First Refusal: the EOS First Division 2023-24

Netwongrange vrs Saints game being called off, probably doesn’t help either team, at this point in the season it’s points on the board that count.

Wins for Camelon and Whitburn this weekend would really ramp up the pressure, any dropped points from here on in could prove fatal!

image.png.52e7f0f52bd32c75c84379592be5b0a1.png

(Vale recently lost 3pts for a 'promiscuous trialist'-type offence. Can they now reach 0pts?).

Whitburn move up to 3rd... midweek May mayhem of St Andrews v Whitburn then Newtongrange v St Andrews, plus Whitburn v Newtongrange on last day, will be massive.

Oakley fight on but fat lady's almost certainly clearing her throat.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

What on earth is a promiscuous trialist??? Sounds like something advertised on Vivastreet!

Colloquialism - as in 'indiscriminate' IIRC - it's an offence to appear with too many clubs in 1 season. Didn't actually used to be in EOSL but standardised a few years ago IIRC.

Anyway... sitting on -3pts means Vale need a result somewhere to avoid equalling Eyemouth's unenviable -3pts record from 2018-19... I think they'll get that result.

Edited by HibeeJibee

14 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Colloquialism - as in 'indiscriminate' IIRC - it's an offence to appear with too many clubs in 1 season. Didn't actually used to be in EOSL but standardised a few years ago IIRC.

Anyway... sitting on -3pts means Vale need a result somewhere to avoid equalling Eyemouth's unenviable -3pts record from 2018-19... I think they'll get that result.

Aha that makes more sense. Assuming it's max of 2 clubs per season or something?

Vale are still on target to finish with a better points total than they had last season...

5 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

Vale are still on target to finish with a better points total than they had last season...

I've just realised Eyemouth finishing on -3pts in 2018-19 was of course under the original conferences, effectively at Premier Division level, not in First Division.

First Division record low is -1pt by (guess who) Eyemouth in 2004-05... so Vale need 1 win to avoid that.

13 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I've just realised Eyemouth finishing on -3pts in 2018-19 was of course under the original conferences, effectively at Premier Division level, not in First Division.

First Division record low is -1pt by (guess who) Eyemouth in 2004-05... so Vale need 1 win to avoid that.

At least going from -6pts to -3pts from last season means they've shown some improvement :whistle

44 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

17 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

And they may well get that result against an inconsistent Whitehill on Tuesday night. Nae pressure like. :unsure2:

15 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

sitting on -3pts means Vale need a result somewhere to avoid equalling Eyemouth's unenviable -3pts record from 2018-19... I think they'll get that result.

Having watched them against Camelon yesterday, I would disagree and think they’ll finish on -3. They’re a poor side, although I did think their No 5 & 9 would be good players in better sides.

If Vale drop into the third division for 25/26 wil that have been four successive relegations from the Lowland League? This by my reckon ing is their third successive relegation having barely troubled the scorers all season.

Wow. Reminiscent of Northampton in the 60s (Div 4- Div 1 and then straight back all the way to Div 4 again) or Wolves in the 80s (3 successive relegations from first to fourth division, 1983-86).

There's been the odd double relegation in Scotland in my time (St. Johnstone certainly in the early 80s, maybe Dunfermline / Dumbarton as well) but three successive relegations with barely a win across those relegations in three seasons is impressive San Marino-esque form. Quite astonishing they were in the Lowland League for so long.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

25 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

If Vale drop into the third division for 25/26 wil that have been four successive relegations from the Lowland League? This by my reckon ing is their third successive relegation having barely troubled the scorers all season.

Wow. Reminiscent of Northampton in the 60s (Div 4- Div 1 and then straight back all the way to Div 4 again) or Wolves in the 80s (3 successive relegations from first to fourth division, 1983-86).

There's been the odd double relegation in Scotland in my time (St. Johnstone certainly in the early 80s, maybe Dunfermline / Dumbarton as well) but three successive relegations with barely a win across those relegations in three seasons is impressive San Marino-esque form. Quite astonishing they were in the Lowland League for so long.

Brechin basically suffered 3 consecutive between 2018 and 2021 allowing for disruption in 2020... Hawick got relegated from LL to EOSL in 2018, to First in 2019, Second in 2022 and Third in 2023 = 4.

8 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Brechin basically suffered 3 consecutive between 2018 and 2021 allowing for disruption in 2020... Hawick got relegated from LL to EOSL in 2018, to First in 2019, Second in 2022 and Third in 2023 = 4.

Yeah Brechin are close, Hawick plummted but not in consecutive seasons.

Should Vale drop again next season think that's pretty much history-making. I doubt they've mustered more than 3-4 wins in total, across the past few seasons

49 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

After getting relegated (in the last game of the season) from the First Division they spent one season in the Third after going down twice and before going down again. And they paused for a season in both Divisions Three and Two before being promoted again.

Bristol City clattered down through the divisions, too.

Edited by Jacksgranda

1 minute ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Yeah Brechin are close, Hawick plummted but not in consecutive seasons.

Should Vale drop again next season think that's pretty much history-making. I doubt they've mustered more than 3-4 wins in total, across the past few seasons

Hawick do have a gap for 2019-20 (as 2020-21 was null & void); albeit wasn't actually possible to go down that year, and did come 2nd bottom!

Vale got kept up in 2019-20 and struggled since:

4pts from 119 games     (19pts won but 15pts deducted)
5 wins
4 draws
110 losses
77 goals for
548 goals against
-471 goal difference

(not including expunged 0-6 and 0-2 defeats v Rosyth)

2019-20     Lowland League
image.png.dc10ae9b1b653861ba4fd1878b1c40ea.png

2020-21     Lowland League
image.png.f53936be4c97edd253912aa39fcd5705.png

2021-22     Lowland League
image.png.058a832d88ed28ab9c232d2441fbd9d7.png

2022-23     EOS Premier Division
image.png.528a36fa28442ebe8b795fd5954a502d.png

2023-24     EOS First Division (to date)
image.png.3f264f5b051a0656c9b48ba486ff1aa0.png
(not including expunged 0-6 and 0-2 defeats v Rosyth)

2 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

5 wins in 5 years and with a "goals against" column looking like an Australian cricket scorecard against England in the early 90s. Incredible stuff.

Yet their small band of loyal committee carry on week in week out. It's not all about glory hunting. 

St Andrews 7 Blackburn 0

I genuinely thought tonight was a possible banana skin for Saints. With Whitburn and Camelon winning recently the pressure was on to get back into the promotion places.

But Robbie’s men responded with one of their best 45 minutes of the season.

Three wins in our remaining five games will guarantee us promotion. With Vale of Leithen on Saturday it will surely be two from four heading into the big Whitburn clash next Wednesday.