#Barclays 23/24

Not that I'm ITK or anything about how well or poorly Sancho trains, but isn't it pretty common knowledge that he was out for so long last season partly for physical reasons bur also partly for mental health reasons? Sure its been widely reported. Ten Haag could have easily said something like "I didn't think he was suitable for this game" or "He knows its difficult to get into the squad at the moment" or "look, a squirrel" rather than saying what he did tbh.

20 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Not that I'm ITK or anything about how well or poorly Sancho trains, but isn't it pretty common knowledge that he was out for so long last season partly for physical reasons bur also partly for mental health reasons? Sure its been widely reported. Ten Haag could have easily said something like "I didn't think he was suitable for this game" or "He knows its difficult to get into the squad at the moment" or "look, a squirrel" rather than saying what he did tbh.

He went on a long individual training camp last season because he wasn't mentally or physically ready for first team football.

This could imply mental health reasons, it could also relate to something differently entirely (e.g. his focus / mentality). Or, as Man Utd fans refer to it, he went to fat camp.

Man Utd have probably protected  him more than most clubs would, I think Ten Haag has probably thought enough was enough and is trying something different. It didn't work, Sancho lashed out, and now they are negotiating a contract termination.

You see it in boot dreams, but some people clearly do not have the right mentality to be elite (or even non elite) footballers. An interesting question is how Sancho even made it this far given he was repeatedly fined for being late at Dortmund and even criticised whilst training with England at euro 2020.

Guy earns massive contract, whilst not even pretending to care that much. It's actually quite impressive.

12 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Howard Webb spoke very well here, I thought. 

The VAR felt certain it was a foul, there was a pause, then he changed his mind. 

That seems…odd. 

I’m not suggesting some kind of conspiracy with someone whispering in his ear, but it does seem like he realised the enormity of where he was going and decided to backtrack. 

1 hour ago, The Master said:

The VAR felt certain it was a foul, there was a pause, then he changed his mind. 

That seems…odd. 

I’m not suggesting some kind of conspiracy with someone whispering in his ear, but it does seem like he realised the enormity of where he was going and decided to backtrack. 

He also seemed to ask "Westy" (the Assistant VAR maybe?) to have a look but didn't ask the on field referee which seems strange. 

The bigger question is what was Michael Owen doing on Sky? He's been a BT man until now (and Channel 4 for the England games) and generally terrible, although he was OK here. Or was this a Premier League production?

On 04/09/2023 at 22:04, eez-eh said:

It’s definitely up there with attempting to burgle Duncan Ferguson’s house.

I mind going to a Blizzard panel session in the Signet Library a few years back and Alan Pattullo was there who wrote Ferguson's autobiography and he talked about this incident. IIRC he said that Ferguson went downstairs, possibly bollock naked, and found these guys in his living room. One of them scarpered when he saw Ferguson but the other was trapped in the room and started apologising frantically for breaking into his home. Ferguson apparently cracked his knuckles and said "That's not how it works big man" :lol:

13 minutes ago, The Master said:

Listening to it again, the VAR also seems to think that Dawson isn't a Wolves player. 

A complete clusterfuck all round, really. 

That's not what he's saying at all. They are noting that Dawson wins the ball in the air, and that therefore the actual collision between Onana and the other Wolves player doesn't involve either player winning the ball.

That is important in terms of the decision making process  - if Dawson wins the ball and then gets wiped by the keeper it is a 100% clear nailed on penalty. The fact that it is instead a collision between two players, neither of whom win the ball, changes the interpretation somewhat, since there is going to be a higher bar for the level of contact needed for that to be a foul. Clearly Onana exceeds that bar and it should still be a penalty, but the fact that an entirely different Wolves player wins the ball in the air isn't a factor.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

He also seemed to ask "Westy" (the Assistant VAR maybe?) to have a look but didn't ask the on field referee which seems strange. 

The bigger question is what was Michael Owen doing on Sky? He's been a BT man until now (and Channel 4 for the England games) and generally terrible, although he was OK here. Or was this a Premier League production?

I think this new show is going to be featured on both Sky and TNT (new name for BT).

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Simply the best, better than all the rest. 

As I always say when this lunatic argument is made, you’d be arrested on the street for stepping up and appealing for offside.   There is absolutely no equivalence whatsoever to be made.  

Also, Richard Keys is a moron 

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

As I always say when this lunatic argument is made, you’d be arrested on the street for stepping up and appealing for offside.   There is absolutely no equivalence whatsoever to be made.  

I have never tried it myself, but I would be furious if I got arrested for stepping up and appealing for offside on the street.