#Barclays 24/25

Wee-Bey

36 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

The club hasn't been taken over, it still has the same owner and (mostly) the same board who ran the club into the ground.

This punishment has done nothing to them, so really they haven't taken any responsibility. (It's actually gone and taken the fanbase's eyes away from them and lifted the pressure that was on them; so it's actually helped them, one could argue.)

You don’t think the club getting relegated would impact the owners and the board?

8 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

It would but they quite clearly aren't getting relegated.

Which is the weakness of points penalties as sporting sanctions

They could end up having a catastrophic impact or they could be shrugged off

Viewed as a deterrent that's not necessarily a problem as nobody wants to end up having to play Russian roulette. 

As retribution it's going to end up looking disproportionate in hindsight one way or another

6 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Just catching up on the highlights from the weekend. 

What are the odds of Roy Hodgson not surviving the season, and I mean literally? He looks awful. Can't need the stress or the money. 

Deadpool thread for this tempting pish.

19 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Match Of The Day commentator Steve Wilson...'You've got to feel a bit sorry for Newcastle'

Me...'Do I f***'

Watched it live and they were creepily sympathetic towards them. Almost in tears applauding the brave souls who made the journey despite some trains being cancelled. And then when their consolation goal was being reviewed, G Neville was saying how he really hoped it was given for the sake of the fans because they deserved to celebrate. "Even if it's not given, at least they got to jump out their seats" :lol: Did a train crash killing thousands of Newcastle fans happen that morning and I missed it? 

Edited by RawB93

3 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

Luton, Burnley and Sheffield United are in the league. Come on.

And there we have it. They're not going to get relegated because other clubs below them won't spend £100m + on players they can't afford. No sporting advantage, my arsenal.

34 minutes ago, Raven said:

And there we have it. They're not going to get relegated because other clubs below them won't spend £100m + on players they can't afford. No sporting advantage, my arsenal.

Sheffield United's last two promotions have seen them spend:

£62.14m (2019), and £55.29m (2023). For that club, it's quite a lot. They're no Man Utd. And This season's spending comes under an owner who wants to sell the club, and is investing nothing, meaning it's effectively all from the promotion money/revenue. And it'll be a fair chunk of it.

Burnley?

Just a wee £95m* spent.

So, you know...

34 minutes ago, Raven said:

other clubs below them won't spend £100m

Pretty much £100m.

Luton, who are quite obviously preparing to go back down and be strong in the Championship - have spent £17m. This is also whilst having to spend £10m on their stadium, and whilst building a brand new stadium elsewhere in Luton.

So, we have one club who aren't trying to stay up (Luton), one who spent a decent amount of money to try and stay up, all while having little to no investment (Sheffield Utd) and one who absolutely have splashed the big bucks to try and stay up (Burnley).

But yes, that's Everton's fault...

Edit: Prices are in Euros on sources, converted them to £ in this edit. Also;

ETA - More on this:

All three clubs have spent more on players than they have made one sales (SHU = £-28.76m / BUR = £-91.93m / LUT = £-19.5m)

Everton? A profit of £36.25m.

Even last season, £21.77m in profit.

Thanks for playing.

Edited by ClydeTon

Everton have admitted to breaking the rules, but think that they should have an exemption because of Covid. You know, the global pandemic that only affected one of the two Merseyside-based top flight clubs. They don't have a leg to stand on.

You can make an argument that the entire concept of FFP is bollocks, but if you have a rule, of course Everton should be punished and I've no idea why anyone thinks the league should just let them off.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

23 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Anyway, could have been a lot worse...

Pontypridd United: Cymru Premier club face potential 141-point deduction after FAW probe - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67687142

😁

Hand the Manchester City investigation over to the FAW...

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Tbf if you read the article (which I obviously didn't bother doing before posting the link) then you can see that the headline is misleading and they've only been deducted six points so far.

That's probably why it says "potential"...