Huw Edwards

I am sure your right @throbber but these photo's were at the severe end of the scale... so he might just get some jail time and allowed out straight away as there is no room for him... people sitting on motorways are the real criminals here.

edit.. yeah, he's not going to prison.

from the BBC

Philip Evans KC, the defence for Huw Edwards, reminds the court that he has submitted psychiatric reports explaining the background to the offending.

The chief magistrate indicates he will keep the case.

That means Edwards cannot be facing a term of more than one year - assuming that prison is being considered - because magistrates have limited sentencing powers.

Edited by steelmen

5 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Huw has been a given six month jail suspended sentence for 2 years. 

17 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

He'll get away with a slap on the wrist,

I'm (perhaps disproportionately) very cross about all of this.

The chief magistrate accepts the defence assertion that Edwards was too ill and/or too drunk from 2018 onwards to remember what images he viewed. Utter bollocks. Funnily enough, though, he was quite well enough to keep on pocketing big pay rises and take on more responsibilities at the BBC. 

27 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

A couple of weeks ago people were getting years in jail for inciting rioting on Facebook but a paedo gets convicted and walks from the court. 

And Bog help you if block a road.........................................

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/jul/18/five-just-stop-oil-supporters-jailed-over-protest-that-blocked-m25

38 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

A couple of weeks ago people were getting years in jail for inciting rioting on Facebook but a paedo gets convicted and walks from the court. 

The Edwards sentence seems ridiculously light, but sending those racist scum who tried to provoke murder to prison was still absolutely right.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The Edwards sentence seems ridiculously light, but sending those racist scum who tried to provoke murder to prison was still absolutely right.

This guy here got 20 months 

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-news/essex-pensioner-jailed-causing-violent-9494085.amp

26 minutes ago, throbber said:

Oh dear, how sad. You read the bit about him being a career criminal with loads of previous, yeah?

Just now, Bully Wee Villa said:

Oh dear, how sad.

I’ve no sympathy for him but he was jailed for that long for chanting whereas Edwards avoided jail for being an actual paedo who paid money for indecent images. It doesn’t give off the best signals. 

3 minutes ago, throbber said:

I’ve no sympathy for him but he was jailed for that long for chanting whereas Edwards avoided jail for being an actual paedo who paid money for indecent images. It doesn’t give off the best signals. 

He was jailed for violent disorder and the length of his sentence was decided by his numerous previous convictions.

The sentence seems perfectly reasonable.

The Edwards sentence is stupidly lenient, I agree.

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

He was jailed for violent disorder and the length of his sentence was decided by his numerous previous convictions.

The sentence seems perfectly reasonable.

The Edwards sentence is stupidly lenient, I agree.

I hadn’t read the part about his previous convictions and I’m certain he’s a complete c**t. 

The Edward sentence wasn’t a surprise given the man who’d sent him the images had only received a suspended sentence and was in possession of far more images. Also it being his first offence and an early guilty plea would have helped his case. It still doesn’t make us think that our judicial system takes paedophilia particularly seriously.

It's irrelevant what sentences other people got for whatever crime they committed, there isn't a slide rule comparison scale of sentencing, where you can go, well why is he getting this when so and so got that for what in my opinion is a more/less serious crime. That's not how it works.

They seem to have made the assertion Edwards isn't a threat to kids, and as they have no evidence of what sexual gratification he got from looking at those pics, or if he got off on it at all, they can't add that to the evidence for sentencing him. So they're just presuming he didn't get aroused looking at them and wont want to go out and sexually abuse a child. I'm sure the overcrowding of prisons has also come into it as a factor for suspending him from going to jail too.

His high profile also means he'll be recognized everywhere he goes, and the shame will follow him for the rest of his life. All of which isn't saying he should be felt sorry for, what he did has no excuse, and he's very lucky not to be serving jail time for it.