SFA South Region Challenge Cup 2023-2024

Just to be clear guys I'm in no way complaining I just think it's the lowest priority cup out there and when your trying to have a successful league campaign then it kind of gets in the way. Ask Drumchapel last season as they missed out on promotion and had to play their final game before everyone else because of the final.

6 minutes ago, Cairn Cheerleader said:

Just to be clear guys I'm in no way complaining I just think it's the lowest priority cup out there and when your trying to have a successful league campaign then it kind of gets in the way. Ask Drumchapel last season as they missed out on promotion and had to play their final game before everyone else because of the final.

This is obviously one persons viewpoint, 'lowest priority', I know for a fact you don't speak for the management or coaching staff.
Your management and coaching staff state that it was a brilliant cup to be a part of last season knowing its the hardest to win.  If your management/coaching staff had a choice of one less cup that they could avoid then it would be the Scottish junior cup and that's not slating it, just something they would have preferred to do without to concentrate on the league more.

Drumchapel, didn't fail to get promotion to the Premier division because they played in the final, they just weren't good enough at the end of the season and the 3 teams were, so cannot take anything away from the other 3 teams, they wanted it more.

8 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

This is obviously one persons viewpoint, 'lowest priority', I know for a fact you don't speak for the management or coaching staff.
Your management and coaching staff state that it was a brilliant cup to be a part of last season knowing its the hardest to win.  If your management/coaching staff had a choice of one less cup that they could avoid then it would be the Scottish junior cup and that's not slating it, just something they would have preferred to do without to concentrate on the league more.

Drumchapel, didn't fail to get promotion to the Premier division because they played in the final, they just weren't good enough at the end of the season and the 3 teams were, so cannot take anything away from the other 3 teams, they wanted it more.

I believe you're talking rubbish my friend. We rested about 8 players at the weekend because it's the lowest priority. I can assure you the junior cup is our highest priority cup along with staying in the prem.

36 minutes ago, glensmad said:

There is only one cup competition which is optional, i.e. the Scottish Junior Cup.

It's not optional for SJFA members.

It's mandatory.

It's optional for clubs not in the SJFA to enter. Which would then disqualify them from the Demolition Cup.

Which I suppose makes the Demolition Cup optional.

3 hours ago, Cairn Cheerleader said:

Opposite for Whitburn............drap the Junior Cup and prioritise going up thru the EoSFL league system. 

3 hours ago, Cairn Cheerleader said:

tbh I think winning 2 out of their last 12 games was the main reason for Drumchapel missing out on promotion by 4 points...

2 hours ago, Casper Wilson said:

It's not optional for SJFA members.

It's mandatory.

It's optional for clubs not in the SJFA to enter. Which would then disqualify them from the Demolition Cup.

Which I suppose makes the Demolition Cup optional.

I'm not certain that is correct, to be honest, but I'm willing to be proved wrong. Membership of the SJFA is most certainly optional for WoSFL clubs.

The Strathclyde Cup is not optional, it is mandatory for any club who declares on their Annual Return that they are not members of the Scottish FA or the SJFA. These declarations are also checked between the relevant administrations to make sure clubs are entering the competitions that they should be in.

A club cannot retain membership of the SJFA and choose to play in the Strathclyde Cup in preference to the Scottish Junior Cup.

Edited by glensmad

SJFA Constitution and Rules 2023-24, Cup Competition Rule 2 :-

"The competition for the Cup shall be annual, and shall be open to all member clubs of the Association and all tier 6 teams and below on payment of entry fee, subject to the approval of the Committee. All matches shall be played under the laws of the Association game."

I don't see anywhere that says playing in the Scottish Junior Cup is mandatory for SJFA members. SJFA members cannot choose to play in the Strathclyde Cup in preference to the Scottish Junior Cup. However, I wouldn't see any reason why a club would choose to be a Member of the SJFA and then not play in the Scottish Junior Cup.

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

I'm not certain that is correct, to be honest, but I'm willing to be proved wrong. Membership of the SJFA is most certainly optional for WoSFL clubs.

The Strathclyde Cup is not optional, it is mandatory for any club who declares on their Annual Return that they are not members of the Scottish FA or the SJFA. These declarations are also checked between the relevant administrations to make sure clubs are entering the competitions that they should be in.

A club cannot retain membership of the SJFA and choose to play in the Strathclyde Cup in preference to the Scottish Junior Cup.

Explain Finnart and Rossvale to me then.

Not members of the SJFA

Not in the mandatory Strathclyde Cup.

7 hours ago, Casper Wilson said:

Explain Finnart and Rossvale to me then.

Not members of the SJFA

Not in the mandatory Strathclyde Cup.

Rossvale and Finnart are both in the Scottish Junior Cup.

Finnart certainly had applied for SJFA membership prior to the AGM as I have the AGM paperwork that lists the new member applications. Rossvale didn't show on that list, but may have applied after the paperwork was issued. I wasn't at the SJFA AGM as I was on holiday, however I assume that both clubs are indeed now SJFA members.

Edited by glensmad

We're going way off at a tangent here anyway. The point was raised by Cairn Cheerleader that clubs should be allowed to opt out of the South Challenge Cup and instead enter the Strathclyde Cup. The point I'm making is that the Strathclyde Cup is a WoSFL competition, whereas the South Challenge Cup is a competition also involving Lowland League, EoSFL and SoSFL teams, so the suggestion is impractical.

13 minutes ago, glensmad said:

We're going way off at a tangent here anyway. The point was raised by Cairn Cheerleader that clubs should be allowed to opt out of the South Challenge Cup and instead enter the Strathclyde Cup. The point I'm making is that the Strathclyde Cup is a WoSFL competition, whereas the South Challenge Cup is a competition also involving Lowland League, EoSFL and SoSFL teams, so the suggestion is impractical.

The point you made was that the Junior Cup was optional.

The point I made was that it wasn't for SJFA members.

Kello Rovers opted out of the Junior Cup a couple of seasons back, but they didn't get into the Demolition Cup.

I believe they were fined for opting out and suspended from the following seasons cup.

Edited by Casper Wilson

8 minutes ago, Casper Wilson said:

Kello Rovers opted out of the Junior Cup a couple of seasons back, but they didn't get into the Demolition Cup.

They were in the Junior Cup though. Drawn away to Shotts Bon Accord in the 2nd round and then scratched from the competition.

If they hadn't been in the Junior Cup draw that season they presumably would have been included in that year's Strathclyde Cup. Just like last season when serving the suspension from the Junior Cup.