant it is either.

They will all know plenty about 9/11, 7/7, Madrid bombings etc as these sort of attacks are usually followed by a massive upsurge in violence in their country or neighbouring countries.

Tl;Dr our news is disproportionately skewed towards people like us - (relatively) rich white people. The whole media industry used to be like this too but is gradually getting a bit more diverse. News should be too, be part of the change you want to see in the world and call it out when certain stories get disproportionate coverage based on the newsworthiness of their victims.

7 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

10 years ago? It happened in January. And it wasn't a sectarian attack, it was a Taliban attack aimed at police and counter terrorism officers - 90% of the casualties were police officers.

That would be a massive news story were it in a rich, white country with a similar culture. It wasn't, so it isn't. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be, these are still human beings after all.

It was the Taliban in Peshawar 2013 too, definitely sectarian and oddly also with 85 victims. The January 23 attack headlined every news channel I watched over here, the fact I was mistaken about which particular bombing you were referring to kind of proves my point.

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

And you're right, Pakistanis won't know about the Omagh bombing - I expect they have had worse attacks in their country every year since then. At the time, many Pakistanis were illiterate and many of those who could read would have limited access to international news. Why would they know about? Not sure how relevant it is either.

They will all know plenty about 9/11, 7/7, Madrid bombings etc as these sort of attacks are usually followed by a massive upsurge in violence in their country or neighbouring countries.

Tl;Dr our news is disproportionately skewed towards people like us - (relatively) rich white people. The whole media industry used to be like this too but is gradually getting a bit more diverse. News should be too, be part of the change you want to see in the world and call it out when certain stories get disproportionate coverage based on the newsworthiness of their victims.

Looking forward to the days when The News lasts for five hours to make sure it covers everything that happens in every part of the world.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

It was the Taliban in Peshawar 2013 too, definitely sectarian and oddly also with 85 victims. The January 23 attack headlined every news channel I watched over here, the fact I was mistaken about which particular bombing you were referring to kind of proves my point.

Well of course it was the headliner, it was by far the deadliest terrorist attack of the year. Did it last one day on the news? Was it getting regular headlines / discussed for days / a 30 page topic on p&b?

It was none of these things, you couldn't even remember it even when I told you where it took place, how many died and that it was by far the deadliest terrorist attack of the year. It doesn't matter to most people here. They can't relate to the victims. We can change that. Just keep calling out this media inadequacy.

Also the fact it happens a lot should make it more newsworthy not less? Not exactly ideal for one country to be incredibly violent with lots of people being killed is it? Maybe with a bit more attention from the world things might get better.

You actually mentioned in your earlier post it's due to culture and it is. This bias applies to almost every news story, the only difference is the degree to which it applies.

America is also a very violent scenario, if 80 of their cops died in a bombing you'd be hearing about it for decades. In Pakistan it might have got one day of coverage.

12 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Looking forward to the days when The News lasts for five hours to make sure it covers everything that happens in every part of the world.

It doesn't have to, it should focus on stories with the highest human impact.

Massive terrorist attack - yes very much so.

A few thrill seeking diving extremists dying in a sub? Far less so.

54 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Can I just take a moment to thank our creator for making these lads tiny and living 1000m down.

image.png.609f810884eeb61e86b9ab60c87269c2.png

Magnificent!

Only slightly tarnished by the misspelling of metres. I was going to point the finger at the yanks, then realised they would have measured it in yards. Then I came across the black swallower, which isn't even black. 

Overthinking things as usual.