Betting on Championship

15 minutes ago, TxRover said:

A bet is a legal contract, so they must pay as long as you haven’t breached any of the terms of the agreement…the often voluminous terms. They refuse and you can take them to court.

They don't have to pay out in full if it exceeds a certain amount. Max payout won't be any more than a couple million.

Edited by Rob1885

8 minutes ago, Raith_Rasta said:

Folk betting on dunfermline EW are high unless they get a good few signings in. Theve  got the same defence as league 1. But can pull a few good ones with the Nisbet money 

Oh no, what a shame having the same defence as last year. 

27 minutes ago, Raith_Rasta said:

Folk betting on dunfermline EW are high unless they get a good few signings in. Theve  got the same defence as league 1. But can pull a few good ones with the Nisbet money 

The defence is the one part of the team none of us are concerned about. 

Whilst I think many are overestimating their predictions for us, the defence were the strongest part of our team last season by a considerable margin.

Looking at our squad now and saying the defence isn’t good enough is just a baseless stab in the dark.

36 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

They don't have to pay out in full if it exceeds a certain amount. Max payout won't be any more than a couple million.

I expect that’s in the terms and conditions you agree to to make a bet.

20 minutes ago, Andriy_Parmolenko said:

The defence is the one part of the team none of us are concerned about. 

Whilst I think many are overestimating their predictions for us, the defence were the strongest part of our team last season by a considerable margin.

Looking at our squad now and saying the defence isn’t good enough is just a baseless stab in the dark.

Am no taking away the win o the league but it’s a very hard championship with the same defence. Memhet looks different not pulled off a world class two saves against St P. Uz the Nisbett money al change ma mind. But for now it bottom 4 neebs 

30 minutes ago, Raith_Rasta said:

Am no taking away the win o the league but it’s a very hard championship with the same defence. Memhet looks different not pulled off a world class two saves against St P. Uz the Nisbett money al change ma mind. But for now it bottom 4 neebs 

My point had nothing to do with your prediction that we wouldn’t be as high as folk were suggesting. In fact, I outright agreed we were being overestimated so far.

My issue is that anyone looking at our team that says the defence is the weakness is flat out wrong. Midfield and Attack are far more important and necessary areas to strengthen, regardless of where anyone predicts at this early stage.

23 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Given that we absolutely walked this division the last time we were down here I doubt that we would’ve struggled this time around.

Absolutely walked = pipped a part time team to the title with just one game to go.

21 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

IMG_4680.png

Had £10 on QP to win the league last season at 50/1  - unsurprisingly such generous odds are not being repeated. 
Thinking of going for a Scottish Cup (150/1) &  League Cup (200/1) double. My £10 would net me £300k if my maths is right.

if you are an Airdrie fan your £10 would get you half a million.

Can't see the flaw  myself.

18 hours ago, TxRover said:

A bet is a legal contract, so they must pay as long as you haven’t breached any of the terms of the agreement…the often voluminous terms. They refuse and you can take them to court.

Don't think that's true in the UK. Been many a case where bookies have refused to pay out for various nefarious reasons - "suspected foul play", "bet taken in error", "dubiety over handwriting" have all been used in recent memory. Things like "oh, does that say 500/1? Sorry, the odds at that time were only 5/1 but as a goodwill gesture we'll pay out at the lower price and give you a free £50 bet (minimum odds apply, has to be made on a Wednesday in-person at our only shop which is conveniently located on Neptune)" that sort of thing. Some bookies had a reputation for taking any bet and paying out on it like "Fearless" Freddie Williams but there's a reason you don't find a poor bookie.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Don't think that's true in the UK. Been many a case where bookies have refused to pay out for various nefarious reasons - "suspected foul play", "bet taken in error", "dubiety over handwriting" have all been used in recent memory. Things like "oh, does that say 500/1? Sorry, the odds at that time were only 5/1 but as a goodwill gesture we'll pay out at the lower price and give you a free £50 bet (minimum odds apply, has to be made on a Wednesday in-person at our only shop which is conveniently located on Neptune)" that sort of thing. Some bookies had a reputation for taking any bet and paying out on it like "Fearless" Freddie Williams but there's a reason you don't find a poor bookie.

I googled it after you said that, and found the Gambling Act of 2005. Seems it’s “true”, as said…but if it’s a big bet, there’s a lot to be careful about in the terms. Apparently in effect after 2007.

1 hour ago, Arachnophile said:

Had £10 on QP to win the league last season at 50/1  - unsurprisingly such generous odds are not being repeated. 
Thinking of going for a Scottish Cup (150/1) &  League Cup (200/1) double. My £10 would net me £300k if my maths is right.

if you are an Airdrie fan your £10 would get you half a million.

Can't see the flaw  myself.

Seems unfair if Queens Park win the double your winnings are more if you’re an Airdrie fan. 

21 hours ago, Chippyminton said:

Genuine question as I'm not a betting man - if I put £100 on Morton at 16/1 right now, then we have a storming season meaning that the bookies gradually change the odds as the season progresses, will my bet still be honoured at the original 16/1 if the unthinkable miracle happens?

Yes. A lot of bookies might cap it upfront and only allow you say £50 on. If you bet online you could also cash out early in that scenario for a decent profit Fair chance if you won at those odds they would restrict your betting in future also 

Edited by AyrExile

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2023 at 00:18, Chippyminton said:

Cheers for all the useful replies lads. All the best for this season.

The maximum payout on all leagues varies and Scottish leagues tend to have less of a maximum.

Depends who you bet with but these are a quick guide to who will payout what.

Worth remembering that including a Scottish game/winner in a big accumulator can affect the maximum payout. 

Screenshot_20230719_231551_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c757d6eaf673f4397ba7dc297526b95c.jpg

10 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Think Morton will be the dark horse this season, stuck a few quid on them at 16/1.

Thank you.

Just remember to cash out,  if they are 15 points clear at the turn of the year...

Thank you.