Dundee vs. Motherwell Saturday 5th August

24 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

We were worth at least a point. Unlucky not to get all three. 

I thought we played some excellent football, McCowan and Cameron the stand outs. 

Ashcroft just simply not cut out for this level and we need another midfielder or two in. 

Ashcroft was fine...i felt he was unlucky with the goal as the ball just died the minute it hit the pitch...he was obviously expecting a bit of bounce

4 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

Ashcroft was fine...i felt he was unlucky with the goal as the ball just died the minute it hit the pitch...he was obviously expecting a bit of bounce

I don't even mean for the goal. The conditions meant that could happen to anyone...almost did with Shaugnessy later in the game. 

I just think overall he isn't cut out for this level. Would provide decent enough cover for injuries etc but not a starter.

15 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

I don't even mean for the goal. The conditions meant that could happen to anyone...almost did with Shaugnessy later in the game. 

I just think overall he isn't cut out for this level. Would provide decent enough cover for injuries etc but not a starter.

I just think he’s not quick enough to play in a 3 as has been mentioned. 
Still have memories of him getting ragdolled at East End Park in a 3 on opening day about 4 years ago. 

6, I think, new recruits in the starting line up and we did fine against a very seasoned Prem outfit. I think we’ll get better. We have some good players, we look very fit and have a manager who appears to know what he’s doing, down to earth, nothing fancy or bonkers. 
We look way better than the last time we came up and I reckon we’ll get better. 

5 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

6, I think, new recruits in the starting line up and we did fine against a very seasoned Prem outfit. I think we’ll get better. We have some good players, we look very fit and have a manager who appears to know what he’s doing, down to earth, nothing fancy or bonkers. 
We look way better than the last time we came up and I reckon we’ll get better. 

Totally agree. Positive signs from today. 

4 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Well Theo Bair showed a lot more than Wilkinson today. Put himself about and got involved in the play. Wilkinson on the other hand was posted missing for long spells.

Didn't learn much more than that. Full backs are still an issue and the attacking quality they can provide is not good enough. Souare was not impressive in any way and O'Donnell wasted a lot of good chances to put in a telling ball.

I'm going to have to disagree with that.  As much as I thoroughly enjoyed Theo getting his goal (and he really finished very well), he spent the rest of the game looking like some bloke who'd played 5-a-side all the time, and suddenly found himself on a big pitch playing proper football.  Fish out of water.   Good luck to him though, if he can take confidence from the goal then maybe he can push on.

The rest of the team looked fairly competent, and it wasn't the eye-bleeding shite we had to put up with under GA and (to a lesser extent, but with equally shitey results) Hammy.

Like you I thought Bazooka Joe looked decent in his short time on the pitch.

Roll on the next match, plenty of time for things to improve!

3 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I'm going to have to disagree with that.  As much as I thoroughly enjoyed Theo getting his goal (and he really finished very well), he spent the rest of the game looking like some bloke who'd played 5-a-side all the time, and suddenly found himself on a big pitch playing proper football.  Fish out of water.   Good luck to him though, if he can take confidence from the goal then maybe he can push on.

The rest of the team looked fairly competent, and it wasn't the eye-bleeding shite we had to put up with under GA and (to a lesser extent, but with equally shitey results) Hammy.

Like you I thought Bazooka Joe looked decent in his short time on the pitch.

Roll on the next match, plenty of time for things to improve!

Bair is a big unit but he looked slow and pretty limited to me. That said guys have done a decent job just like him, so who knows. 
One of us teams should have gambled on Akinyemi, way better than our big lump or yours imo. 

28 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

I just think he’s not quick enough to play in a 3 as has been mentioned. 
Still have memories of him getting ragdolled at East End Park in a 3 on opening day about 4 years ago. 

No sure if you are a wee bit confused. Ashcroft played in a back four for Dunfermline that day. Our back 3 was McGhee, Forster, and Meekings. Forster and Meekings were honking, JM got subbed at half-time and we switched to a four.

Agree with the general view though. He's no an outright bad player, just a wee bit leaden-footed and ponderous for this level. 

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

No sure if you are a wee bit confused. Ashcroft played in a back four for Dunfermline that day. Our back 3 was McGhee, Forster, and Meekings. Forster and Meekings were honking, JM got subbed at half-time and we switched to a four.

Agree with the general view though. He's no an outright bad player, just a wee bit leaden-footed and ponderous for this level. 

Jesus you’re absolutely right. I think I was thinking of Forster’s performance and confused him with Ashcroft somehow, aye. 

Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I did say like.

A player like that in this league is worth their weight in gold.

Yes, a player who can score 20 goals a season is valuable.

5 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Ashcroft isn’t as bad as he’s made out imo. We’re never going to have a team of world beaters. I didn’t think Shaughnessy looked brilliant either but the conditions were shite. Hopefully Portales and the young lad from Forest are better than Ashcroft and we can call upon him through injuries etc. 

2 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

Seeing the Miller strike on sportscene, how can you give that as a goal kick?? It was about to go in potentially??

That really annoyed me at the game.

Probably wouldnt have made any difference to the result, as we didnt get the better of the Dundee defence at set pieces all game, but how the referee or indeed his linesman cant see the change of direction of that ball is a mystery!

We will gloss over Caseys pit-a-pat with the ball in Kellys hands though. 😆😆😆