#Barclays 23/24

11 hours ago, peasy23 said:

That was so bad it wouldn't have looked out of place as a Super Sunday game.

Pretty shite game lastnight. Brighton will be kicking themselves though having not managed to break West Ham down once they decided not to bother crossing half way line, in a home game, for what seemed like the entire second half. 

I tend to watch Brighton mostly to watch Gilmour although they are a good watch anyway, but I think lastnight it was noticeable, sometimes for Scotland we talk about playing him in backs to the wall games as someone who can retain what possession we have, but I'd say he was far more influential on the match once the game was being played in West Hams half. Not to say he was anonymous first half, but he wasnt dictating things. 

I didn't even know there was a Barclays game on Sky last night. it would be interesting to see the viewing figures from last night compared to a normal MNF game that isn't up against a '16' year old darts phenomenon. 

12 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Pretty shite game lastnight. Brighton will be kicking themselves though having not managed to break West Ham down once they decided not to bother crossing half way line, in a home game, for what seemed like the entire second half. 

I tend to watch Brighton mostly to watch Gilmour although they are a good watch anyway, but I think lastnight it was noticeable, sometimes for Scotland we talk about playing him in backs to the wall games as someone who can retain what possession we have, but I'd say he was far more influential on the match once the game was being played in West Hams half. Not to say he was anonymous first half, but he wasnt dictating things. 

I really enjoy Billy Gilmour's pass and move football,  I thought Chelsea messed him about and was pretty disgusted with the way he was treated by some Norwich fans.  McGregor, Gilmour and McGinn in midfield together are a decent blend, because they all have a good awareness of space.  I think the role Gilmour plays is probably more appreciated by other Premier League players, than fans e.g. Michael Carrick.  He could probably play a lot more of an attacking game for Brighton, but managers love players who can help their teammates out out when they are being pressed.

Manchester United are EXTENDING (yes, you read that correctly, the opposite of terminating) the contract of Anthony Martial 🤣🤣🤣

They really do have the club they deserve. 

Hopefully it's ploy to inflate his fee to one of Ratcliffes other teams and lands them in some sort of hot water. 

Probably a more sensible idea than letting him leave for free in the summer. I'm sure someone would throw at least twenty million at them for him if they made it obvious they wanted rid. Though is wages may be problematic. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

36 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Probably a more sensible idea than letting him leave for free in the summer. I'm sure someone would throw at least twenty million at them for him if they made it obvious they wanted rid. Though is wages may be problematic. 

Gives rise to the Harry Maguire scenario coming up though, where he simply decides that he's going to sit on his enormous contract as no one else will match it, and they end up being unable to strengthen because of it. 

Seems like a bit of a gamble for a club in both desperate, and hilarious need of a complete rebuild 

Again, they could probably get a few quid for Maguire, I wouldn't be surprised if some daft team throws twenty or thirty million at them and he leaves after the Euros. Hopefully not Villa.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

6 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Again, they could probably get a few quid for Maguire, I wouldn't be surprised if some daft team throws twenty or thirty million at them and he leaves after the Euros. Hopefully not Villa.

But they tried, he refused and sat tight? West Ham no? I'm certain they cited failure to offload as a key blocker to strengthening and here we are, with AWB, Lindelof and Martial all extending, presumably for bigger money than they are likely.to command elsewhere. 

All 3 are players who any right thinking fan would say, that need to be upgraded. 

Maybe, but he will be off sooner or later I'd imagine. That's why I said after the Euros. If you've got players well into their thirties then by all means get rid, but with FFP nobody wants to let millions of pounds of potential transfer fees walk out the door for nothing.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Manchester United are EXTENDING (yes, you read that correctly, the opposite of terminating) the contract of Anthony Martial 🤣🤣🤣

They really do have the club they deserve. 

Hopefully it's ploy to inflate his fee to one of Ratcliffes other teams and lands them in some sort of hot water. 

I'm pretty sure this takes him into testimonial range. What an event that will be.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

But they tried, he refused and sat tight? West Ham no? I'm certain they cited failure to offload as a key blocker to strengthening and here we are, with AWB, Lindelof and Martial all extending, presumably for bigger money than they are likely.to command elsewhere. 

All 3 are players who any right thinking fan would say, that need to be upgraded. 

Extending their contracts by a year to try get a fee for them in the summer is standard behaviour for the “big” clubs.

Of all the things to mock Man United about, this isn’t one of them.

27 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Think that's called the "sign for us and in January we'll sign a mate for you to go to dinner with Harry" clause.

I know that's a clause that exists in Football Manager (well apart from the dinner part) but I can't ever recall seeing it in real life lol

38 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I know that's a clause that exists in Football Manager (well apart from the dinner part) but I can't ever recall seeing it in real life lol

Dundee signed that Paneda from Mexico on the recommendation of Portales, but it turns out its just his mate he wants to bring over with him.

Rumours of Kimmich to PSG, so quite possibly the biggest downgrade in football history if true.

58 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Dundee signed that Paneda from Mexico on the recommendation of Portales, but it turns out its just his mate he wants to bring over with him.

They weren't mates though, were they?