#Barclays 23/24

Cheese

22 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

That's worth watching although ironically you've oversimplified the Matthew Syed story.

Aye, i know - well spotted. It was just to help make the point that lowest common denominator is what the majority want.

10 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Aye, i know - well spotted. It was just to help make the point that lowest common denominator is what the majority want.

Really good video. One of the big alarm bells in it was the "1 in 25" fans who think VAR is a good thing. That was a weird way of framing 4%. It's an awful figure, but I'm glad they highlighted it. It's another topic, but I think when we all email our clubs (as we should) venting our disgust at VAR we can point to that figure as a bolster for the wider point that it's spoiling the "fan experience" that clubs have been precious about cultivating. 

I was going to make a comment about Arsenal's goal difference (45 to 39 and 35 for Liverpool and Man City) but now all the time I've spent watching videos of Garth Crooks on youtube is finally going to pay off:

And now, the best one of the lot and perhaps second for second the single funniest video online:

On 05/03/2024 at 12:40, ArabGaz said:

Yeah, agree with this. Keane offers zero tactical input and says ‘sloppy’ a bit too much. He can be amusing when he goes off on one but he’s only there for potential click bait afterwards.

This could be said of any pundit/presenter/commentator nowadays. I remember reading of a BBC MOTD production meeting held on a Monday morning following a weekend full of goals, incident etc. Despite the ratings being good, the bosses were raging that their social media interactions were lower than the week before. 

It's like Peter Drury - folk (not me) love his "ROMA HAVE RISEN FROM THEIR RUINS" schtick when they watch the goal on Twitter. Listen to it for a full game approaching two hours? f**k no.   

4 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Any Mark Goldbridge or The Flying Pig video after a Manchester United defeat.

"Finished that like he's prime Raul"

22 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

It's like Peter Drury - folk (not me) love his "ROMA HAVE RISEN FROM THEIR RUINS" schtick when they watch the goal on Twitter. Listen to it for a full game approaching two hours? f**k no.   

Trying too hard to get an iconic line. Massive turn off. I remember hearing that, got whiplash from cringing.

He's turning into Crocker unfortunately. I just watched the Man City v Utd highlights and his "seizes the day, seizes the derby day" is just utter shite. 

It's clever from Sky as it's in their interest to create a narrative around the EPL being endless drama and excitement so they put out clips and highlights reels with Drury commentating and folk with short memories or low IQs don't know to view it other than how they're told.

Pish.

Commentary in all sports stopped being about just describing and informing years ago A combination of popularisation through shortened social media clips and an increasing battle for viewers' attention means everything needs to be as over the top and dramatic as possible to draw people in. See also Crofty shrieking like an extremely pre-prepared lunatic over Formula 1 races.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

I see there are rumours that Man Utd are looking at Gareth Southgate as manager if/when Ten Hag leaves at the end of the season - seems like a ready made disaster to me.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I see there are rumours that Man Utd are looking at Gareth Southgate as manager if/when Ten Hag leaves at the end of the season - seems like a ready made disaster to me.

A disaster for Man United. Great for everyone else.