#Barclays 24/25

Wee-Bey

6 hours ago, SH Panda said:

People are entitled to take whichever moral stance they want.

I don't have a problem with KDB playing in Saudi Arabia, nor for Newcastle. Nor for the many other business owned by unsavoury regimes (I draw the line at gambling companies actually).

What countries are acceptable to live in and work in from your perspective?

The Saudi regime are certainly bad but there are plenty of regimes worse than them. China and the US locks up far more people without trial for a start, and the Indian government murdered a dissident in Canada recently.

Who passes your moral test and who doesn't?

I don't remember this same vitirol when Gary O'Connor or Tino Anjorin went to play in Russia.

And on your final point, most of the world has had nothing to do with Saudi Arabia, it's the UK that has invaded 90% of countries in the world. Some we haven't quite got round to yet. There's quite a good book about it.

Most of this is just whataboutery. Some of it is so out of date it's hilarious. Garry O'Connor went to Russia for the last time 12 years ago, when it was still a democracy. The UK is like Saudi Arabia because it had colonies until several decades ago?

People are entitled to take whichever moral stance they want.

Not entirely, we enforce some morality through laws, when the choice someone could make would cause harm to other people. Providing support to the Saudi regime definitely causes harm to women, gay people and democracy campaigners among others. We have sanctions against countries like Myanmar for that reason.

Apart from that, people are entitled to draw their moral lines where they want and I'm entitled to call them a c*nt for it if I want. I'm entitled to call someone a c*nt for taking money to play football for a dictator that kills folk for nothing more than tweeting in support of rights that you and I take for granted.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/08/29/saudi-arabia-man-sentenced-death-tweets

12 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Really? That was a brilliant little pub. First went in the 13/14 season I think when Kevin Nolan got a quick double in the second half for West Ham. Drunk a ridiculous amount of JHB which is probably the first and last time I drunk ale for a session. 

Closed a few months ago now. To my utter shame I lived about a mile away for years but never went. Plenty of similar Victorian pubs in Birmingham but Barton Arms had more of a name than most.

11 hours ago, GordonS said:

Most of this is just whataboutery. Some of it is so out of date it's hilarious. Garry O'Connor went to Russia for the last time 12 years ago, when it was still a democracy. 

Lol wut

Posted (edited)
On 06/06/2024 at 12:15, SH Panda said:

I don't have a problem with KDB playing in Saudi Arabia, nor for Newcastle. Nor for the many other business owned by unsavoury regimes (I draw the line at gambling companies actually).

9 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The Saudis mass murdered 81 people in 2022 by beheading them.

End of conversation.

It's easy to criticise the Saudi Regime on things like human rights

But they do have an outright ban on gambling

So they're still the good guys apparently

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

10 minutes ago, SH Panda said:

There is plenty of gambling in Saudi Arabia and they are most certainly not the good guys. And whilst I don't work for a gambling firm I hope others do - it's far better being a legitimate industry as there will always be a demand for it.

Singapore is an interesting case, loads of people live and work there without issue, but they execute people for even non violent crimes.

There are loads of bad regimes in the world - my answer is call them out. And yes even us and other democracies sometimes. There are benign autocracies and murderous democracies.

What premier league owner is the least evil? It's a tough one actually.

That places us in a Zenonic ethical world where if you don't know precisely where to draw the line then there can't be a line 

9 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I preferred it when the #Barclays thread was about paucity of hair. 

Or who shagged who's wife/sister

19 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

I preferred it when the #Barclays thread was about paucity of hair. 

Easy for you to say, but I'd make it a protected characteristic, like being a cripple or a midget!

I dug into the Vietnamese betting industry

https://www.vietnam-briefing.com/news/vietnam-legalizes-sports-betting.html/

Vietnam Legalizes Sports Betting
June 20, 2018
Posted by Vietnam Briefing
Reading Time:  5 minutes
By: Dezan Shira & Associates
Editor: Koushan Das

On June 14, 2018, Vietnam’s National Assembly passed a bill, legalizing the principle of sports betting, with government oversight. As of now, it lacks clarity on a number of issues, such as categories of sports which will be included as well as how it will be implemented by the government. The government will be releasing further details before it comes into effect next year. This law follows a March 2017 decree, which legalized betting on international football games, horse races, and greyhound races.

Betting regulations
Last year, the government issued Decree No. 06/2017/ND-CP (“Decree 06”), which included a five-year pilot program for betting on horseracing, greyhound racing, and international football. The decree is already in effect. Decree 06 includes strict conditions for firms involved in betting activities.

Charter capital – For horseracing and football, the charter capital requirement is VND1 trillion ($44.2 million), while for greyhound racing it is VND300 billion ($13.2 million);
Football betting – During the five-year pilot program, only one betting operator will be provided the investment registration certificate. The government only allows international soccer games recognized by FIFA, the international governing body, which includes the World Cup, the Confederations Cup, Copa America, Champions League, and Europa League.
Horseracing and Greyhound racing – Firms involved in these races must be in the form of a limited liability or a joint stock company;
Amount and age restrictions – All players must be at least 21 years old. 

So basically Sports betting is in the process of being legalised and the five year pilot programme where only one bookie was allowed started five years ago

Which means there will be new entrants to the market keen to create a recognized brand name that don't yet have a presence or indeed a trading history

That's not to say that Net88 and Debet aren't somehow involved in organized crime, but it does mean that there's a very strong possibility that they're not

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)