#Barclays 24/25

Wee-Bey

1 hour ago, ford prefect said:

Comparing me a working class person on an average wage to someone already a multi millionaire isn't really the same eh?

Exactly. 

Even if you knock two zeros off whatever the UAE/Saudis will offer De Bruyne, you're looking at life changing money for the vast majority of the population. That would be the mortgage paid off, which takes a lot of pressure off. 

Compare that with an already very rich man who's set up for life as it is and has millions in the bank? It's no comparison at all. He can buy ten houses right now if he wanted to. 

He is of course entitled to take it if he wants and, yes, he can be criticised for it. "You'd take it as well, hypocrite!' is not some sort of gotcha response here. It's not an equal comparison.  

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

Is he getting pudding as well?

If he is then that changes my outlook completely. Can never have enough sweet treats.

5 hours ago, ford prefect said:

Human greed knows no limits. 

His current net worth means he and his children will be wealthy all their lives.

Moving to the Saudi League would probably mean his grandchildren would be wealthy all their lives too.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ford prefect said:

Human greed knows no limits. 

De Bruyne came from a Belgian African colonial family (he was eligible to play for Burundi). I'm guessing concerns about exploiting others weren't discussed much around the dinner table growing up.

Edited by Lurkst

42 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

His current net worth means he and his children will be wealthy all their lives.

Moving to the Saudi League would probably mean his grandchildren would be wealthy all their lives too.

Assuming he hasn’t frittered most of it away like an idiot his grandchildren and great grandchildren would be just dandy the way it is.

8 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/crggez4w209o

Times article reported by the BBC.

In a totally expected move Manchester City's mega expensive legal team are taking the offensive.     

City are also looking for damages because they feel victimised.

#TakingThePiss

I would pish myself if they won, and the damages bankrupted the Premier League in the process

15 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Neither of you would think about that kind of offer, would you?

There is literally no amount of money that would make me live and work in Saudi Arabia for two years under the current regime, and I make a year what a Premier League clogger takes home in a week.

You don't have to be Gandhi or Greta Thunberg to have integrity. 

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

There is literally no amount of money that would make me live and work in Saudi Arabia for two years under the current regime, and I make a year what a Premier League clogger takes home in a week.

You don't have to be Gandhi or Greta Thunberg to have integrity. 

I get that, I just don't see the point in getting upset about players wages. Who pays them is a non-issue in this case really, so his integrity has already been demonstrated.

Regardless of all that, if the Devil himself offered that kind of deal, I think anyone would have a think about it, which is the point de Brunye was making.

11 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Basically, these rules are totally unfair, but no, they never broke them getting to, what is it, 6 out of the last 7 titles.

It's a strange strategy

Most of the charges relate to deceitful bookkeeping to make it look like they were complying with the rules.

Even if they somehow get those rules changed the duplicity, deceit and fraud remain.

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I would pish myself if they won, and the damages bankrupted the Premier League in the process

I like your logic. 😂 

That would likely lead to a European/Saudi league. 

Money has killed the sport I fell in love with.

8 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

It's a strange strategy

Most of the charges relate to deceitful bookkeeping to make it look like they were complying with the rules.

Even if they somehow get those rules changed the duplicity, deceit and fraud remain.

Money (and lawyers) talks…

10 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I get that, I just don't see the point in getting upset about players wages. Who pays them is a non-issue in this case really, so his integrity has already been demonstrated.

Regardless of all that, if the Devil himself offered that kind of deal, I think anyone would have a think about it, which is the point de Brunye was making.

I think you're massively wrong about what other people are prepared to do for money. No, I don't think "anyone" would take money from the actual Devil unless they were in desperate circumstances. I think you're speaking for yourself.

I'm not at all upset about player wages and you can't compare being paid by someone like Bayern Munich to being paid by Saudi Arabia's government. I'm upset about people legitimising a government that murders people for criticising it. That locks people up indefinitely and without trial for tweeting that they wish they had elections. That treats women like literally second-class citizens.

All governments sit somewhere on the good guy-w*nk scale and most are towards the bad end of that, but you have to draw a line somewhere and I'm drawing it before we get to Saudi Arabia's. And when you play for a Saudi football club you're mostly getting paid by that government. Anyone who takes that money when they don't need to is a c*nt. 

12 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/crggez4w209o

Times article reported by the BBC.

In a totally expected move Manchester City's mega expensive legal team are taking the offensive.     

City are also looking for damages because they feel victimised.

#TakingThePiss

Playing the victim despite winning 6 titles out if the last 7. 

They have become Celtic.