First Refusal: the EOS First Division 2023-24

St Andrews have to be real dark horses, after seeing them in the flesh twice recently they have a decent squad and are well managed.

Not sure who the games in hand are against, but they must quietly fancy their chances!

Pace v Nitten 2 weeks tomorrow is going to be a huge game, but need to take care of Preston on Saturday.

its shaping up to be a great end to the season with some twists and turns to come no doubt!

Mon the Pace

6 minutes ago, searchers1963 said:

Also on this the board have decided theirs no change to relegation so the 2nd division will be running with 15 teams next season

How will they deal with relegation/promotion between the 2nd and 3rd divisions next season? One less relegation spot next year to bring it back to 16 teams for 2025/26?

Just now, stanley said:

How will they deal with relegation/promotion between the 2nd and 3rd divisions next season? One less relegation spot next year to bring it back to 16 teams for 2025/26?

Logically have to be that; or 1 more promotion from Third - albeit less orthodox especially having fewer clubs.

Slightly unexpected outcome IMO, but at least avoids a barney over picking either now, with majority games played. (Plus occurs to me this now means no scenario where Third could end up with fewer than 10 clubs next season - i.e. even if Broxburn go up but Gretna down).

30 minutes ago, Mon the Pace said:

St Andrews have to be real dark horses, after seeing them in the flesh twice recently they have a decent squad and are well managed.

Not sure who the games in hand are against, but they must quietly fancy their chances!

Sat 24 Feb          Oakley (A)
Sat 02 Mar         Heriot-Watt Uni (A)
Wed 06 Mar     Lochore (H)

Sat 09 Mar         Arniston (A)
Sat 16 Mar         Camelon (H)

Tue 19 Mar        Blackburn (A)
Sat 23 Mar
Sat 30 Mar         (LC R2)
Sat 06 Apr          Newtongrange (A)
Sat 13 Apr          Kirkcaldy & Dysart (H)
Sat 20 Apr          (LC R3)
Sat 27 Apr
Sat 04 May        Vale of Leithen (A)
Sat 11 May        Arniston (H)
Sat 18 May        Lochore (A)

no date yet       Blackburn (H)
no date yet       Whitburn (H)
no date yet       (KC R3) Ormiston/Vale of Leithen (A)

12 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Logically have to be that; or 1 more promotion from Third - albeit less orthodox especially having fewer clubs.

Slightly unexpected outcome IMO, but at least avoids a barney over picking either now, with majority games played. (Plus occurs to me this now means no scenario where Third could end up with fewer than 10 clubs next season - i.e. even if Broxburn go up but Gretna down).

I always prefer more promotions over fewer relegations but I think they'll definitely go for the one less relegation spot option. Otherwise, you'd be looking at 4 or 5 promotion spots from a potentially 10-team league.

I think what you've said about the Third Division potentially being nine clubs next season is also likely a factor in their decision. Although it's definitely a slightly unexpected outcome, I think it's a decent idea.

2 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Rosyth literally not existing and still being above Vale of Leithen is hilarious 😂

You laugh away but just short of 12 months ago the Vale’s third manager of the season had just departed and they had 6 players left. They very nearly went the same way as Rosyth just have and I don’t think anyone wanted to see that. 

Edited by Crow

2 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Rosyth literally not existing and still being above Vale of Leithen is hilarious 😂

The rules state that Rosyth finish the league in 16th so they should have been placed there now.

1 hour ago, Mon the Pace said:

Pace v Nitten 2 weeks tomorrow is going to be a huge game, but need to take care of Preston on Saturday.

its shaping up to be a great end to the season with some twists and turns to come no doubt!

Mon the Pace

Our next three ties are all games in hand on Newtongrange as the Star were due to play Rosyth yesterday and then take part in the league cup next Saturday. 

We’ll have a better position of where we stand a week on Wednesday.

1 hour ago, stanley said:

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

1 hour ago, stanley said:

I always prefer more promotions over fewer relegations but I think they'll definitely go for the one less relegation spot option.

Such a scenario has happened 3 times before - 1991-92 (Berwick EOS withdrew just as league games were about to start); 2004-05 (Threave returned to SOSL); 2009-10 (Dalbeattie returned to SOSL late in close season); every time got resolved by having 1 fewer relegation. Too far back to represent any hard-&-fast precedent though.

Interestingly in context of leaving this season's Second Division alone, only once in EOSL history has anybody been reprieved relegation or handed promotion other than when a promoted club withdrew or an emergency situation arose:

2008 closed season
Annan elected to SFL
= Selkirk (due to be relegated from Premier Division) reprieved relegation

(this caused considerable controversy but as Gretna 2008 were admitted at same time it also meant divisions of 12 & 12 not 11 & 13)

end of 2013-14
5x Premier Division clubs joined Lowland League
= Edinburgh Uni + Tynecastle reprieved relegation; Leith granted promotion; this meant divisions of 10 & 10 not 7 & 13

2015 closed season
Hibernian EOS (due to be promoted from First Division) withdrew
= Civil Service Strollers (due to be relegated from Premier Division) reprieved relegation

end of 2019-20
season abandoned and declared on PPG
= Blackburn + Whitehill + Newtongrange reprieved relegation     (Inverkeithing granted promotion on PPG as playoff v Leith could not be held)

Edited by HibeeJibee

11 minutes ago, patriot1 said:

The rules state that Rosyth finish the league in 16th so they should have been placed there now.

It'll just be the way the tables on the website are set up. 

"Winter is over" for league.

image.png.75ecef4ff4de387697667e39b1fe8216.png
image.png.53b6c25bf826a9b20ae373789bc2a564.png

Really exciting at top with Dunipace now in driving seat for title while Whitburn and St Andrews look to chase down promotion.

Oakley are desperately hoping an upturn in form can close with pack, but Vale look doomed again.

Another top performance from the Pace at home this season, first half especially they were unplayable at times, Martin France and Liam Craig were excellent on the flanks and Connor Kelly was a real handful up front holding the ball up well.

McAvoy had a decent home debut scoring the opener, but the second goal was probably pick of the bunch on the day, went in half time 3 up, an excellent header by Kelly rounding off the half.

The second half display didn’t live up to the powerful performance of the first half but woodwork and some fine saves from the Preston keeper kept the goal tally at 4. Preston managed a consolation goal from a set piece but the result was never in doubt from the first minute.

Pace remain unbeaten at home in the league and it’s another game ticked off in the promotion push, it’s the cup next away to Easthouse Lilly where I expect Danny will make a few changes before the big one against Newtongrange the following Saturday!

Hoping for a bumper crowd for the Nitten game, it’s going to be crucial in respect of how the league placings pan out, can’t wait for it!

Mon the Pace

6 minutes ago, Mon the Pace said:

Another top performance from the Pace at home this season, first half especially they were unplayable at times, Martin France and Liam Craig were excellent on the flanks and Connor Kelly was a real handful up front holding the ball up well.

McAvoy had a decent home debut scoring the opener, but the second goal was probably pick of the bunch on the day, went in half time 3 up, an excellent header by Kelly rounding off the half.

The second half display didn’t live up to the powerful performance of the first half but woodwork and some fine saves from the Preston keeper kept the goal tally at 4. Preston managed a consolation goal from a set piece but the result was never in doubt from the first minute.

Pace remain unbeaten at home in the league and it’s another game ticked off in the promotion push, it’s the cup next away to Easthouse Lilly where I expect Danny will make a few changes before the big one against Newtongrange the following Saturday!

Hoping for a bumper crowd for the Nitten game, it’s going to be crucial in respect of how the league placings pan out, can’t wait for it!

Mon the Pace

Cup game has been moved to Westfield

On 24/02/2024 at 09:47, patriot1 said:

So much for us playing our first game in hand on Newtongrange today

Oakley v St Andrews OFF

Only one game in the division yesterday, and potentially significant for the promotion spots. It adds a little pressure to St Andrews in their next 2 games, which on paper they should win, but Arniston did beat Newtongrange 3 weeks ago. 

On 23/02/2024 at 16:59, Crow said:

You laugh away but just short of 12 months ago the Vale’s third manager of the season had just departed and they had 6 players left. They very nearly went the same way as Rosyth just have and I don’t think anyone wanted to see that. 

And a win at last yesterday, although it was the League Cup? Do you know who got the goals?