Women's World Cup 2023

Swarley

1 hour ago, Crazy Days said:

Absolute pish talk in the media about getting them made Dames for their efforts - at the end of the day they were losers. Nothing was said about the Women's Netball team who were beaten finalists just a few weeks ago.

I find honours for sportsmen and women winning things to be a bit cheap tbh. "Services to sport" etc is often the reason given but that can't be measured in the immediate aftermath. Should be reserved for after they retire, if at all.

But some perspective is needed for this women's team. They weren't plucky underdogs who dug deep and came oh so close to a miracle. They were one of the pre-tournament favourites, have one of the best (artificially) funded domestic leagues, are ranked 4th in the world, and didn't have to play a side ranked higher than them to win the World Cup.

If anything they've failed to deliver. What, exactly, would the honour be for?

Isn't that all goalkeepers though?

Let's face it, fans go to see goals and goals bring pleasure to tens of thousands, if not millions of people. But these spoilsports go out of their way to stop goals, to prevent pleasure, to kill joy. Wankers. Worse than refs with their "look at me" antics, just because they were last to get picked in playground kickabouts.

6 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

The rule of thumb appears to be whenever the female record is equal to or greater than the male equivalent.

IMO it undermines what they are trying to build - that being the growth of the women's game as a credible code independent of the mens' game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66567155

Exhibit A is this article here. Why not say best female goalkeeper? 

RE: The decision by Nike not to sell replica England GK shirts which was getting some traction before the tournament.

I don't have figures to hand but i'd imagine GK jersey sales are a bit niché even in the men's game, so a women's GK jersey would be an incredibly low seller.

On top of that, the jersey Earps wore in the final is the change kit. How many England Women Away GK kits do people expect would be bought?!

Edited by Todd_is_God

Incredible scenes in Spain. The Spanish FA call a press conference and the briefing notes to the media say that Rubiales is resigning and has called the press conference to apologise, but then he rocks up, refuses to resign over a "peck" and says that it was consensual anyway.

6 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Incredible scenes in Spain. The Spanish FA call a press conference and the briefing notes to the media say that Rubiales is resigning and has called the press conference to apologise, but then he rocks up, refuses to resign over a "peck" and says that it was consensual anyway.

https://twitter.com/rugby_ap/status/1465629573769482245?t=ZWwgMHIRgOqqcKerUrkCtw&s=09

2 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

81 Spanish female players have said they'll not play for the national team until Rubiales resigns. 

It's such a shame that their win has been overshadowed by this.

Exactly. Their greatest achievement to date and completely overshadowed by this cnut.

5 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

It hasn't though, has it? Unless I'm being whooshed.  He will be largely forgotten about in a few weeks/months whereas they'll be World Cup winners forever.

It has at the moment, but let's see over the next few months. 

I got a post tournament survey from FIFA. Usual crap about what you liked or disliked about the tournament, what sponsors you recognised etc etc. There was even a question about which 2027 bid you would prefer to see. If they give me the standard bribe I'll happily vote. 

8 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

81 Spanish female players have said they'll not play for the national team until Rubiales resigns. 

It's such a shame that their win has been overshadowed by this.

The man's behaviour was totally unacceptable, and FWIW I actually think that his cock-clutching gesture at the final whistle was worse than the the subsequent kissing and back-slapping of Hermosa, but what should have been a thorough investigation with due process has turned into a predictable media witch-hunt with a pile-on by the players, never mind the involvement of the Spanish Government.

As for the win being overshadowed, there are certain elements of the English media who have had difficulty accepting the defeat who are now adopting a weird Trumpian morality in all of it.

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Spanish FA opening legal action against Hermoso. 

If ever that “don’t back doon, double doon” meme was apt, it’s now.   Jesus chest, we think our mob are bad.   Even our shower of shite are better than the Spanish shower of shite.