First Refusal: the EOS First Division 2023-24

16 hours ago, patriot1 said:

St Andrews 7 Blackburn 0

I genuinely thought tonight was a possible banana skin for Saints. With Whitburn and Camelon winning recently the pressure was on to get back into the promotion places.

But Robbie’s men responded with one of their best 45 minutes of the season.

Three wins in our remaining five games will guarantee us promotion. With Vale of Leithen on Saturday it will surely be two from four heading into the big Whitburn clash next Wednesday.

That's a genuinely awful result for Blackburn 🤦‍♂️

Posted (edited)

giphy.gif

image.png.e4937a758f925a92de1d382f5e273962.png

Dunipace very close to title.

Camelon's loss to Preston leave St Andrews and Whitburn in driving seats:

Wednesday 8th May
St Andrews v Whitburn     🔥

Saturday 11th May
Camelon v Oakley
Kirkcaldy & Dysart v Whitburn
Newtongrange v Dunipace
St Andrews v Arniston

Tuesday 14th May
Newtongrange v St Andrews     🔥
Wednesday 15th May
Whitburn v Lochore

Saturday 18th May
Lochore v St Andrews
Whitburn v Newtongrange     🔥
Whitehill v Camelon

All over down bottom unless you've great confidence in Oakley or Dalbeattie/Creetown.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Just back from a lovely day in the borders with St Andrews at Innerleithen.  What a great setting in which to play football!  Nice wee ground and a very friendly and welcoming committee!  Getting a programme at an away game was another wee treat and Camelon losing capped a fine afternoon!!!  If you've never been to Vale of Leithen, I strongly suggest putting it in your diary - certainly guaranteed to see goals at the moment!   

45 minutes ago, Saints1921 said:

Just back from a lovely day in the borders with St Andrews at Innerleithen.  What a great setting in which to play football!  Nice wee ground and a very friendly and welcoming committee!  Getting a programme at an away game was another wee treat and Camelon losing capped a fine afternoon!!!  If you've never been to Vale of Leithen, I strongly suggest putting it in your diary - certainly guaranteed to see goals at the moment!   

Agree that VoL is a great setting. 

Crazy how close the middle grouping of 6th to 12th is. 

So much underlined that there is potential for Blackburn to have been 6th at start of this week and 11th by next weekend. 

Of that grouping, Leith ath is the best I've seen

What a collapse from Camelon.

They are not out of it as Whitburn and Newtongrange still have tough games to go but with the run of form they are in I’m struggling to see Camelon going up

Congratulations to Saints on gaining promotion to the Premier. 

They've been a worthy adversary over the past 2 seasons.

Well deserved over the season,hopefully Whitburn can clinch that 3rd spot over our last 3 games.

1 hour ago, Dav nan Gael said:

Congratulations to Saints on gaining promotion to the Premier. 

They've been a worthy adversary over the past 2 seasons.

Well deserved over the season,hopefully Whitburn can clinch that 3rd spot over our last 3 games.

Thank you Dav!!

A huge game for Whitburn on Saturday. Take care of Kirkcaldy and I am sure that our celebrations tonight will be repeated at Central Park next Wednesday.

Well it was a tense battle tonight which was decided by a penalty but Saints have achieved a second straight promotion.

It’s been a cracking campaign which we have spent most of outside the promotion places not because of bad form but simoly down to not playing as many games as our opposition.

Now our attention turns to trying to win the title and then the King Cup semi against our bogey team Leith.

Plenty still to play for.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bobbydazzler said:

Congrats to St Andrews on the promotion.

Title and 3rd promotion spot still to be decided in which Nitten could have a HUGE say in both. Should be a cracking finale to the season

Would love to see Nitten get the 3rd promotion spot, but it's a tall order!

First of all, they must win all 3 remaining matches, ironically against the current top 3. Two home matches against Dunipace, then St Andrews, followed by away v Whitburn.

Even then, if Whitburn win their other 2 matches, they would remain in 3rd place at end of season. 

If Whitburn only win 1, then Camelon could go up if they win their 2 remaining fixtures. If they do, Cameron and Nitten would both finish on 55 pts, but already with a better goal difference (gd)of 7, you'd think Camelon would be third, on basis by gd. 

Great for the neutral - terrible if you support either Whitburn, Camelon or Newtongrange. Max of 9 days to wait!

Edited by Casey Jones

A massive day on Saturday.

If Whitburn win at Kirkcaldy then I think they are as good as up. I can’t see them dropping points at home to Lochore on Wednesday.

Newtongrange could do us a favour by taking points off Dunipace. A win for the Pace will mean we would need to score at least fourteen goals in our last three games to have a chance of going top on goal difference. A tall order.

Ps, if Newtongrange beat Dunipace, St Andrews and Whitburn in the space of eight days they deserve to go up.

Congrats to St Andrews on promotion, been loosely keeping up with them the last couple of seasons due to Dundee having youth players on loan there, and the club has looked a class outfit the whole time gaining back-to-back promotions and an SFA license during that time. Would like to see them make a good effort in the Prem next season, I'm sure they will too.

A question for @patriot1, how's Lewis Lorimer got on there? Lad's only 18 but I've known of him for a while as he was starting for our reserves at 16. How has he handled the level and does he have a higher ceiling? Thanks!

44 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Congrats to St Andrews on promotion, been loosely keeping up with them the last couple of seasons due to Dundee having youth players on loan there, and the club has looked a class outfit the whole time gaining back-to-back promotions and an SFA license during that time. Would like to see them make a good effort in the Prem next season, I'm sure they will too.

A question for @patriot1, how's Lewis Lorimer got on there? Lad's only 18 but I've known of him for a while as he was starting for our reserves at 16. How has he handled the level and does he have a higher ceiling? Thanks!

I was going to say thanks for the kind words Ross but really I should be saying thanks for loaning us Lewis!!

He has been superb. Energetic, a good tackler, difficult to get past and his long range shooting ain’t bad either.

I would be delighted if we could secure him on loan for next season but it may be that Dundee will want to see him playing at a higher level. I’ll just need to enjoy watching him in our last few games.

St Andrews United are      PROMOTED   

224c9953bb03cd7cde6fece640a00dafc8be405c

St Andrews 1-0 Whitburn

Oakley 0-2 Lochore

image.png.09796731127d25c9eccb7edd7ba0eb27.png

Unusual scenario to have 2 clubs at the bottom taking a consecutive relegation; plus potentially 2 but at least 1 up top taking a consecutive promotion. Interest focuses onto remaining race for 3rd.

2 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Aye, Lewis has been class for St Andrews United this season and is in the running for some awards at the player of the year night on Saturday.  Considering he's also been playing regularly for Dundee's second string he's got some levels of fitness.  He's also got measured levels of aggression too, which is a good thing!  He looks better in central midfield than right back but it's hard to tell at this stage if he'll reach the same levels as Lyall Cameron or Luke McCowan.  However, he's still under contract at Dens next season so another year on loan (hopefully back at St Andrews United in tier six) should help his development.

Posted (edited)

2 injury time goals at Kirkcaldy,a K&D equaliser then a last minute winner,for Whitburn.

They never give in Whitburn,onto Central Park on Wednesday nite and hopefully a 3rd promotion in 3 season's.

Edited by Dav nan Gael

42 minutes ago, Dav nan Gael said:

2 injury time goals at Kirkcaldy but Whitburn prevail......................1-2,what a team .

They never give in,onto Central Park on Wednesday nite and hopefully a 3rd promotion in 3 season's.

League had it down as 2-1 kirkcaldy