#Barclays 24/25

Wee-Bey

38 minutes ago, Michael W said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/czxgp0epdq1o#comments

Maybe don't go and play your daft wee tournament then, Pep?

A 32 world club cup tournament? This is why i have no sympathy for the likes of Rodri whining about 2 many games. They are complaining and wanting rid of the league cup and international games, then organising tournaments like this with the wee pishy, diddy sides just so Fifa can have the likes of Messi and that playing in it. The world club cup is a pish tournament anyway. Tell pep to GTF or arrange his post/pre season accordingly.

They could pair-up Chelsea and Manchester City on opening day and catch-it-up midweek somewhere. In practice TV won't like that plus Guardiola would then moan about another 3 games in "a week" somewhere.

Rodri only played 63 games last season including internationals, plus friendlies. (He's now going to play considerably fewer less this season!). In any case you can happily introduce a charter for millionaires only wanting to play between 50 and 60 games a year... it doesn't have to mean abolishing domestic cups or internationals you just cap the number of games an individual can play. I suspect you'd suddenly find their enthusiasm slackening.

It's all a bit of a myth anyway. I recently saw English season schedules in 1970s, and it was as packed as now. European competitions including Texaco or Anglo-Italian cups were briefer, but 10-12 internationals even without qualifying for WC or Euros; league internationals; 42 league games; unlimited FA Cup replays; League Cup all-in, 2-legged R1/R2, replays; Watney Cup; etc. etc.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

They could pair-up Chelsea and Manchester City on opening day and catch-it-up midweek somewhere. In practice TV won't like that plus Guardiola would then moan about another 3 games in "a week" somewhere.

Rodri only played 63 games last season including internationals, plus friendlies. (He's now going to play considerably fewer less this season!). In any case you can happily introduce a charter for millionaires only wanting to play between 50 and 60 games a year... it doesn't have to mean abolishing domestic cups or internationals you just cap the number of games an individual can play. I suspect you'd suddenly find their enthusiasm slackening.

It's all a bit of a myth anyway. I recently saw English season schedules in 1970s, and it was as packed as now. European competitions including Texaco or Anglo-Italian cups were briefer, but 10-12 internationals even without qualifying for WC or Euros; league internationals; 42 league games; unlimited FA Cup replays; League Cup all-in, 2-legged R1/R2, replays; Watney Cup; etc. etc.

I think the game is quicker and the demand on players is greater now. Even if it wasn't, players playing too many games in the 70s and 80s is hardly an argument for doing the same now.

Also, Rodri being a sore loser doesn't mean he isn't right here (I'm responding more to other posters here).

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

63 appearances is the same as John Wark for Liverpooli in 84/85  Hansen  had one fewer and Phil Neal had one more

and there would be international duty o  top of that

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

25 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

63 appearances is the same as John Wark for Liverpooli in 84/85  Hansen  had one fewer and Phil Neal had one more and there would be international duty o  top of that

Sammy Lee - 1983-84
67     Liverpool competitive appearances     
(this was every game Liverpool played - and they lost in FA Cup R4)
   8     Liverpool friendly appearances     (again every game - 6 in August/2 in May)
   7     England appearances     (he wasn't selected for 4 more and England didn't qualify for Euro 84)

I have some sympathy with the players re games played. FIFA and UEFA are grabbing b*****ds. 

But that said, they need to focused their ire on their own clubs and their stupid tours. 

My sympathy is also lessened due to the fact that these c***s take a private jet to cut out a 1 hour bus journey. 

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I have some sympathy with the players re games played. FIFA and UEFA are grabbing b*****ds. But that said, they need to focused their ire on their own clubs and their stupid tours. My sympathy is also lessened due to the fact that these c***s take a private jet to cut out a 1 hour bus journey. 

Indeed... meanwhile English football has cut 4 league games, scrapped all FA Cup replays, put European clubs into LC a round later and scrapped 2 legged ties & replays.

Ultimately players want FIFA+UEFA's £££ too, though.

Just now, HibeeJibee said:

Indeed... meanwhile English football has cut 4 league games, scrapped all FA Cup replays, put European clubs into LC a round later and scrapped 2 legged ties & replays.

Ultimately players want FIFA+UEFA's £££ too, though.

Ah yeah theres a huge element of having your cake and eating it. I mean, the Champions League has significantly boosted Club and player money, so to turn round and start moaning now should be taken with a pinch of salt 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Ah yeah theres a huge element of having your cake and eating it. I mean, the Champions League has significantly boosted Club and player money, so to turn round and start moaning now should be taken with a pinch of salt 

International windows do mean players get midweek rest Sep-Oct-Nov + Mar; didn't happen when all ties were midweek.

Issue is clearly CL/EL group expansion + CWC filling up closed season 2025.