#Barclays 23/24

On 18/02/2024 at 13:51, David W said:

Apparently they've just appointed Mark Clattenburg as a referee analyst. Not sure that's going to help much.

Re this Clattenburg appointment. It was being discussed on radio 5 earlier and the view from the journalist (didn't catch his name) was that although he's been described as an analyst he's currently more being used as a lobbyist and is in place to give more "credibility" to Forest complaints. The discussion was somewhat derailed by Micah Richards struggling to understand what the issues might be but I thought, despite that, it was interesting.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Re this Clattenburg appointment. It was being discussed on radio 5 earlier and the view from the journalist (didn't gey his name) was that although he's been described as an analyst he's currently more being used as a lobbyist and is in place to give more "credibility" to Forest complaints. The discussion was somewhat derailed by Micah Richards struggling to understand what the issues might be but I thought, despite that, it was an interesting.

Between being the Premier League's maiden club-specific "referee analyst" and simultaneously the lead referee on Gladiators, I am extremely jealous of Clattenburg. What a combination of utterly ludicrous but fun and no doubt lucrative jobs. 

Can the epl not use some sort of dispensation and just relegate Sheffield United just now and not have them play any more games this season as there seems to be no point in them turning up, except for a contractual agreement to do so.

Arsenal have looked ominously good since the turn of the year. 7/7 wins in the league, 31 goals scored and 3 conceded. The competition hasn’t been particularly high but you can only beat what’s in front of you and they did beat Liverpool a few weeks ago.

I think Liverpool will drop points at home to City on Sunday and quickly fall into 3rd place and by the time we get into April we’ll be talking about the same two teams going at it as last season. 

I think The Arsenal will do it this year. They look solid at the back and with Saka, Havertz, Martinelli and Odegaard they've got about 40,000 goals in them.

11 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Re this Clattenburg appointment. It was being discussed on radio 5 earlier and the view from the journalist (didn't catch his name) was that although he's been described as an analyst he's currently more being used as a lobbyist and is in place to give more "credibility" to Forest complaints. The discussion was somewhat derailed by Micah Richards struggling to understand what the issues might be but I thought, despite that, it was interesting.

An appalling inclusion in any punditry team. He's really only there for comic relief and to be the voice of the dimmest parts of the audience. An utter moron.

I actually think that his appointment is a good example of inclusion and diversity on a superficial level while actually being structurally racist on a deeper level. He's a caricature of the type of black man that white people are comfortable with. The comic relief. An idiot who doesn't understand much and who intellectually elevates the whiter people around him . It's minstrelsy, essentially.

Now, if you really want to tackle racism at a more fundamental level then find a James Baldwin type character. An intelligent, thoughtful and articulate black man who also offers a sense of self control. I thought Garth Crooks was that sort. There must be others. 

54 minutes ago, velo army said:

An appalling inclusion in any punditry team. He's really only there for comic relief and to be the voice of the dimmest parts of the audience. An utter moron.

I actually think that his appointment is a good example of inclusion and diversity on a superficial level while actually being structurally racist on a deeper level. He's a caricature of the type of black man that white people are comfortable with. The comic relief. An idiot who doesn't understand much and who intellectually elevates the whiter people around him . It's minstrelsy, essentially.

Now, if you really want to tackle racism at a more fundamental level then find a James Baldwin type character. An intelligent, thoughtful and articulate black man who also offers a sense of self control. I thought Garth Crooks was that sort. There must be others. 

On the other hand...

Are you prepared to tell people "You're more than qualified to be our village idiot but I'm afraid we don't hire Black morons here". 

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Supply & Demand. It says more about the viewers as a whole if TV feel this is the way to appeal to audiences. I don't have any issue with Richards - I don't listen when he's talking, but that it.

I also don't recognise this as a racism issue. There's an amateur documentary discussing football pundits and why they're so bad. One that came up was Matthew Syed. Born and bred in the UK albeit with Pakistani links. He wasn't a successful mainstream pundit because he was too smart for the masses, who only want tits and arse. To be entertained rather than educated.

https://youtu.be/cLpqnL7COL0?si=N4TCc8PN2sbDczi7&t=293

Edited by 2426255

I certainly don't think he's there as a token. And any time I've watched a US stream of the UCL, he's been good value with Carragher and Henry. Some of their patter is actually quite funny

22 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Is he really any worse than keane? Who’s major insight into the game just seems to be just talking about passion and snapping people?

Yeah, agree with this. Keane offers zero tactical input and says ‘sloppy’ a bit too much. He can be amusing when he goes off on one but he’s only there for potential click bait afterwards.

Edited by ArabGaz

40 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Superb. Aye I think I saw him on football focus years ago and thought he was smart. He looks like he fucking hates punditry 😂.

The search for my footballing James Baldwin, WEB Dubois or Langston Hughes continues.

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Does it not say more about the viewers as a whole more than anything else if TV feel this is the way to appeal to audiences? I don't have any issue with Richards - I don't listen when he's talking, but that it.

I also don't recognise this as a racism issue. There's a good amateur documentary discussing football pundits and why they're so bad. A good one that came up was Matthew Syed. Born and bred in the UK albeit with Pakistani links. He wasn't a successful mainstream pundit because he was too intelligent for the masses, who only want tits and arse.

https://youtu.be/cLpqnL7COL0?si=N4TCc8PN2sbDczi7&t=293

That's worth watching although ironically you've oversimplified the Matthew Syed story.

The story that is being highlighted in the video is that he was talking about the wider issue of the dirty money coming into the premiership on Sky TV which is very much off brand for Sky

The mainstream coverage of the Everton/Forest points deduction has seen pundits completely out of their depths.

Saying "That's never a penalty for me!" or "Player X has improved now that the gaffer is playing him as more of a false nine" is easy enough  for ex-pros but trying to explain the Everton situation is Financial Times territory and you're not going to get it into a soundbite

And when it comes to the implications of  multiclub ownership projects like the city football group having played centre half for Spurs isn't much help

3 minutes ago, velo army said:

Superb. Aye I think I saw him on football focus years ago and thought he was smart. He looks like he fucking hates punditry 😂.

The search for my footballing James Baldwin, WEB Dubois or Langston Hughes continues.

Have you been listening the history of Africana philosophy podcast as well?
https://historyofphilosophy.net/series/africana-philosophy